Squat form check

Options
_HeathBar_
_HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
Form check please, I posted this on my news feed but I figured I'd get more responses here.

Video:
http://youtu.be/l1DOTFojp6U

Some background info: Squats have been causing me bad lower back pain, I'm sure my reason is my form. I desperately need help with it, it's been really difficult for me to correct due to my severe hamstring inflexibility. In regards to depth, I normally squat deeper then this but I'm practicing going just barley past parallel instead of ATG (apparently going ATG with low-bar can cause lower back issues per a SL article).

So far the general consensus is my back is over arched and I'm leaning forward too much.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    bumping so maybe some of my lifting friends will see....
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    From what I can see, looks pretty awesome to me. Your back looks great. I can't see your feet or how deep you are going though.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing an arch in your back at all, quite the opposite actually. Looks like you're getting pretty low, but as Rae mentioned the camera cuts out towards the bottom of the lift. All in all, looking good girl!
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Oh and I forgot to add, your *kitten* looks wonderful.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Alright, some of my friends say you might be over-arching your back and your neck. Try to keep a more neutral position. And someone said your bar might be *too low*.
  • _HeathBar_
    Options
    Oh and I forgot to add, your *kitten* looks wonderful.

:blushing: Thank you, genetics have blessed me with a big booty.
    Alright, some of my friends say you might be over-arching your back and your neck. Try to keep a more neutral position. And someone said your bar might be *too low*.

Thank you.

Here is some feedback I got from a friend I trust. I want to share it with everyone in case someone else is struggling with the same things I am.

1. You're using too much lower back and not enough hips. You're doing more "bending over" rather than "sitting back." Bending over a bit at the bottom of a squat is fine, but you're doing it at the beginning, at the same time your hips are moving. You butt dropping should be be the first thing that happens. To learn how to do this:
    -squat slowly with light weight to practice your form. Really focus on "pushing your butt down."
    -do box squats: http://stronglifts.com/build-explosive-strength-how-to-perform-box-squats/
    -do goblet squats: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/goblet_squats_101

2. From what I can see, you're doing "butt winking" at the bottom portion. Your butt goes down and then kinda tucks underneath you when you get to the bottom. This is putting a ton of stress on your lower back. This is typically an issue of of poor hamstring flexibility, although it could also be a glute or even an ankle mobility issue. The bottom line is that you're squatting a bit lower than what you current flexibility allows. If you can see what I'm talking about in your video, you should be squatting right until the point where you butt starts to tuck under. Any lower is too low for you right now. In the meantime, you can work on your flexibility.

3. Strengthen your lower back with good mornings: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBBentKneeGoodMorning.html and back extensions: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/back-extension-technique.html

4. While you're trying to work all these issues out, a good weightlifting belt can help ease the stress on your lower back.

5. Make sure you're wearing a good flat-bottomed shoe, or squatting barefoot. For the love of God, don't squat in running shoes.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options

5. Make sure you're wearing a good flat-bottomed shoe, or squatting barefoot. For the love of God, don't squat in running shoes.

Really??? Uh oh...:grumble:
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

Yep. If you watch the Rippetoe videos, I think it's on an overhead press where he says, "Squishy shoes suck!"

Chuck Taylors are often recommended.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options

Yep. If you watch the Rippetoe videos, I think it's on an overhead press where he says, "Squishy shoes suck!"

How funny because I got some squishy shoes! I'll check into those, thanks!
  • Qarol
    Options
    And they come in PINK!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy3dhSsXzXQ
  • _HeathBar_
    Options
    And they come in PINK!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy3dhSsXzXQ

I love your pink chucks! I have white and camo ones, but if they had pink at the time I would have gotten them too.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

For those that like being barefoot, but their gym doesn't allow it, I recommend a pair of Vibram Five Fingers. But then, I am a little biased (I love me VFFs). :)
  • Qarol
    Options
    I love your pink chucks! I have white and camo ones, but if they had pink at the time I would have gotten them too.
    I want to find clear ones. It doesn't appear they make them anymore, tho...

clear-converse.jpg?et=QtTF9%2CPnvy%2ChKOnKCf6b3g&nmid=0
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I also wear chucks. Mine are a pink-ish purple.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm able to squat barefoot at my gym. I can really tell the difference, even though my shoes aren't at all squishy.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I noticed the neck, too. Rippetoe says to look at the ground in front of you to keep your neck in that neutral position. I've been really focusing on this the last few workouts, and I was amazed what a difference it made.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

I noticed the neck, too. Rippetoe says to look at the ground in front of you to keep your neck in that neutral position. I've been really focusing on this the last few workouts, and I was amazed what a difference it made.

I've heard mixed messages about the neck. I have heard many times to look up and focus on a spot above parallel, so this always confuses me. On the videos at so you think you can squat, that is what they say, but I have seen Rippetoe say to look at the ground. I feel like I am too far forward if I look at the ground, though. Who knows!! :sad:

On the video, I agree, in my limited experience you look good, but I concur with the comments about using more hip, less back. I de-loaded on Wednesday to do box squats and focus on getting back on my heels, which helps feel it more in the hip.

ETA: I bought purple chucks last weekend and they help a ton! :smile: