Alpha issues

Options
ladybg81
ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
My male boxer, Jake, has always been the epitome of what you would consider as an alpha of a pack (we have 4, 3 boxers and 1 beagle.) My other 2 dogs never challenged him; they just brushed him off and went on their way. Then we got Zoe. We've said all along how much like Jake she is; looks and personality. She's never backed down from him when he would bow up or start growing; she would just stand very still but never submit. Last night, I think she challenged him. He was standing over a box (just an empty box, I don't know, he's a dog) and she walked over. He took the stance and started that low growl. Then she took the stance and very slowly started lifting her head above his back. He's 5 and she is 6 months old. Then she snapped at him. I have never seen another dog challenge Jake or even do anything remotely close to what you would consider a challenge. Do we possibly have a problem brewing? My friend who knows Jake and his "ways" said that eventually he will put her in her place; that it will probably not be pretty, but they'll work it out. What do you guys think?

Replies

• jyow01
    jyow01 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Are you dogs neutered if not this could take care of the problem. If they are I would watch them closely to make sure you don't end up with a fight that would injure both of the dogs.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    My male is and my female just got done this past Friday. When she got home though, they started it again. I talked to the vet about it and he said that Zoe (my 6 month old female) will never win that. He said that right now, Jake thinks she is kidding but once he thinks she's serious, he will put her in his place and that will be the end. But I do worry about it getting out of hand.
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My husband is a professional dog trainer. I am asking him and will let you know.