Hiking at Patapsco

Options
Venturin
Venturin Posts: 244 Member
Hello all,

On weekends I can usually be found hiking down in the Patapsco river valley near Catonsville/IIlchester. It's not far from historic Ellicott City.

I usually start on the Buzzards Rock trail and then take the Old Sawmill trail down to the river, then it's the Grist Mill trail to Ilchester and back around for hydration, a snack and another go. It's a 3 mile-ish loop that I just love.

If anyone wants to join in let me know. It's moderate difficulty with fun railroad history along the way (it's part of the Old Main Line) but if you want a challenge we can climb up Buzzards Rock.

-V-

Replies

• GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    That sounds great. I love Patapsco, the few times that I get up there. I will definitely keep it in mind and let you know. Perhaps we can get one of our meet ups out that way.
  • Venturin
    Options
    That would be fine. I know a nice 3.5 mile-ish loop that starts near the Thomas Viaduct with a bathroom next to the parking lot which would be a good jumping off point for a group.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Sounds great
  • Venturin
    Options
    Yea I really like hiking there.

In fact I may go tomorrow! A good mid-week burn on the trails..
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    I agree with GFreg above, I think this might be a great place to hold a meet up! We've held two (after this saturday) on the western-ish side of the beltway, why don't we plan to do this one in the next couple months? Thanks for bringing it up Venturin!
  • liesl78
    liesl78 Posts: 35
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. I'd love to go. Hope I can make it to that one.