Runner Friends who like to eat!

Options
Hi Guys

i have a few inspiring runner friends on here that know that to perform you can't starve your body on 1200 cals or less, and I would like a few more!

I'm marathon training at the moment and running 35+ miles per week, increasing weekly. I normally lift weights also, although this is on hiatus for a week or so as I am recovering from a neck injury

I get fraustrated by people who think it's healthy to push their bodies to breaking point through cardio and not refuling properly; I would die on 1200 cals a day!

I'm on MFP to maintain and continue to learn about better nutrition, find out the best way to get the most out of my body, and keep pushing for peak performance through a healthy diet and lifestyle. The friends I have so far that are runners provide me with motivation and great meal ideas, and have helped me with my macros and ideas to satiate my massive appetite effectively, please add me if you have a similar mindset!

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Nice to hear!
    Hi Guys

i have a few inspiring runner friends on here that know that to perform you can't starve your body on 1200 cals or less, and I would like a few more!

I'm marathon training at the moment and running 35+ miles per week, increasing weekly. I normally lift weights also, although this is on hiatus for a week or so as I am recovering from a neck injury

I get fraustrated by people who think it's healthy to push their bodies to breaking point through cardio and not refuling properly; I would die on 1200 cals a day!

I'm on MFP to maintain and continue to learn about better nutrition, find out the best way to get the most out of my body, and keep pushing for peak performance through a healthy diet and lifestyle. The friends I have so far that are runners provide me with motivation and great meal ideas, and have helped me with my macros and ideas to satiate my massive appetite effectively, please add me if you have a similar mindset!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hey, I thought we were already friends (I try to add all the ladies from the 2000+ group) but I guess I missed you. Adding you now....
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Me me me...but we're already friends...lol. I'm in the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group. There's several runners in the group.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello! Sounds like we view food/nutrition and fueling for running the same way! I'm a small person with a BIG appetite for both food and for running. I just can't see myself eating so little with all the running I do. I'm trying to improve, not hinder performance by lack of food. I am training for my next marathon as well.

Any other runners who like to eat, feel free to add me. I love watching people improve and excel in the sport, no matter what fitness level you're at, whether a newbie or seasoned runner...
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    DId someone say "eat"? Nom nom nom...

Avg intake: ~ 2500 yummy calories daily :bigsmile:
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well (anyone on here). I can't imagine trying to run on only 1200 calories a day! I love to eat!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Sending you a request now!
  • Freaky3kirsty
    Freaky3kirsty Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat back the majority of my calories taking me well over the 1200 MFP recommend.

I couldnt maintain my half marathon training on 1200 it just silly to push your body this way.

It is not healthy your need fuel!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i don't really follow the whole macro thing (apart from sodium, that seems to be a bit of a bugger). but when i'm training i eat back my cals and then sometimes more! tbh i'm not really too bothered about my weight, but i am bothered about my fitness.

i don't know how people who consume so little energy run sometimes! i couldn't. i only fairly recently found energy gels for long runs, and they've made the world of difference.

i think that there are far too few things in life that we can really appreciate and enjoy, and that food is one of them. i'm not going to let anyone take that away from me just to have a smaller bum!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Currently laid off from long runs, but I love running and I love eating every damn calorie I burn! I can easily get over 2,500 calories down me the day of a long 'un.
  • Emilit_uk
    Emilit_uk Posts: 87
    Options
    Wow, what a great response, thanks guys, and happy running!
  • sarahkbarnes
    Options
    One eating distance runner here! Feel free to add me :)
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add.. Infact, I'll send you an invite. Just completed a marathon and now aim to get into Triathlons (want to do Olympic distance as I'm told this is closest to a Marathon in effort)

Completely agree with you - even if you are trying to loose weight when training net daily deficit shouldn't be more than 500 Cals. And in an ideal world the food you eat will be quality!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I'd send you all FR\'s, but I'm too busy eating! :blushing:

NOM NOM NOM!
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You can add me! I have my base at 1250 but on workout days usually eat 2000+ calories. For that matter, on non running days I still go over my calories lol! I have lost 20 lbs since january and I run about 100 miles a month. Shooting for more next month. I have ran a 5k and 10k this year and will probably do a halfy soon. When I am not trying to lean out I can eat whatever the heck I want as long as I keep running:drinker:
    exercise.png
    [/url]
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    i only fairly recently found energy gels for long runs, and they've made the world of difference.
    bonjour (& anyone else!), I'd be interested to know what brand you're using. I haven't experimented with gels yet but will begin training for my first half in a couple of months so I'm always looking for ideas.

My longst run to date is only 7ish miles so I really haven't reached a point where I NEED in-run nutrition yet.

cowgirls, we had the same June goal! Congrats on exceeding yours!!

exercise.png
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Ooh, everyone here add me! I browse the food diaries of some of my current MFP friends who eat 1200 calories a day, and start to have crazy thoughts of my own that I should do the same.

Then I remember, wait, I'm running 20-30 miles each week training for a marathon (and lifting on off days). It'd be nice to have friends with similar food goals and fueling plans, so I can see if I'm doing it right.

Definitely don't want to underfuel and sabatoge my first marathon!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Energy gels:

I use High 5 + (the ones with caffine). You need one roughly every 20-30 minutes after you have run for an hour - HOWEVER - I have started using energy drinks instead (or over 15 miles as well as) as its less to carry... I find a sip every half mile to a mile is about perfect. I think I might switch back to water + gels in the heat though as I get through a lot more liquid.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    ENERGY GELS-

i use leppin gels, and i only drink water. i actually have a camelbak, and put the bladder in the freezer so i always have nice cool water to drink on long runs.

like i said, i use leppin gels, but that's because i get them for free. i've tried the chews and hate how they make my teeth feel all cacked up. the gels are also pretty grim (they taste repulsive), but the lesser of the evils because you just put in in your mouth then take a glug of water to wash it down and it's gone. some people chew jelly beans but again i don't like how they make my mouth feel all claggy and cack.

it's trial and error.