Tantalizing Tastes Challenge!

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Apologies troops for my tardiness...had a doctor's appointment...rushing...you know the deal.

A Food Challenge with variability: Ok, if you are like me and do not have a green thumb and/or a yard big enough to plant a seed even...why not seek other ways to get fresh vegetables and fruits this summer! There are Farmer's Markets, roadside vendors, co-ops, Amish markets and of course organic produce at the grocery store. The one I like the most is the NEIGHBOR! In my neighborhood back home almost every house had a backyard with a garden and almost everyone shared in their harvest! It was nothing to get a knock on the door and a box full of unexpected goodies!!!! OH SOOO DELICIOUS!!!!!! Fresh tomatoes....makes me want to cry how the grocery store demeans the tantalizing tastiness of the tomato! So if your garden yields more than you can use share!
I truly believe 'real' vegetables and fruits have a better flavor and texture then manufactured! EX I hated beets growing up...once I tried roasted beets....I was sold!

Get out there ya'll and find your perfect veggie or fruit...you won't regret it!

Peace,
WW

Replies

• Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    Good challenge! I have the room to grow a garden but I tried it a couple years ago and didn't have much luck. Oh I had veggies but they were small and it was a lot of work lol. But I guess anything good is. I also don't know much about different ways to prepare fresh veggies since I buy canned or frozen a lot but I DID buy some "fresh" (as fresh as I could get) asparagus and grilled it on my George Foreman grill this weekend. It was awesome too!!! :smile:
  • goldk
    goldk Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Just planted a small garden - tomatoes (yellow and red) and various peppers. We'll see how it goes :bigsmile:

My neighbor has a large garden. I hope he shares his crop :laugh:
  • wiggywompus
    wiggywompus Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Good challenge I grow most of my own veggies and some fruit. Tucking into rhubarb from the garden this week. To meet this challenge I have decided to grow veg that I have n't tried to grow before so celariac and asparagus. Found a great recipe for celeriac gratin and would be so good to be able to use my own.
  • Kcaine82
    Kcaine82 Posts: 10
    Options
    My husband and I have a yard now to do a garden. This year we decided to have our garden out of 5 Gallon buckets. We have tomatoes, jalopenos, bellpepper, cucumber, zuccini, and okra. Right now I have about 8 tomatoes growning. I have picked 5 cucumbers, I have 4 bellpeppers coming in. I have picked one zuccini (But I have tons of flowers and they keep just falling off :sad: I have 3 okras coming in. I love fresh tomatoes and cucumbers. Looking forward to eating healthy this summer.
  • AstridParties
    AstridParties Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Nice challenge! I will be starting a garden with my kids this summer...not only is it a science lesson but it gets us up, active, sweating, and enhancing the environment. Not to mention, it'll help cut some of my grocery bill in the long haul!
  • quinnmama
    quinnmama Posts: 3
    Options
    We started a SMALL garden this year in our back yard...looking good so far -just waiting for the veggies we have to ripen up...
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Okay my address is 4569......LOL! I would love all the delicious veggies ya'll got going!