Introductions

Options
meerkat70
meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
If you want to say hi, and a little more about who you are, this is the place.

Replies

• meerkat70
    Options
    I'm Jane, 41, lifelong feminist. I entirely lack stridency, like sex (with men, too!) and worryingly do possess at least a rudimentary sense of humour. So I'm not sure if that really allows me to be a feminist, by the standards of popular debate. But here I am, anyway.
  • justaspringhaze
    Options
    Hello! I am Eliza. I am 25 years old and have identified as a feminist since I was 10. I am in graduate school to become a social worker, and I hope to work with survivors of gender violence in my career. While I am passionate about all issues affecting women (reproductive justice, the politics of motherhood, pay equality, etc) my strongest passion is ending violence against women.

Thanks so much for starting this group, Jane!
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I'm 23, and I have been a quasi-feminist for years, but only recently have I actually begun to think about feminist issues and fight for them. I am now in the recruitment process to get into the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, where I feel that I will be able to do the most good, especially with my strong feminist instincts.

My hubby is also RCMP and a proud feminist. When he gets men into his office trying to explain why they beat up their girlfriends/wives/common-law/whatever, it's typically a story of "She's MY woman! I can do what I want with her!" My hubby gives them a good lecture, and if they start saying "My woman" he stops the conversation entirely and says "Excuse me? Say her name. She's got her own mind and her own life. You don't own her. She's not property."

I'm so proud, lol.

And Jane! Thank you SO much for starting this group!!!!! =D =D =D
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Great group! I need to go now but will come back and introduce myself soon. Left a blurb on the thread - it needed out after yesterday!
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Hey folks, I'm Megan, 28 (almost 29) year old female from MD. I saw the thread yesterday but did not post because it had devolved into a flurry of ridiculousness. I used to work in the government relations sector but left a little over a year ago. Right now I am a stay at home housewife (no kids right now) and I am glad I have a choice in what I want to do with my life. Thanks for starting this group!
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Hello :). I'm a person who doesn't believe in gender roles dictated by culture. Part of it has to do with how I was raised, I come from a family with alot of women could be why but the men in my family have never been the controlling type either (there's never been a head of household in my family and extended family that I know of) so I always felt free just do what I want and be who I am without pressures of having to act a certain way purely because of my sex and I feel very lucky for this. I don't believe I'm define as a woman but by the person I am.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I'm Jean and I'm 59. I grew up in the 60's and 70's. I filed a discrimination complaint with the Dept of Justice in 1971 under Title 9 of the 1964 Civil Rights Act against the coed college I was attending at that time. Although a private liberal arts college, it accepted some federal funding for a couple of its programs, and under that law, couldn't accept federal funding and engage in discriminatory practices. The college agreed to comply in order to continue to receive the funds.

During most of my career (I have retired and do periodic consulting) I worked in mostly male dominated industries (rail and transporation) and what have been historically guy type of jobs -- industrial engineering (including operations planning and research), finance, project management and construction, management and finally executive management. My last job and my favorite was heading up a Division of 200 guys, all union represented, responsible for capital construction and repair of a railroad and facilities in the New York New Jersey metro area. That's me in my hard hat, suited up for the day, and included steel tipped safety shoes. No cigar to chomp on though!

I appreciate having the opportunity to share this space with women like yourselves and look forward to getting to know you. Thus far, it looks like I am the older, but vibrant and foxy sage here. It's very exciting for me to be in such great company of equally vibrant and foxy younger women.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I'm Liz, 29. I've been a feminist as long as I knew what it was, which was early, since the news counted towards our TV time-- which meant we only watched the news (I almost got suspended in 3rd grade for picking a fight about political issues of the 80s), and have a long sordid story about being leaving an abusive relationship (and walking into an awesome, supportive one).

I'm in IT, listen to mostly metal and 80s new wave and dye my hair as close to non-natural as my corporate day job lets me get away with (bright bright red right now). I like to read, cook, make soap, play music too loud and will try just about any class that's on Groupon.

Good to get to know some of you so far!
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am Hayley and I am 24. I always felt that something was wrong with the world when I was a child. It took me to get to university late when I realised that there is actually a huge amount wrong and gender equality is a big issue for me. I am studying psychology and sociology at the university of Auckland, just about finishing up my second year. I still have a lot to learn and read about but right now I am delving into body politics. I am extremely interested in the sociology of food and emotions, and the psychology of cognitive dissonance and system justification. The forum boards are a scary place and it would be nice to come here now and again.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    My names Lauren am 29 and am a proud feminist.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am Teresa. I am 30. Like another one here said, we don't do gender roles. We are trying to raise our children as neutral as possible, not having gender stereotypes, like girls like have baby dolls and boys are rough and tumble.
    I believe in equality for all no matter gender or sex.

also studied sociology and have a degree in it. I did a lot of in gender studies and family dynamics when in school.

Nice to see others here :)
  • ladykat2330
    ladykat2330 Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi I am Katie and I a 30 year old from Manchester in the UK. I am glad to find some other people who don't think Feminism is a dirty word. Like others in this group (Which I thought was very interesting) I have a background in Sociology. (I have a politics and sociology degree and wrote policy for a large social housing provider).
    I often struggle with the dichotomy of wanting to be fit and healthy and thinner, whilst at the same time not wanting to get sucked into the consumerist notion that unless you have the expected body type you are some kind of failure or not a real women. ( or man it seems they are under the same pressures these days.) I struggle with celeb culture and the notion that as long as you look as what the media prescribes as ' right' you will succeed (regardless of whether you have any talent or ability). It is really nice to have found a space where I can discuss these ideas and find other like minded people. Sorry if this intro has got a bit rantey but I've been wanting to express that for a long time!
  • v_snowdrop
    v_snowdrop Posts: 59
    Options
    hi yall. new to the site, VERY shy. my *kitten* is staying private for now. i've been here less than 2 weeks, please give me time to come out of my shell, heh. I only mention this so hopefully yall wont think I'm a wierdo creep for having a private profile with no friends. i do have an LJ, but there's not much on it.

anyway, after a week of tracking my food, I started browsing the forums. A few days later I put "FEMINIST" in the search box because I found the forums to be a cesspool and I wanted to know if there was any hope. Was relieved to see this group pop up in search results.

There is some really gross stuff being posted by males (and very sad stuff being posted by girls and even grown women) and from what I've seen in my very short time here, it goes unchecked like 90% of the time. :-(
  • meerkat70
    Options
    It's lovely to meet you all. I love how varying our reasoning and our understanding of feminism is. I feel like we're off to a good start here.

Can I just remind everyone the 'groups' function on MFP is a bit pants, and that it might be a good idea to check the board here every now and again, as you won't get a notification in your feed when someone posts here.
  • SuperSneaky
    SuperSneaky Posts: 43
    Options
    Like another one here said, we don't do gender roles. We are trying to raise our children as neutral as possible, not having gender stereotypes, like girls like have baby dolls and boys are rough and tumble.

This! I hate when people assign rigid gender roles to children! My boy has long blonde hair and a baby doll. He loves the dirt, trains, and gymnastics. People generally don't respond well to it, including my family. The way I see it is that he loves to take care of his baby, pretend to feed it (he asks "is that yummy?" and it really helps him with imaginative play. He's 2 1/2.

I feel like it's really freeing to us to let him find his own interests rather than discouraging one just because some people think it's "girly."
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm Gail, 52 living in Warwickshire, UK but from Manchester originally.
    I have never labelled myself a feminist as such, mainly because I have rarely feel the need to.
    I was brought up with my sister to get involved with whatever needed doing. I helped my dad service and repair his cars and my mum cook. I went to a single sex school where the curriculum covered everything from chemistry to cricket.
    I have worked virtually all my life in commercial areas of the automotive components industry....now there's a sexist busines if ever there was one!!! I have been successful by being me, not taking any cr*p from anyone and certainly not by trying to behave like a man.
    I have been married for almost 29 years and we were together for 4 years before that....even now my in-laws with their ultra-traditional view of gender roles just don't get me!
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Like another one here said, we don't do gender roles. We are trying to raise our children as neutral as possible, not having gender stereotypes, like girls like have baby dolls and boys are rough and tumble.

This! I hate when people assign rigid gender roles to children! My boy has long blonde hair and a baby doll. He loves the dirt, trains, and gymnastics. People generally don't respond well to it, including my family. The way I see it is that he loves to take care of his baby, pretend to feed it (he asks "is that yummy?" and it really helps him with imaginative play. He's 2 1/2.

I feel like it's really freeing to us to let him find his own interests rather than discouraging one just because some people think it's "girly."

I agree 100% with this. My youngest son 'pinched' a baby doll from a friend's daughter when he was about 18 months old. It became his baby. We gave hima pushchair and a blanket and for a couple of years the baby went everywhere with him. Some friends and family thought it was weird but we didn't care...he was happy. he's now 13 going on 23, plays football and chases girls! lol
  • katycat24
    katycat24 Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi, I'm Katy. 42. Proud lifelong feminist. I am thankful I didn't see the thread that started this (I'm returning after a few months away), but am happy that it caused this group to be formed!
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I agree 100% with this. My youngest son 'pinched' a baby doll from a friend's daughter when he was about 18 months old. It became his baby. We gave hima pushchair and a blanket and for a couple of years the baby went everywhere with him. Some friends and family thought it was weird but we didn't care...he was happy. he's now 13 going on 23, plays football and chases girls! lol

My cousin and I (we're both girls) use to play Indians and would build teepees and make arrow heads and throw them at each other (okay, we were a bit violent!) and some neighbors of my aunt thought they were letting us be to much like tom boys but it was alot of fun!
  • meerkat70
    Options
    My daughter revels in her tom boy status. She's pretty cool, I think. She can be comfortably scruffy, climb trees, run, etc.... but she also can do total girly femme when she wants to (as long as the base colour is black!). She's 10 now. I hope she remains as confident in herself and in her choices as she is now.