Are you training for a race?

Options
Swanson83
Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
I finished my first half marathon two weeks ago. Before Friday I hope to register for #2 :happy: that is on August 26th. Since I just finished up on my training for my half I am hoping to focus on keeping up the miles and work on speed work.

I will have 12 weeks to train for this half marathon. I plan on running everyday except Sundays and Thursdays. My short/easy runs will be 3-4 miles and starting out my long runs will be 6-7 miles. This time around I will be adding weight lifting to my training schedule three times a week.

So, are you training for any races? What does your training schedule look like?

Replies

• pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Training for my first Marathon in October. My training plan is still in progress!!

I'm running about 47 miles on high mileage weeks and 36 miles on low mileage weeks at the moment. I do a long run every two weeks. As get up to 18 mile and over runs it will be every 3 weeks. That's as far as my plan had gotten until. Kind of headless running. Just go out and run as far as I can as often as I can.

After some very good input from people on this forum I've added hill work now starting tomorrow which improves your recovery and stamina. I will alternate this every week with speed work (i.e. warm up, running 10 minutes at very high pace, jog break, 10 more minutes, etc.). Have no idea how this will go as I've never really done it before.

Best of luck with your race.
  • flemmish51
    flemmish51 Posts: 7
    Options
    I would like to do a 10th marathon. My ninth ended (finished in about 3:17) with Achilles Tendonitis which ruined me for 2 years before I could really train again - then a bunch of minor injuries (all run related) and now, 10 years later, I'm still at nine marathons. my biggest problem now is motivation. I run about 30mpw on hilly courses. Long run is 10 miles. But I can't seem to mentally commit to stretching out the long run past 10. I weight train 1-2 times a week (mostly upper body). Anyone have some motivation helpers?
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Mine is nothing like all those that are doing marathons, but I'm working on going from 5K to 10K. I've done 2 5K's after finishing the C25K this spring. Now I'm trying to work on adding my distance to bump to a 10K I've signed up for in Sept. I'm of no help with the 10 miles, sorry. I just hope to some day run 10 miles straight! I think its awesome you can.
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    @Superbritt - I'm with you on this!

Completed C25K in March then did B210K which I completed in May. Now entered my first 10k for several years. This is at the end of this month and looking forward to it.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    @Superbritt - I'm with you on this!

Completed C25K in March then did B210K which I completed in May. Now entered my first 10k for several years. This is at the end of this month and looking forward to it.

Oh let me know how it goes!!! I can use any and all advice. I'm hopeful to eventually join those amazing marathoners but am focusing on breaking it up to keep me from getting in over my head. :)
  • pabscabs
    Options
    @KahuNZ best of luck in your 10K ...... it's hard but very rewarding

@Superbritt I started the exact same way about 2 years ago. I couldn't run even a half mile when I started. (Still have days when it feels like I can't). Personally, I think the hardest distance to run is that first mile. You've already run 2 and half times that distance.

3:17 is absolutely amazing. I couldn't do 18 miles in that time (with a bike !!)

Personally there is no way I could run non stop for 26.2 miles. I'll be stopping frequently (walk breaks) and if I'm lucky and avoid injuring myself. I'll hopefully finish somewhere between 4.30 and 5 hours. If you can run a 10K without stopping you can train to run 40K with a few breaks ... doesn't matter how you get there once you have will to try.

Best of luck to all of you in your upcoming running adventures.
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    You need to read my blog on my upcoming 10k but would appreciate any advice. 12 days to go!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KahuNZ
  • pabscabs
    Options
    Hi KahuNZ,

I'm not a great person to ask advice from. I tend to like running longer as well even though I know it's not going to help me get better and quicker. I just love the time to myself. I'm not a very good runner and I have only been running 2 to 3 years. There are people on this site who know all about this stuff.

This is your first 10K. Sounds like you are more than prepared for it already. Running 70 minutes is a 10K. That's it. The small runs are to give you time to recover and improve your speed / endurance. More importantly to stop you injuring yourself.

My advice is simple. You're ready now. You can run the distance now. You have run the distance in the gym already.

This is the advice I was given below and it's all good advice but like I said you're ready. Enjoy it.

- Don't run too much the week before

- Do NOT go out too fast and forget about running a time - This is realy important.
    My first half marathon I got caught up in the whole thing ran the first 9 miles way faster than I should have and damaged my knee. The remaining 4.1 miles were agony and it ruined the experience. run at your own pace and finish the race. 10K is 6.21 miles and it's an achievement in itself. (It's a quarter of a marathon)

- It's ok to stop smell the roses, have some water and enjoy yourself, you can go for the world record on your second 10K.

- Be carefull what you eat and when you eat. I like to be almost hungry. you really don't want to much food bouncing around in your stomach if you get my meaning. this is as true for a 10k as a marathon.

Pabs
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    @pabscabs
    Thank you for your advice. I am not a fast or strong runner and don't care about time but just want to complete it. I feel better now and will do some longer runs this week without overdoing it.
    Thanks
  • pabscabs
    Options
    @KahuNZ
    I'm not fast or strong either. Try and enjoy it even when you're tired and your feet hurt a bit. As they say in my part of the world "May the road rise to meet you". Have a good one.

P.S. If none of that works think of the goody bag .....
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    @KahuNZ
    I'm not fast or strong either. Try and enjoy it even when you're tired and your feet hurt a bit. As they say in my part of the world "May the road rise to meet you". Have a good one.

P.S. If none of that works think of the goody bag .....
    LOL - your quote " May the road rise to meet you" wont work - I hate hills :smile:
    I feel better now, think I was having freak thoughts about running 10K (just nerves) but I will be ok. Hitting the pavement and will do it!
  • Laurenazz
    Options
    not necessarily training but .. wouldnt mind running in another 5k very soon / and doing a half marathon (although the half marathon seeeems really far out there)
  • oviedom81
    oviedom81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first 10K that takes place on September 30th. We are up to 5.5 miles this week, Our group ran it in 58 minutes. I want to train for my first half marathon in January.
  • pabscabs
    Options
    @oviedom81 - The 10K is 6.21 miles, if I remember correctly, so even running at your training pace you'd do it in about 66 minutes which is a very respectable 10K. The fastest 10K I have ever run, in a race is 52 minutes. Frequently it takes me 62 to 66 minutes and I run 10K into work usually at least once a week. So you can see how fit you already are.

If you keep training and run your own race (don't look at your watch) I'll bet you'll finish around the 59 or 60 minute mark. See you're already faster than me an it's your first race...... best of luck on your 10K.

I'm running a 10 mile race for my sins on Sunday in Phoenix Park in Dublin, part of the marathon race series ...... could be a train wreck not running great last few weeks. Just going to close my eyes, accept the pain and dream of the Goody Bag at the end :happy:
  • pabscabs
    Options
    @KahuNZ ..... how did you get on in the race?