Women's road bikes

2»

Replies

• zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    I think the women's cannondale synapse has different geometry than the men's, at least it did in 2009 when I researched the heck out of this and bought a Synapse Red.

Cannondale seems to go back and forth. When I bought my 2010 they were the same...last year men's and women's were the same, too. This year they appear to be different, again. Not sure why they've done that.
  • beachgrad05
    beachgrad05 Posts: 85 Member
    So with Trek, there IS a difference between the frames.

On the Trek example, the top tube and seat tube were different by 5mm or less (<1%) - that's tiny. The reach was 2%. I was surprised at the difference in head tube length, though - which affects the rider "uprightness" by a noticeable amount. Of course, numbers are numbers. If the women's bike fits better, then it's the right choice. Agreed.

With Trek, their women's bikes have a more upright riding position they refer to as H3. Of course, you can modify that by changing out the stem and such.
  • beachgrad05
    beachgrad05 Posts: 85 Member

Assuming they actually honor their warranty. In the past year I have read several really horrid accounts of Trek dropping customers.

I know 2 folks that broke Gary Fisher 29er (aka Trek) frames, which were replaced by Trek. (I suspect it was a known design flaw, hence "no questions asked".) Of course, Trek/GF's frame warranty policies are now noticeably more restrictive (several MTB models are now excluded). The problem is, I don't know that many "normal" riders (i.e., not racers) that break frames - it's almost always the other stuff, which isn't always covered. I think a lot of it boils down to how supportive your local Trek bike shop is. I have had bad luck with mine, too. They're super helpful when selling you the new bike, but not so much when you have a problem with said bike and need warranty work done. :grumble:

I recently had to replace my 3.1 Apex due to a crash that damaged the frame. As it was due to a crash and not MFG defect, the warranty did not come into play. However, Trek and my LBS worked together to get me a great deal on a crash replacement bike. I upgraded to the 4.5 complete bike and will get everything off the 3.1 and Trek will get the frame to recycle. My LBS has done a great job.