Because 13ers are underrated...

Options
JoniBologna
JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
Hey there fellow hikers. I wanted to share my most recent peak climbing experience. I climbed James Peak a few weeks ago, which is a 13er. Personally, while I love a good 14er, they are often crowded, and the trails are overused. I wanted to put the notion out there that 13ers are just as worthy, and in some cases more challenging and more beautiful. Here is a link to my blog where I have written about my climb and posted pictures:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/JoniBologna/view/climbing-james-peak-13-294ft-255190
(Sorry I am too lazy to re-upload and link all the pictures and insert the actual story here.)
I encourage you to check it out and to add a few 13ers to your peak climbing line-up this Summer. Happy trails!

Replies

• MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to do at least one 14er each month through Fall, but it would be pretty cool to get in some other hikes that are just awesome regardless of their peak elevation. I've heard Sopris is great.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I really wanna do Sopris too! That's not even a 13er, but I know it has an incredible amount of gain. We are thinking about doing Square Top Mountain on Sunday. You start at the same trail head as Bierstadt, apparently. It's about 6.5mi and 2400ft gain.
  • CDTman
    CDTman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great photo's of James Peak! I am slated to hike from Devils Thumb to Berthoud Pass, sometime in July. The trail goes up and over James Peak. Some of the blogs I've read said that there was some exposure...but the pics make it look pretty doable. 13ers are great because there's little to no crowds. Thanks for your post!!