Susanne Ernan

Options
meerkat70
meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/07/800-pound-bride-susanne-eman_n_1498377.html

I've been puzzling over this for a few days now. There's a photo in the slideshow of this article, of Susanne Ernan's fiance feeding her.

Is this just another acceptable choice, do you think? Or is there an element of abuse / domestic violence in 'feeding' your partner to what really does seem likely to be an untimely death?

I'm curious what other feminists might feel about this. I'll be honest and say I'm struggling to work out what I think and feel about it myself.

Replies

• hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I feel that there is an element of abuse. He is enabling her death. It is a difficult picture for me to look at. I am interested in the psychology behind his behaviour as well as hers. Whether it is 'blind love' or some form of control, I don't know.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My first reaction to this is a simple "What the HELL do you think you're doing, woman!?"

As to him feeding her, it's a puzzling situation. After all, she did 'choose' to become this morbidly obese, so is it just a 'cute' gesture that the cameramen asked for, or is it an enabling gesture? That's where I'm torn.

But then again, her 'choosing' to become this overweight could also be corresponded with the complete opposite - people with eating disorders who 'choose' to get to a number that is nearly impossible, and almost reaching that goal. Is she actually trying to get obese, or has she just given up her fight with her eating disorder? I don't know. It's a weird, weird situation, though.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think that it is difficult for anyone here that has a focus to get fit and healthy to fathom why anyone would want to do this to themselves. I wonder if this woman has reached a tipping point where she feels unable to conceive a way of addressing the health problems and the dehabilitation she will be experiencing , so instead has taken a sort of embracing and pursuing the "easier" option of going up the way instead - to take any sort of action with it? - sorry for the psychologising but it is difficult not to feel compassion for the woman trapped in this body.

The partner is killing her in the guise of kindess - is the food an element of physical interaction ? - why would anyone that professes to love someone not only watch them eat themselves to death but willingly help them and call it love? Its so very sad.

I had read that she had gone onto Dr Phil and that instead of pursuing the goal, she is going to try and address it, hopefully she will get the counselling that is needed.
  • Ryathur
    Ryathur Posts: 16
    Options
    On one hand, I do believe that everyone has a right to choose and be what weight they feel best at. My attempt at losing weight doesn't mean that I believe those who are overweight should be forced into losing weight.

On the other hand, this is a similar case to anorexic women on the forums wanting to be around 80 pounds. It would be enabling a disorder by encouraging those women on, so wouldn't it be the case with this woman? Healthy should be the goal, and what she is doing definitely isn't healthy. On top of it all, she has children.

This is a very difficult case to judge.
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    well if he was supplying her with heroine and she died he’d be prosecuted for supplying and contributing to her death, to me this is just another drug of choice, although food it not a classified drug his intent is the same as if it were xx
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options

The partner is killing her in the guise of kindess - is the food an element of physical interaction ?

i disagree that its kindness, its sexual gratification, see UK’s channel 4 ‘my big fat fetish'