Funny at the gym

Options
ZoeLifts
ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
I thought the Stronglifts gals would get a kick out of what happened to me this morning. Dude at the gym this morning while I am bench pressing: "you need to add more weight", me, "I'm working up to it". Note that I'm at 55 lbs, I just started SL over a week ago, so I add 5 lbs each time. Anyhoo, I go over to start my rows, which are also at 55 lbs, using the Olympic bar, which is way harder than 55 lbs on chest press for me. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the same dude doing rows as well, using two 15 lb dumbbells. LOL! I had to stop myself from going over and saying, "You need to add more weight to that!" :)

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    ahaha, "oh only 30 lbs? hmm. Do you need to add more weight to that?"

Totally bizarre that he thinks its ok to tell you what you "should" be lifting - you've got a program, and you're following it, and its none of his business
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I probably would have told him, given a nod and a grin and walked off. That is too funny.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Ive been getting a chuckle out of watching men watch me this week. I thought maybe they were getting all judgey because im not lifting much so far,but thwn realised they were probably jealous of my form,because its effin awsome (or looking at my *kitten*,lol)
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I had a bit of a giggle myself at the gym yesterday, too.

I had just finished my 65 lb. ATG squats and was doing bench presses next to the squat cage. Since I was training barefoot, I had left my shoes in the squat cage. I was resting between sets, when a trainer with a new client came by to have him do squats. The trainer, with an air of authority, asked if the shoes were mine and to move them just as I was getting up to retrieve them. I moved them out of the way, went back to the bench and was watching as the trainer had the client do his squats. Guy loads two 25 lb. plates and proceeds to do ONE set of 5 reps of HALF squats with the trainer standing behind him.:huh: Not once did the trainer comment on his form. The way these two carried on afterward, you'd think they'd just won some sort of competition. :laugh:

All I could do was roll my eyes.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My moment came when I was benching 65 lbs with no spotter, and I realized the gaggle of teenage boys next to me were only doing 55lbs, and were spotting the guy in 3 places.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I had a bit of a giggle myself at the gym yesterday, too.

I had just finished my 65 lb. ATG squats and was doing bench presses next to the squat cage. Since I was training barefoot, I had left my shoes in the squat cage. I was resting between sets, when a trainer with a new client came by to have him do squats. The trainer, with an air of authority, asked if the shoes were mine and to move them just as I was getting up to retrieve them. I moved them out of the way, went back to the bench and was watching as the trainer had the client do his squats. Guy loads two 25 lb. plates and proceeds to do ONE set of 5 reps of HALF squats with the trainer standing behind him.:huh: Not once did the trainer comment on his form. The way these two carried on afterward, you'd think they'd just won some sort of competition. :laugh:

All I could do was roll my eyes.

What a douche, there's a polite way to ask someone if they are still using a cage and that is NOT it.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Last night, I had to use one of the half racks, which is almost directly behind the other half rack.

A young, fit but skinny, guy was getting started on the other rack just as I was getting started.

I started warming up. 45 lb bar only deep squats.

He started doing front squats with the bar. (He's in front of me, remember, so I can see him. Maybe he can see me in the mirror).

I went to 65 lbs. So did he.

I went to 85 lbs. So did he.

I went to 100 lbs and started my real sets.

He deloaded and went to bar only for 2 sets of lunges.

Next up, while I'm doing overheads, were two big meatheads that use the rack for. . . .. curls.

And I never thought the gym would be that busy at 10 pm.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Last night, I had to use one of the half racks, which is almost directly behind the other half rack.

A young, fit but skinny, guy was getting started on the other rack just as I was getting started.

I started warming up. 45 lb bar only deep squats.

He started doing front squats with the bar. (He's in front of me, remember, so I can see him. Maybe he can see me in the mirror).

I went to 65 lbs. So did he.

I went to 85 lbs. So did he.

I went to 100 lbs and started my real sets.

He deloaded and went to bar only for 2 sets of lunges.

Next up, while I'm doing overheads, were two big meatheads that use the rack for. . . .. curls.

And I never thought the gym would be that busy at 10 pm.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: