Food Stamps / EBT cards

Options
I don't know how many times I have been in the line at the grocery store and watch people purchasing t-bone steaks, filet mignon, and other high dollar items then pay with foods stamps or in Florida EBT cards. I work about 50 hours a week and can't afford to purchase those items. I believe that the assistance programs should not be paying for extravagant food items. A prime example is what I witnessed yesterday; I was standing in line and a young couple had a HUGE sheet cake (birthday party for a friend), 4 lbs of white rock shrimp (which sell for around $8.00/lb), chips, dips and other party items. All paid for with an EBT card (EBT = electronic benefit transaction). The total came to just over $100. I was furious. then we were behind them in the procession to the parking lot, they got into their brand new cadillac (maybe a year old or so) pickup and drove away.

who thinks assistance food programs should have restrictions on what is purchased? Who thinks it should be open to anything?

Replies

• katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which state you reside in, but the benefits are determined by state governments. Where I am originally from, they do have quite stringent restrictions on what food you can purchase with your card. All those items have "WIC Approved" tags. Those tags were on less than 1/4 of all food in the store. I went to high school with a girl who's family was on the program, and she often had to make separate purchases because things like alcohol, nice cuts of meat, and luxury items like name brand foods were not covered. They also have a limited amount available each month.

People on public assistance absolutely should not be dining on fanciness and driving Cadillacs. You should consider writing your local legislature to explain your complaints and request an evaluation of the types of food purchased by those on public assistance. As a voting tax-payer, you have a right to know!
  • debloves2ride
    debloves2ride Posts: 386
    Options
    We reside in Florida current, but have been in north carolina and alaska. our WIC program does have restrictions and that program is designed for families with children. It will purchase formula, milk, some cereals etc.. I think it is a great program. I think the whole "food stamp assistance" program in Florida needs to be reviewed and overhauled.
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It sure sounds like it! I was in SC where all those restrictions were. She had one of those green EBT cards, and she could only buy certain things. It was frustrating to have to buy store brand all the time, but I don't think she cared all that much. I mean, she had food, and that's what matters. If she wanted Filet Mignon, well then she had to pull out her own money for that!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's almost impossible to have a massive government program of that nature without some abuse. I would guess that 99% of the people receive food stamps aren't living an extravagant lifestyle with them.

Regulating what people can and can't buy is difficult, because there's no clear place to draw the line, and people usually find a way around the line anyway. And at what point does the price of this monitoring become greater that they abuse that might occur?

Given the choice between accepting the fact that there will be some abuse and not eliminating the program, I'd rather not have poor people starving.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    If they qualify for it, I don't care what they buy.

I make choices sometimes. Sacrifice some days to enjoy other days. I don't want to tell someone how they should eat.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Who knows why they qualify for it. Many people have nice houses, cars, but the reality is that they live check to check. One person becomes disabled or laid-off and suddenly you qualify based on income.
    I know someone on WIC and they can only purchase approved brands. Anything not on the list has to be with your own money.

It could very well have been a special occasion they were attending. If you are buying filets and shrimp then it is unlikely you will have enough money left over for food during the rest of the week.

Sometimes people are humiliated by having to accept assistance. Maybe they were sacrificing that week to 'save face'.
    There are a million different scenarios. If you want the decision to be up to you perhaps take a job with the state. I would at least have to look into the qualification requirements before I decided who was or was not worthy.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Who knows why they qualify for it. Many people have nice houses, cars, but the reality is that they live check to check. One person becomes disabled or laid-off and suddenly you qualify based on income.
    I know someone on WIC and they can only purchase approved brands. Anything not on the list has to be with your own money.

It could very well have been a special occasion they were attending. If you are buying filets and shrimp then it is unlikely you will have enough money left over for food during the rest of the week.

Sometimes people are humiliated by having to accept assistance. Maybe they were sacrificing that week to 'save face'.
    There are a million different scenarios. If you want the decision to be up to you perhaps take a job with the state. I would at least have to look into the qualification requirements before I decided who was or was not worthy.

This right here!

I remember when I was in HS - my dad spent a weeks worth of unemployment so we could have steaks, potatoes, paper towels, toilet paper, soap, etc....since my aunt and uncle were coming up for the ceremony.

I had to make arrangements for our water & light bill the following week and we were basically behind the eight ball after my graduation.

I'm sure there is a ton of abuse, but like other posters have said how would you regulate it?
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    If anything were to be regulated, I'd prefer it to be highly-processed foods with little nutritional value, rather than lean proteins such as steak and shrimp... :wink: As others here have said, though, my essential feeling is that is unwise to make assumptions about others' choices without knowing the whole story. Perhaps the car was purchased with the last paycheck before an unexpected redundancy, or a major illness kicked in and used up all their savings - you just don't know. These people were clearly celebrating something important to them to use so much of their available funds - I, for one, don't begrudge them that. Yes, there is abuse of the welfare system, but also, especially now, many who need financial help but perhaps don't look like it from the outside.
  • debloves2ride
    Options

This right here!

I remember when I was in HS - my dad spent a weeks worth of unemployment so we could have steaks, potatoes, paper towels, toilet paper, soap, etc....since my aunt and uncle were coming up for the ceremony.

I had to make arrangements for our water & light bill the following week and we were basically behind the eight ball after my graduation.

I'm sure there is a ton of abuse, but like other posters have said how would you regulate it?

this is true and another good point. It is just frustrating to see the same people (we live in a small town) buying this stuff all the time and then as their second purchase cigarettes, liquor etc. when a carton of cigarettes is over $50 a carton and they are purchasing 3 and 4 cartons, you have to wonder if that money couldn't be put to better use. another sad point is when we were newly married and my husband was in the service, based on his military pay we actually qualified for assistance. We didn't take it, he worked two other jobs as well as his service and I worked full time. times were hard but we managed and did it without public assistance. I guess it all comes down to your priorities in life and how you handle things. I just get tired of the attitude of expecting other people to take care of you.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    It's almost impossible to have a massive government program of that nature without some abuse. I would guess that 99% of the people receive food stamps aren't living an extravagant lifestyle with them.

This seems to be the common perception in this group. On the other had, I have an extreme different opinion.

I believe assistance is GROSSLY abused and would lean the opposite direction in saying that I think the 2% are the ones who don't abuse it. Then again, my view is that there are too many people capable of working, but honestly qualify because the CHOOSE not to work and let the government support them. Or they may choose to work the minimum requirement to still qualify. Then you have those who sell their leftover balance for drugs, electronics, alcohol, etc...

I would like to live in a world where you qualify regularly only if physically disabled, if you are capable of working, you must WORK for your food stamps in some way...If you maintain a legal job, you are waived from having to volunteer time for the assistance. I also think their should be a time limit. There is NO REASON any one should ever be on assistance for 4-8 years. I say a 14 month max.

:Edit to add last paragraph:
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    At least they were purchasing food instead of selling their food stamps for drugs. I've worked in addictions for years and believe me, it is so frustrating to watch people with addictions sell their food stamps on the first of the month and then hit up the food cupboards because now they have no way to get food. (Addiction is a powerful thing.)

But yea, I had a friend who was on food stamps years ago and she would spend money on shrimp and other high price items. I think that one poster has a good point though-at least it's not cheetos and sugary cereals!
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    I agree with FBMANDY - it would be wonderful if to receive assistance you had to perform/work at some type of job. so many hours = so much for benefits. I think it was Oregon (not sure) that had that system for awhile, I don't know if they still do. The people on assistance had to be drug tested and were assigned community service work to receive their assistance. they cleaned parks, swept streets, painted public buildings etc. I would love to see that in place everywhere. but then you should have to have a system set up to monitor and implement......
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

This seems to be the common perception in this group. On the other had, I have an extreme different opinion.

I believe assistance is GROSSLY abused and would lean the opposite direction in saying that I think the 2% are the ones who don't abuse it. Then again, my view is that there are too many people capable of working, but honestly qualify because the CHOOSE not to work and let the government support them. Or they may choose to work the minimum requirement to still qualify. Then you have those who sell their leftover balance for drugs, electronics, alcohol, etc...

I would like to live in a world where you qualify regularly only if physically disabled, if you are capable of working, you must WORK for your food stamps in some way...If you maintain a legal job, you are waived from having to volunteer time for the assistance. I also think their should be a time limit. There is NO REASON any one should ever be on assistance for 4-8 years. I say a 14 month max.

We were never on FS but at 1 time we were on WIC. At that time I also had a lot of designer clothes, drove a 2-3yo car we bought brand new, and regularly wore some very nice jewelry. I was also a stay at home mom to a 2/3yo and a 5/6yo. I got some snide looks occasionally when I'd pay with WIC coupons. Only 1 person ever really commented nastily to me about it though. She made some comment that she hoped I appreciated her hard earned tax dollars paying for my food so that I could afford jewelry and designer clothes. I turned, looked at her, and said "The jewelry I got when I was single with no kids working as assistant manager of a jewelry store and got a 50% off employee discount. The clothes were all purchased at Goodwill or garage sales. The ONLY reason I am using WIC is because my husband took a 75% pay cut when he was activated with the military reserves and sent to Iraq where he's been for the past 6 months and will remain for another 8 months. If you have an issue with military pay being such that a family has to suffer a 75% income loss and qualifies for WIC I suggest you take it up with your Congress person. In the meantime, we've paid MORE than our fair share into the system and I will not be made to feel guilty for using some of that while my husband is in Iraq fighting for your right to be rude and judgemental."

So, yea, I was an able bodied adult on government assistance and I didn't have a job and wasn't looking for one either. However, IMO our kids were going through enough stress having their dad gone for 14 months without having to throw them into daycare all day on top of it. Their little world was already in enough upheaval. If using WIC for 14 months was enough to help us get through that while maintaining as much stability for them as possible then it was absolutely completely worth it and given the situation again I'd do it again. That doesn't mean I was abusing the system in any way, shape, or form.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

We were never on FS but at 1 time we were on WIC. At that time I also had a lot of designer clothes, drove a 2-3yo car we bought brand new, and regularly wore some very nice jewelry. I was also a stay at home mom to a 2/3yo and a 5/6yo. I got some snide looks occasionally when I'd pay with WIC coupons. Only 1 person ever really commented nastily to me about it though. She made some comment that she hoped I appreciated her hard earned tax dollars paying for my food so that I could afford jewelry and designer clothes. I turned, looked at her, and said "The jewelry I got when I was single with no kids working as assistant manager of a jewelry store and got a 50% off employee discount. The clothes were all purchased at Goodwill or garage sales. The ONLY reason I am using WIC is because my husband took a 75% pay cut when he was activated with the military reserves and sent to Iraq where he's been for the past 6 months and will remain for another 8 months. If you have an issue with military pay being such that a family has to suffer a 75% income loss and qualifies for WIC I suggest you take it up with your Congress person. In the meantime, we've paid MORE than our fair share into the system and I will not be made to feel guilty for using some of that while my husband is in Iraq fighting for your right to be rude and judgemental."

So, yea, I was an able bodied adult on government assistance and I didn't have a job and wasn't looking for one either. However, IMO our kids were going through enough stress having their dad gone for 14 months without having to throw them into daycare all day on top of it. Their little world was already in enough upheaval. If using WIC for 14 months was enough to help us get through that while maintaining as much stability for them as possible then it was absolutely completely worth it and given the situation again I'd do it again. That doesn't mean I was abusing the system in any way, shape, or form.

Just want to say 'bravo' to you for standing up to the person who commented - too many people would not have responded. :flowerforyou: :drinker: No-one can know another person's circumstances unless they ask, and what the eye perceives may have little or nothing to do with the reality. Of course there are those who abuse the system, and that needs to be tackled, but there are many, many more who need that safety net and use it as intended.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    If they qualify for government assistance and they're using it for food, then I don't really care what kind of food they're buying. We all make sacrifices and we all have our own priorities. I wouldn't want to say that people on government assistance don't "deserve" nice cuts of meat or a sheet cake for a family celebration.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I think there is a good deal of abuse in public assistance systems. My point was that we tend to focus on the "horror stories" of abuse without recognizing that for most people, state assistance is the only thing between a child eating or starving to death.

I also tend to agree with you in regards to disability benefits. But again, it's easy to point out instances of unfairness in the system, it's a lot more difficult to perfect the system so that things like that never happen.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    times were hard but we managed and did it without public assistance. I guess it all comes down to your priorities in life and how you handle things. I just get tired of the attitude of expecting other people to take care of you.

This too. I had my son at the age of 20, was basically a single mom (his abusive father was absent on and off and never worked) and never used food stamps. I did live in an income based apartment for about 4 months but I have no guilt about it. I paid about $500 a month in rent and it was my only option besides being homeless..I was bringing home about $1300/month.

As bondbomb mentioned, some people may have nice cars but come across tought times. I feel they should learn to live within their means! I have a family friend who is filing for bankruptcy and was able to keep his $500k house. He writes checks out of his "stay-at-home" wive's accounts since he has no more checking accounts. He buys drinks and picks up tabs for entire groups of people when out, took his family on a vacation to St Marteen for Christmas. Why should he get bankruptcy protection on a $500k house and get to continue to lead this lifestyle?
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    times were hard but we managed and did it without public assistance. I guess it all comes down to your priorities in life and how you handle things. I just get tired of the attitude of expecting other people to take care of you.

This too. I had my son at the age of 20, was basically a single mom (his abusive father was absent on and off and never worked) and never used food stamps. I did live in an income based apartment for about 4 months but I have no guilt about it. I paid about $500 a month in rent and it was my only option besides being homeless..I was bringing home about $1300/month.

As bondbomb mentioned, some people may have nice cars but come across tought times. I feel they should learn to live within their means! I have a family friend who is filing for bankruptcy and was able to keep his $500k house. He writes checks out of his "stay-at-home" wive's accounts since he has no more checking accounts. He buys drinks and picks up tabs for entire groups of people when out, took his family on a vacation to St Marteen for Christmas. Why should he get bankruptcy protection on a $500k house and get to continue to lead this lifestyle?

don't even get me going on the bankruptcy stuff. sometimes makes you wonder why you work so hard!
  • fbmandy55
    Options

don't even get me going on the bankruptcy stuff. sometimes makes you wonder why you work so hard!
    I don't necessarily have an issue with bankruptcy. Sometimes people need a fresh start. My mom lost her homes, 8 rental properties and had to start over in a small house, budget stores for food, buy here-pay here car and is working herself back up... That's what people should do when they file. Start over.
  • fbmandy55
    Options

So you used WIC for it's intended purpose... plus, it's not like you were out continuing to live like you weren't on assitance. I respect that. I have a problem with those who use assistance so they can ALSO live a high life.