New to the church and this group :)

Options
Hi all,

My name is Jess. I was confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints just two months ago and I can sincerely say it is giving me the greatest happiness I've ever known in my life. I have been on a weight loss journey for several years. My weight started going up at my first office job (chili cheese fries for lunch didn't help) until I had gained about 40 lbs! I lost 20 of those but now I fear i have regained almost 10, so I feel as though I am almost starting from scratch.

I really like this site and how it lays out exactly what we have to do to achieve our goals.

I would be really curious to know how you all incorporate your faith and/or scripture study into helping you in this weight loss journey. The concept of combining diet and religion is very new to me!

Hope you all had a lovely weekend!

Replies

• LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm glad you found us (in both senses).

I don't know that DW and I necessarily have incorporated scripture study into our weight loss, but I have been studying the Word of Wisdom a TON as we progress in being Flexitarians and learn a lot about nutrition and health.

If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know!
  • Spriggan
    Spriggan Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi there - just wanted to congratulate you on both joining the church and finding this place.

Like Lord Bezoar, I have been reading the Word of Wisdom lately and applying it to myself. My diet plan consists of mainly veg, fruit and some dairy with a little meat as and when.

Not sure if that is any help - just got in from work and probably rambling a little bit.
  • raggyanndoll
    raggyanndoll Posts: 176
    Options
    Welcome to the church and to the group!!

I am amazed at how much I hear about maintaining good health when I really listen at church or conferences. I may not hear the words "diet", "exercise", or even "nutrition" but I do hear what need to when I listen. D&C says that anything that edifies or uplifts is of God. I know that the Lord wants me to take care of the body he gave me and I have felt his support as I have struggled with food and exercise. It is such a beautiful match!

So glad to see you here!
  • joycelparker
    Options
    Welome to the church! So happy you found us. Looking forward to sharing our progress both temporally an spiritually. :)
  • rosebayer
    rosebayer Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

My name is Jess. I was confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints just two months ago and I can sincerely say it is giving me the greatest happiness I've ever known in my life. I have been on a weight loss journey for several years. My weight started going up at my first office job (chili cheese fries for lunch didn't help) until I had gained about 40 lbs! I lost 20 of those but now I fear i have regained almost 10, so I feel as though I am almost starting from scratch.

I really like this site and how it lays out exactly what we have to do to achieve our goals.

I would be really curious to know how you all incorporate your faith and/or scripture study into helping you in this weight loss journey. The concept of combining diet and religion is very new to me!

Hope you all had a lovely weekend!

First off, WELCOME TO THE CHURCH!!! :-D I've been a member for 2 years (3 in October) and joining this church has been the best decision I have made or ever will make. And second, Welcome to the group! :)

There are plenty of scriptures that can help inspire us to reach our goals:

1 Corinthians 6:19-20, “Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.”

1 Corinthians 10:31, “Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.”

Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”

2 Timothy 4:7, “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.”

I run cross country at BYU - Idaho and 2 Timothy 4:7 is something we're focusing on this season. I think that our health and fitness prove to be a great metaphor for gospel principles. And sometimes for me, I can feel so overwhelmed by everything I have to improve on and I feel like I've started this journey later than some, but it matches up perfectly with where I'm at in my fitness level too. I have so much to improve on, and I'm finally taking control of my life and starting my weight loss journey, but no matter where I'm at now, the important thing is that I'm working towards it. Losing weight and improving my fitness help me to practice perseverance and endurance and encouraging others along the way to do the same. And when I start beating myself up over stupid stuff that I do in my spiritual journey, it makes me think about how if I linger on mistakes I make in my fitness journey and I just beat myself up about it, I don't get anywhere, so I just have to repent and move on. I'm sorry if I'm just jabbering right now. It's like 3:30am and I ran a midnight 5k and I'm exhausted and I probably needed to hear this more than I'm helping you right now, but I really hope that you find success in both your spiritual and weight loss/fitness journey and I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well!