Any planet fitness members here?

Options
I was going to wait to start strong lifts till after my surgery.

I'm a member of planet fitness. I went to the gym this morning and was going to check out their power rack and weights for when I start and they apparently don't have one.

All they have is smith machines for squats and pretty much everything in strong lifts.

They DO have a rack of barbells with fixed weights that I can start with that start at 5 lbs, but they only go up to 65lbs. The free weights just go up to 50 I think.

Are there any other planet fitness members doing this? Joining another is not possible for the next few months at least

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I hear Planet Fitness does not allow Olympic or Powerlifting at some of their facilities.

You will not be able to lift properly with a Smith Machine.

Can you join another gym?
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    Not till I pay off that gallbladder surgery I'm having June 15th off. It's taking up my entire out of pocket maximum with my insurance.

The planet fitness I go to is pretty minimally monitored, so I'm hoping no one says anything to me if using those pre weighted barbells work till I am able to join another gyn
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm at Planet Fitness doing this program. I still do all of the lifts on the Smith Machine. Many people are against it because the form is slightly different and you aren't working your stabilizing muscles. Whatever. If that's what you have, then it's better than nothing. Just do the moves as best you can with proper form so you don't hurt yourself. Then, when you join another gym, just be prepared to decrease the weight a little bit to transition to Olympic weights.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but Planet Fitness is the worst gym to do any kind of serious weight training, or any kind of serious training at all really.

I would recommend finding a new gym with proper weight training equipment. You won't get free pizza but you will get much stronger (and hopefully better looking as well :wink: )

Since it seems you are stuck here for a while though maybe you can do Goblet Squats with their dumbbells. I'm not sure about the rest of the moves, unfortunately with a gym as bad as planet fitness you're going to be really limited.
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    I'm sorry but Planet Fitness is the worst gym to do any kind of serious weight training, or any kind of serious training at all really.

I would recommend finding a new gym with proper weight training equipment. You won't get free pizza but you will get much stronger (and hopefully better looking as well :wink: )

Since it seems you are stuck here for a while though maybe you can do Goblet Squats with their dumbbells. I'm not sure about the rest of the moves, unfortunately with a gym as bad as planet fitness you're going to be really limited.

Or tootsie rolls :(

I downloaded the new rules of lifting for women to my kindle and have started reading. I might have to switch to that program while I'm stuck at planet fitness
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

Or tootsie rolls :(

I downloaded the new rules of lifting for women to my kindle and have started reading. I might have to switch to that program while I'm stuck at planet fitness

Yes, NROL4W is a better fit -- it uses a lot of dumbbells and machines. Once you get to a new gym and free weights, DO start with an empty Olympic bar and work up. You will be shocked at the difference between the Smith and free weights.
  • Blaqheart
    Blaqheart Posts: 235
    Options
    <~~~~ all thanks to Planet Fitness:heart::heart:

My husband and I are members of Planet Fitness. If it wasn't for them I couldn't have done what I have the past month. I like my gym and the staff. They are knowlegable and nice. Also no one is rude to anyone we are all there with a purpose - meeting our individual unique goals. No they don't want to be just a gym for gym goers. Their goal is to get everyone off the couch and up exercising no matter your weight or gender. Our country is in serious trouble when 2/3 of the population are severely obese! Kudos to them for even trying such a monumental feat.

Believe me when I started going I was somewhat intimidated by the more "seasoned" members. Who wouldn't be if you'd never been to a gym before? Some of these guys are huge! After going for two weeks and using the equipment I started to relax and feel better. Those huge guys are actually nice. They are members so if they're huge something there is working right. :huh:

Something amazing happened this past month when I wasn't paying attention or even realizing it as my goal; I finally started to gain weight and developing muscles. I have tried all my life to gain, but nothing worked. The program my trainer at Planet Fitness helped me develop in fact done that. I am damn proud of the accomplishments I'm making.:drinker:

I began "Butt Bible" last Mon so I could get more glute, leg, and ab work. It is a tough workout believe me you will feel it working. I survived the first week of lvl 1 and again I'm damn proud of myself.

On Thurs I eliminated several of the machines in 30 min circuit because they were redundant since I'm adding "Butt Bible" to my program. Once I begin the 5x5 I will prob only be using 1 - 4 machines until I am stronger. I'm quite small and just starting to develop strength.

I actually heard about 5x5 two days ago and decided to research this. Sounds good, but had no idea what to do until I found out about this group today. I will be starting 5x5 come Mon with my hubby. I'm going to use 5x5 a lot differently than the program dictates. I have to adapt it to fit me not the other way round. I have Fibro and I have learned go SLOW so whatever I'm doing will not flare pain. overwork + pain = out of game. Oh and you get some very colorful dialogue from my mouth. :laugh:

We have some squat racks (2) at ours with a removable bench. Smith or whomever they've named it is where we'll be doing the work.:glasses:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Blaq, a smith machine is generally not recommended for squats because it forces your body into an unnatural motion (straight up and down) while squatting. You should be able to press a bar over your head for a while and then situate it for squatting but when it gets heavier you will probably need a squat rack.
  • tameko2
    Options
    I have also heard that some planet fitness are VERY strict about not allowing deadlifts at all (while others are ok as long as you do the full negative motion and lower the weights slowly)
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'd do goblet squats forever before going the Smith machine route.
  • Blaqheart
    Options
    I have also heard that some planet fitness are VERY strict about not allowing deadlifts at all (while others are ok as long as you do the full negative motion and lower the weights slowly)

Not heard this and I am a member I did talk to my trainer on Thurs and told her what I'm revamping my program to. I also fully explained to her about 5x5. She never said we couldn't do the program nor did any other staff members. I do see the point about throwing weights or dropping weights. I don't think it would be right to do such actions because you could hurt someone or even yourself.
  • Blaqheart
    Options
    I'm at Planet Fitness doing this program. I still do all of the lifts on the Smith Machine. Many people are against it because the form is slightly different and you aren't working your stabilizing muscles. Whatever. If that's what you have, then it's better than nothing. Just do the moves as best you can with proper form so you don't hurt yourself. Then, when you join another gym, just be prepared to decrease the weight a little bit to transition to Olympic weights.

Yes just use what you have for now it's a damn sight better than nothing. I am going to start on Mon using Mr. Smith or Miss sally. I don't care what they name them I'm not snobby nor picky. :bigsmile:

I really love my gym because they really mean what their motto says, "You belong". That means EVERYONE not just a certain group. You know what? I really do feel I belong and no one is more a member than another just because they can lift 500lbs.:noway: Fitness isn't about that nor should you be competing with anyone besides yourself.

also they are the only gym to offer Red Light Therapy. If this wasn't available to me I'd never be able to work out.

I also can work out 24/7 including holidays in any of the rooms I choose. I tan, get my red light therapy, ride any recumbent bike, stationary bike, run treadmill, or use the elliptical. Plus I massage on hydro bed and have a personal trainer anytime I want with half off water or Gatorade my choice all for affordable $20 a month. Not to mention no one is rude, there's no equipment hogging, no bullying about which equipment is better, all the equipment is always clean and working properly, all staff is extremely friendly and knowledgeable. Hell every staff member knows me by name and I've only been there a month!

I'm pretty sure that the attitudes like here I have encountered is EXACTLY why real people like me have always avoided gyms. I'm not going to pay to be bullied, harassed, or mistreated all because someone thinks their program is the best. It might turn out that it isn't for me or may be something I can't use.

Like I said I have only been working out at the gym for a month. I know I made the right decision joining Planet Fitness than another gym. Planet Fitness attitude rocks and if this is an example of the attitude you get at a "real" gym well the attitude is bullyish and sucks!

Daymn I'll buy a squat rack with weights before I ever darken a "real" gym door! Shame on you fore bad attitude.:huh:
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you get what you need out of your gym. I have heard stories that make me cringe from people seeking to do the Big Three lifts at a PF. The "Lunk Alarm" as a very concept turns me off to PF. I am lucky that my community rec. center offers bumper plates, assisted pullup machines, bodyfat analysis and a slew of old folks to cheer me on. I was teaching some 60ish nurses how to squat on Friday morning and they are coming out to see me lift at my first powerlifting meet. I wouldn't have been able to work toward the goals I set at a Smith-machine only, don't-drop-your-deadlift-or-we'll-sound-an-alarm gym...but more power to you if it's working for you!
  • tameko2
    Options

Not heard this and I am a member I did talk to my trainer on Thurs and told her what I'm revamping my program to. I also fully explained to her about 5x5. She never said we couldn't do the program nor did any other staff members. I do see the point about throwing weights or dropping weights. I don't think it would be right to do such actions because you could hurt someone or even yourself.

Like I said, I have heard SOME are very strict about it, I didn't say that it applied to your particular gym.

also... your long post kind of implied that MY gym sucks. I'm sure you didn't mean to say that but that's how it came off.
  • classictoaster
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that the attitudes like here I have encountered is EXACTLY why real people like me have always avoided gyms. I'm not going to pay to be bullied, harassed, or mistreated all because someone thinks their program is the best. It might turn out that it isn't for me or may be something I can't use.

Like I said I have only been working out at the gym for a month. I know I made the right decision joining Planet Fitness than another gym. Planet Fitness attitude rocks and if this is an example of the attitude you get at a "real" gym well the attitude is bullyish and sucks!

uh, not to drag this back up, but i agree with tameko2. i actually switched from 24 hour fitness for la fitness because of my new work location, and had a bad attitude going in thinking that la would suck, the people would suck, etc etc.

the truth is, i didn't have a f**king clue what i was talking about, and neither do you. no one is mean, rude, snide, or whatever you're implying at MY current gym or at my old gym, and i'm pretty sure that goes for most gyms, planet fitness included. no one's trying to bash you or your gym, we're just offering advice. fact - doing squats on a smith is BAD for YOU. it is BAD for your back. it is BAD. it's an unnatural motion, it strains your body in the wrong ways, and you won't get as strong/build as much muscle on it. we're just trying to warn you.

i understand you wanting to mold a program to what you have, but i don't think this is the program to be doing it with, considering the lack of proper equipment you face. personally, i'd reccommend trying another program better suited to you, that you'll make more gains with, based around the free weight equipment you have to choose from. otherwise, switch gyms (but considering your long sales pitch, i'll assume that's not what you want to do).