Survey: How many cals do you eat per day?

Options
pinkita
pinkita Posts: 779 Member
I'm in Week 3 of 5x5 and am feeling lost about calorie intake. Please share your stats with me:

1. Your height
2. How long you've been doing SL 5x5
3. Your daily calorie intake

Thanks!

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8. I used the Harris Benedict equation to calculate TDEE. I eat 20% below that, so 1868 right now. I've been doing SL for 9 weeks now.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3". Currently, I weigh 182.5. My goal weight is around 145 (higher than BMI and ht/wt charts say I should be, but if I'm muscular, I look good at that weight.

While I'm aiming for 1400 Cal/day before exercise (after much consultation with a nutritionist and doctor), for the last 10 days or so, I haven't been able to. I keep a spreadsheet and my weekly average for last week was 1738.

Yesterday was a lift day, and I ate 1621 (which was under what MFP said was goal when it added in exercise calories). Today, I've been ravenous and feel like I've been eating all day. I'm at 1613 for the day right now. I think I'm done, my dinner was large, but I may have a banana later if I'm hungry again.

I still lost weight, but I'm stalled on my lifts, so I think I may raise my target calories to 1600, which by the fat2fitradio calculation should be near maintenance for my goal weight.

Oh, I'm at 6 weeks on 5x5, taking a deload week starting with tomorrow's workout.
  • pinkita
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

I have a BodyMedia Fit and I did an average of my TDEE for 7 days, and got 2117, which I rounded down to 2100. One of the "eat more to weigh less" sub-groups is advocating eating AT TDEE (for 8 weeks!) to reset the metabolism. I'm on my second day of that but I'm not feeling confident enough to do the full 8 weeks, so maybe just the rest of this week. What I'm stuck on is, what will I set my calorie goal to after that?

I'm still early in the 5x5 program, and have been progressing (except for one workout where I had to repeat the 55# load--but I completed the sets yesterday so I guess I'm getting stronger? But my weight has been creeping up since the beginning of May, many of my clothes don't fit, and I feel fatter than I have in a long time. Maybe I'm just in a funk but I'm really scared of gaining to the point where it'll take me a really long time to take the weight off.

For a few days before I jumped into 2100 cals/day, I was eating around 1800 cals (TDEE minus 300), but was feeling just as physically uncomfortable as I am now on 2100 cals. So maybe I should go down to 1600-1650?

I hate all the guessing games!
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    5'6" - 138 lb. Which you didn't ask for but seemed significant.
    Week three, 1350 calories not counting any exercise calories that I will eat because I can.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    5'6", 165 ish (between 163.5 and 167.5)

I've been doing SL since the end of Feb. Took a 3 week break in may due to a long vacation + illness.

I eat meeehhh random calories. I shoot for 1750, but I generally end up around 1850 to 2100. My weight hasn't seen much change but my body looks better so hopefully I'm just getting some recomp going.

I do almost NO extra cardio - probably jog 2 miles a week on a good week. And I have a desk job.

*edit* PS - and since 165 for 5'6" sounds very heavy I will mention that I probably look about 150 (I'm a size 8 ). I just weigh a lot.
  • pinkita
    Options
    Week three, 1350 calories not counting any exercise calories that I will eat because I can.

Have you lost any inches/pounds since starting SL?
  • pinkita
    Options
    5'6", 165 ish (between 163.5 and 167.5)

I've been doing SL since the end of Feb. Took a 3 week break in may due to a long vacation + illness.

I eat meeehhh random calories. I shoot for 1750, but I generally end up around 1850 to 2100. My weight hasn't seen much change but my body looks better so hopefully I'm just getting some recomp going.

I do almost NO extra cardio - probably jog 2 miles a week on a good week.

I had stopped cardio for a while, but did two 30-40min light sessions over the long weekend. I might continue that twice a week. Though we're enjoying a rare May heat wave here in San Francisco and the weekend is supposed to get warner... so I might go for a 4-5mi bike ride.
  • kazzari
    Options

I believe I have, but is hard to say it is attributable to SL as I was just coming off a hardcore fat burning resistance program. But in the past three weeks, I have only lost about 1/4 inch off my waist and hips, a little more in my thighs, and I miraculously gained 1/2 inch in bust, but that is probably period related. As for lbs. lost, my weight has been fluctuating between 141-1/2 and 138 since I started MFP 60 days ago. I am meticulous about logging and it looks like 138 might be real this time. I do feel like this program is going to help me recomp, which is more important than losing lbs. 138 is actually the weight that I maintained for five years after getting fit initially, so that may be as good as it gets.
  • pinkita
    Options

I believe I have, but is hard to say it is attributable to SL as I was just coming off a hardcore fat burning resistance program. But in the past three weeks, I have only lost about 1/4 inch off my waist and hips, a little more in my thighs, and I miraculously gained 1/2 inch in bust, but that is probably period related. As for lbs. lost, my weight has been fluctuating between 141-1/2 and 138 since I started MFP 60 days ago. I am meticulous about logging and it looks like 138 might be real this time. I do feel like this program is going to help me recomp, which is more important than losing lbs. 138 is actually the weight that I maintained for five years after getting fit initially, so that may be as good as it gets.

Oooh, tell me more about the fat burning resistance program! Sounds like something I need!

Sometimes I wonder if I'm too fat to do heavy lifting? My body fat percentage (per fat2fitradio.com) is 40.9% :sad: I often wonder if heavy lifting is better for those who don't have much fat to lose and just want to recomp their physiques.
  • tameko2
    Options

Oooh, tell me more about the fat burning resistance program! Sounds like something I need!

Sometimes I wonder if I'm too fat to do heavy lifting? My body fat percentage (per fat2fitradio.com) is 40.9% :sad: I often wonder if heavy lifting is better for those who don't have much fat to lose and just want to recomp their physiques.

No one is too fat to do heavy lifting. And its not all about weight really - I mean as someone very overweight you need to do more extra cardio than someone already lean (or eat a bigger deficit) but I totally believe its better to start lifting BEFORE you get very thin as your strength potential is much much greater when you are heavier.

Also i have a friend on here who is 235 and looks 195 - seriously. Sure she'd like to ALSO weigh less (which is part of why she's switched to a more cardio focused plan and lifts as an assist) but she seriously looks awesome at that weight. I think there's a lot to be said for that - but like I said, she still does need to lose a lot of fat so she HAS switched to a more cardio focused program.

I think you could do something wiht SL where you drop it to 2x a week and progress less often in weight, and also make it higher rep, like 8 reps x 4 sets. (but the basic lifts are great) and then switch in a bit more cardio for the extra workout day you get.

I think fat burning resistance programs are mostly just lower weight higher rep so they have a stronger cardio aspect to them. YOu don't need to do that - you can do a regular resistance program and just ADD your own cardio.

But you know, in the end its up to you - the most important thing is to find a program you enjoy following and will stick to.
  • kazzari
    Options

The program I was doing was Fatloss III from the first New Rules of Lifting book. It involved circuits of 4 exercises done back to back with no rest, one minute rest between rounds for a total of four rounds, using weights that are challenging for 8-10 reps. Workout A, for instance, was deadlifts, pushups, Bulgarian split squats and 2 pt. Dumbbell rows. You are still using challenging weights, but no rest between exercises. After four rounds are completed, you do four more exercises in the same manner, except lighter weights, 20 reps, and two rounds. Workout B started with squats, so you're still doing the same moves to what we're doing in this program, but with moderately heavy, rather than maximally heavy weights.
  • kazzari
    Options

I think fat burning resistance programs are mostly just lower weight higher rep so they have a stronger cardio aspect to them. YOu don't need to do that - you can do a regular resistance program and just ADD your own cardio.

But you know, in the end its up to you - the most important thing is to find a program you enjoy following and will stick to.

Some may fit this description, but not the NROL workouts. 8-10 reps is not maximally heavy, but definitely challenging. Imagine doing the workout we are doing now, adding a few reps, so lowering the weight but NOT light weights, and doing the exercises as a circuit. Imagine starting with deadlifts, lifting your body weight for ten reps, moving straight to bench press and directly to squats, and repeating 4 times. It is tough...and effective. I attempted the same workout 3 times before I managed to get through the entire thing.
  • tameko2
    Options

Some may fit this description, but not the NROL workouts. 8-10 reps is not maximally heavy, but definitely challenging. Imagine doing the workout we are doing now, adding a few reps, so lowering the weight but NOT light weights, and doing the exercises as a circuit. Imagine starting with deadlifts, lifting your body weight for ten reps, moving straight to bench press and directly to squats, and repeating 4 times. It is tough...and effective. I attempted the same workout 3 times before I managed to get through the entire thing.

Oh, NROL. I haven't read the FW one but its just a bit more circuit-y from what I can see. Circuit-y = more cardio-y. Not the lifting parts, the lifting is still meant to be close to failure, but it mixes thing that you can do to get your heart rate up with things that you lift. So like the first bit of NROL in the book I do have (not for women) has crunches which turned me personally off to it
    as I loathe crunches, but not everyone does.

I think NROL is a good program and FRANKLY I think for pure looks its a better one if you like it and will stick with it - it focuses much more on targetting small muscle groups and it does more assistance lifts, which have the side benefit of targetting certain muscles more than others (like a front squat targets your quads harder than a back squat, thus you'll get slightly better results specifically on your quads).

SL 5x5 (and starting strength which is the program its more or less based on) is more about strength gains. For me personally I find it more motivating to make strength gains since I don't see big changes in my inches lost or weight anymore - it gives me something to focus on. (also the alternating sets of exercises are hell to do in my gym where the weight room is always quite busy) But that doesn't make it a better program, just different strokes for different folks. I would probably recommend people try NROL first, or at least look at it. Especially if they are at a less equipped gym or have a home gym where they can move between equipment easily without someone snagging their spot. I actually did try it on my husband first but for whatever reason, it didn't' take with him. (I didn't do it because like I said, crunches - and pushups, gag - , but I did have 4-5 months of personal training before I started SL which was more circuit training and I did the crunches then because a trainer made me. I felt like I stopped making as much progress around then and switched over).
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

My scale says I'm at 43% and hasn't changed, although the measurements for military body fat % has come down slightly.

No such thing as too fat.

Also, it was week 5 that the scale started moving a bit for me.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    5'4, since march, & I'm supposed to be at 1900 cals. I've been playing around with IF principles and don't quite have the hang of it so I've been pulling in about 1500.

I've been wondering the same thing you have but I enjoy lifting too much to stop. I have been trying to get more cardio in and I've been playing around with the idea of turn sl into a circuit routine without dropping the weight too low. I guess I just need to decide what I want to do. I just know that not lifting is not an option for me.

Eta: 40% here too
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" tall, weigh 185lb aiming for about 155lb
    I target my cals at 1400 for non-training days and eat more on workout/lifting days, probably maxing at 1800cals a day. That being said I am not 100% sure I am eating the right amount, but I am going to stick with it and see if I keep losing.

ETA - I don't technically do Stronglifts, but I am currently doing a very similar protocol with my strength coach. I've been strength training in different veins for about 4 years I think.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    1. Your height:
    5'9"
    148-146lbs

2. How long you've been doing SL 5x5
    A month and a half

3. Your daily calorie intake
    1700-1800 rest days
    2000-2100 lifting days

**My MFP is set to maintenance**
  • kazzari
    Options

Oh, NROL. I haven't read the FW one but its just a bit more circuit-y from what I can see. Circuit-y = more cardio-y. Not the lifting parts, the lifting is still meant to be close to failure, but it mixes thing that you can do to get your heart rate up with things that you lift. So like the first bit of NROL in the book I do have (not for women) has crunches which turned me personally off to it

I think NROL is a good program and FRANKLY I think for pure looks its a better one if you like it and will stick with it - it focuses much more on targetting small muscle groups and it does more assistance lifts, which have the side benefit of targetting certain muscles more than others (like a front squat targets your quads harder than a back squat, thus you'll get slightly better results specifically on your quads).

SL 5x5 (and starting strength which is the program its more or less based on) is more about strength gains. For me personally I find it more motivating to make strength gains since I don't see big changes in my inches lost or weight anymore - it gives me something to focus on. (also the alternating sets of exercises are hell to do in my gym where the weight room is always quite busy) But that doesn't make it a better program, just different strokes for different folks. I would probably recommend people try NROL first, or at least look at it. Especially if they are at a less equipped gym or have a home gym where they can move between equipment easily without someone snagging their spot. I actually did try it on my husband first but for whatever reason, it didn't' take with him. (I didn't do it because like I said, crunches - and pushups, gag - , but I did have 4-5 months of personal training before I started SL which was more circuit training and I did the crunches then because a trainer made me. I felt like I stopped making as much progress around then and switched over).

I was referring to the first book, not FW. So, if you are familiar with the first one, have you done any of the Fatloss programs? I started my fitness journey with that book, completed most of the programs, and my body was transformed! I've really just been maintaining ever since. But I owe my "better than when I was a teenager body" to NROL.
  • tameko2
    Options

I was referring to the first book, not FW. So, if you are familiar with the first one, have you done any of the Fatloss programs? I started my fitness journey with that book, completed most of the programs, and my body was transformed! I've really just been maintaining ever since. But I owe my "better than when I was a teenager body" to NROL.

No I never did a whole program, I did go read through it before SL as it was something people recommended, it just isn't something I could motivate myself to do. I like the zen of the big lifts, perform the motion, rest, repeat. But that's me, and I'm actually a fairly abnormal exerciser I think. I can barely make it through stage 1 of 30 day shred. I get bored (Even though its only 20 minutes) and I don't like feeling sweaty and exhausted.
  • pinkita
    Options
    I'll have to check out the NROL book too. I have the 4W one, but got really confused with the workout schedule, and when I asked for clarification on the forum and a couple other online sources, I got 3 different answers :grumble: Found out about SL and liked the simplicity. I love Schuler's writing style though, and his 4W book was the one thing that gave me a wake up call about the possibility I might not have been eating enough. i.e., I haven't had my period since January(!), my hair is falling out, weak/brittle nails, I've had a cold about 5x this year, etc. etc. Had my thyroid and hormones checked and everything's normal.

I think I'm getting easily swept up in the hype of the "eating more to lose weight" ideas, and eating at maintenance to "reset" the metabolism, etc. It's a very slippery slope for me. I was doing so well on lower cals until a few months ago, so I started eating more (and I started SL 5x5 May 13th), but my hips, breasts, and waist measurements have gone up (as has my weight), and a lot of my clothes are too tight. Schuler says to expect shoulders to get bigger, but I'm expanding all over, it's depressing, and I'm scared that this will lead to emotional overeating.

So I think I'll just eat at TDEE this week only (about 2100 cals) and next week drop to 1800. There's so much conflicting info here though. The "metabolism reset/repair" crowd is advocating eating at TDEE for 8 weeks but that's so scary to me. Maybe I have to hire a personal trainer? I've always said that would be my last resort and if I haven't gotten to that point yet, I think I'll be there soon!