Is my body trying to stop me losing weight?

Options
Lose_It_Leo
Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
I have set my calorie goal to 1350, but I keep going over. It turns out that when I do go over I am averaging my maintenance calories (1600). Do you think this is my bodies way of saying, "I like this weight, let's stay here"? I don't really need to lose very much: 5lb, but it seems like it's being held onto as tightly as possible!! I am more inclined to eat more and burn off the rest instead of simply eating under (though admittedly, I don't always exercise very hard). So yeah, any suggestions to stop me doing what I'm doing? Or should I take this as a sign that I'm at the weight I should be?

Replies

• MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    eat 1600 and exercise off the 250 - that's not a lot of exercise really:) There's no point feeling hungry/miserable!

5lb is not a lot to lose - do you really need to lose it, or is it more a matter of toning up a bit? With that little tol ose I'd be inclined to ignore the scale and just goon looks/measurements
  • ellen_v
    ellen_v Posts: 33
    Options
    Personally, if you've got that little to lose, I wouldn't be worrying about the scales, more about the fit of your clothes and body composition. Are you quite fit and toned? Adding muscle mass will make you look leaner but might make you weigh more. I know it's easy to get bogged down by a certain number - my number is 120lbs. However, I'm 130lbs at the moment and to be honest, I realistically shouldn't lose 10lbs because it wouldn't suit my body frame. Also, I generally focus on strength training like pilates and find that, even when my weight goes up, my clothes get looser. Also, unless you're very short 115lbs is already very slim! One more thing, if your body is telling you that's the amount it what's to eat, it's probably right. If you're really hungry at 1350, then eat more. That probably doesn't help, I'm just rambling!
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Personally, if you've got that little to lose, I wouldn't be worrying about the scales, more about the fit of your clothes and body composition. Are you quite fit and toned? Adding muscle mass will make you look leaner but might make you weigh more. I know it's easy to get bogged down by a certain number - my number is 120lbs. However, I'm 130lbs at the moment and to be honest, I realistically shouldn't lose 10lbs because it wouldn't suit my body frame. Also, I generally focus on strength training like pilates and find that, even when my weight goes up, my clothes get looser. Also, unless you're very short 115lbs is already very slim! One more thing, if your body is telling you that's the amount it what's to eat, it's probably right. If you're really hungry at 1350, then eat more. That probably doesn't help, I'm just rambling!

Thanks for the advice. I'm 5'8" but very very small boned so I the low weight isn't that much of a shock. I think I will try and do more strength training and change my composion instead of focusing on scales. I'll try and go by looks.