How did you find MFP?

Options
Moe4572
Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
And how many people have you encouraged to start using it?

I went to dinner with a friend, and she kept looking up the calories in every thing --what an eye opener that was!!--anyway, so she explained where she was getting the info, so I went on the site and have been here ever since--with a few short breaks.

The one person I encouraged to use it is my dad.........and he does---he tracks everything in his phone, and pretty much daily tells me in the evening how many calories he has left--kind of funny:laugh: This morning he shared that he had a 1300 calorie dinner, but only went over his daily calories by 300...........rock on, Dad!!!:tongue:

Replies

• nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I found it through it's android app. My old calorie counting app wouldn't work at my new jobsite probably due to how much connection it needed. I saw MFP, it worked, and I switched all my logging & goals over.

As for referencing it to others. People know I use it, but I don't think anyone has joined because of me. I do know they will try to be healthier though and that's always fun. :-)
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My boss has been on it for several months after a friend introduced her to it - I used to tease her about always being on her smartphone logging her food and then suddenly noticed she'd lost over 20lbs, needless to say I got straight on it! I've been using it for about 10 weeks now and absolutely love everything about it.

Several people have commented on my weightloss and a couple have said they'd like to lose some weight themselves so I've told them all about the site but they haven't taken the plunge yet. I'm sure they will when they're ready.

Love that you've got your dad using it - my mom and I started using it at about the same time and it really helps to have a family member on it as well.
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    A former roommate and one of my coworkers had told me about it and so I downloaded it and started tracking my food here (instead of tracking Weight Watchers points) and I haven't looked back since (I still go to WW for the meetings and my weigh in).

I have had 3 friends join since me...it feels pretty awesome!
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    I was tired of not being as healthy as I could possibly be, so I got a referral from my doctor to see a nutritionist. She recommended this site, and since I didn't really want to spend $100 every time I saw her, I signed up right away. I've been bad about logging lately, but I'm still eating well and exercising nearly every day, which is really the important thing.

I've encouraged my brother and my mom to start, which they both have. I recommend it to everyone when they seriously talk to me about losing weight, or even just wanting to get stronger. Right now, I'm doing both. My ultimate goal is to be a strong, healthy athlete, which will have the added benefit of making me a much stronger singer. Pretty nice!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I can't really remember! :huh: I think I stumbled upon it online one day.

I told my friends about it and about 3 of them joined, but they didnt last long. They were more into slimmers world where you dont count cals.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I can't really remember! :huh: I think I stumbled upon it online one day.

I told my friends about it and about 3 of them joined, but they didnt last long. They were more into slimmers world where you dont count cals.

I think I was just surfing on the app store, then liked it. I signed up with one name, didn't do much. Then made a new name and used it. I made it to like 320 days in a row before I didn't login for a day.

I've sent a few people here, but they're not as awesome as me. They want to lose, but they don't pay as much attention as I/we do.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I searched for a calorie counter and this was the first one I came across.

I have told numerious people about it but it is the ones that saw me logging and putting it on my facebook and twitter that actually have used it more.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    When I finally decided to get my *kitten* in gear and start caring about my weight and health back in Dec. 2009 I googled, researched and downloaded just about every single app, website, anything to do with nutrition and weight loss. Alot were bunk, required a subscription, membership fees, free to try but after a month had to pay for it.

I found MFP was my favorite since I could use my cel phone to log and it's food database, though not always accurate, was HUGE. I took time off with logging through MFP because of technical issues with my old cel phone but I am back to logging with MFP! I also found the community/forums the best compared to others. Not in terms of the people but just the general layout. Simple, easy to navigate though it has it's flaws, in my eyes they are minor.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    i found it on android market just looking for a calorie counter, i havent encouraged anyone to use it because MFP and my diet in general is somewhat of a secret
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    A local weather man wrote an article in the weekly paper about how he and his wife each lost over 50 lbs using the website. I've encouraged 6-7 people to join. Only two use it regularly though.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I found it just searching for calorie counting sites. This one was the most user-friendly that I found. For the first year I was here, I didn't add friends or use the forums or any interactive features. Just tracked food and exercise. These days, I use it more for interaction with people.

I've encouraged several people to use the site, and most of them have created a profile, but they don't stick around long. I think for most of them it's depressing to see how many calories they are actually eating and what they're going to have to cut out if they want to lose weight. So they avoid it.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    A friend and I both used a different site, she switched over to this one and I followed along.
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine told me about this site. I have told a few people about this site but only one friend who actually signed on but she hardly comes on anymore.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I had the app on my phone, but had never used it. Then one day last summer, I decided I needed to do something about my weight. I knew calorie counting worked because I had done it in the past. I wanted something that had an app *and* a website. I opened up my MFP app and low and behold it said I should visit their website. I did... and fell in love. I haven't missed a day since.

As far as encouraging people, well, I have two real life friends on here. One sorta found it on her own and the other is a girl I work with. She pretty much doesn't use the social aspect of it, and only uses the calorie counting sporadically but still, she's here. I've encouraged others, but most don't take me up on the offer :wink: