Coffee > Constipation

Options
Bikini_Bound150
Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
**WARNING - TMI**

I know I'm not supposed to have coffee (or "too much" depending on who I ask) but this whole constipation thing is KILLING ME! I had my first cup of coffee in over a week today and I feel SO much better!!!!

How can I give up coffee and not get constipated?? I try to eat plenty of fiber but it's really not helping! YUCK! Help me :sad:

Replies

• FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Decaf! :)
  • katkada
    katkada Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I completely quit coffe my first month and it was horrible.....theres the constipation but also you feel like crap. I would recommend only 1 cup of coffee a day.
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I really looove my coffee. I usually make a weakish batch in the morning and have three cups. I use half or less of the usual amount of grounds. I cannot stand decaf. I'm not too worried about it. I drink tons of water to balance it out.
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I guzzle massive water in the morning ...usually at least 20 oz of water with a 8oz coffee caffinated everyday....i also get at least 25 grams of fiber a aday...i take magniseum calctrate...this is a god send to help with pooping....I'm 30 weeks and i'm had only a couple of days where i felt really uncomfortable and that's because i drink enough water and didn't get my walk in....walking always make me have to go!!! literally in the middle of my walk or prenatal interval training....if your not walking or anything this is absolutley solve that problem! hahaha good luck!
  • dq1479
    dq1479 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Drink a cup a day. I gave up coffee for my first until the end of my second trimester, I had one cup a day. It was glorious. Now I am pregnant with my second and except for 3 weeks when I had a lot of morning sickness I drink one cup a day.

I am big on everything in moderation though so I say don't give it up. This is supported by my OB who told me not to drink a pot a day but other than that go for it. But that will be your decision at the end of the day. Now if you wrote you wanted to eat a rare steak with sushi on top I may say - ummm....not the best idea. One cup of coffee a day.....you, your bowels and your sweet boo will be so much happier!
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Makes me feel like an old lady, but prune juice has been the only thing to help me in that area. Not every day, and not too much, because it really is a natural laxative. I tried increasing exercise, water intake, fiber intake, all of those. Nothing helped. Now, I'm way more comfortable!