Taken too soon

Options
missrat
missrat Posts: 37 Member
Three weeks ago I had to say goodbye to one of my old rats - approaching 3. It is sad that their average lifefespan is two to three - usually nearer two. However, on Monday I found one of my beautifulo ivory boys, only a year old, dead in his house - possibly for two days. I feel very guilty and it has contributed to an acute exacerbation of my depression.

He - like Dika - leaves his paw-prints on my heart.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e80/AnnSC/Hamsters and ratties/Rattiepaw-prints_360x480.jpg

Replies

• frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. It is tough when they leave at any age, but especially when they are still young. *Hugs* to you.
  • StephD1185
    StephD1185 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss :(
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    ((hugs))

My rabbit was killed a few weeks ago :(

((hugs))
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    aww ((hugs)) I know how hard that is. Our ferret Hobbes had to be put down a couple months ago, and I took it really hard, like harder than most of the pets I've lost in the past. We just expected to have him so much longer. :(
  • missrat
    Options
    I'm so sorry for those of you who have also recently lost beloved pets. Thwir paw-prints remain on our hearts.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    That really sucks!! ::hugs::
  • starbucksbuzz
    Options
    Yea, I've briefly considered getting a little ferret paw tattoo behind my ear, half for commemoration, half because I like it.
  • Debrann310
    Debrann310 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also just lost my walking buddy, my 8 year old german shepherd, unexpectantly last Wednesday. It hit me very hard and he is
    leaving a big hole in my heart. It been a really rough few weeks leading up to last week. I understand exactly how your feeling.
  • starbucksbuzz
    Options
    aww I'm so sorry :( *hugs* do you think you'll get another dog soon?
  • Debrann310
    Debrann310 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It seems so soon but my husband and I are being driven slowly insane its so quiet.
  • starbucksbuzz
    Options
    I know what you mean. I think it's the worst when you lose an only pet - this was the first time that had happened to me. Whenever I lost a pet living with my parents while the other animals didn't replace the lost pet at least they were still there... and comforting somewhat.

This time we came home to a silent apartment, empty cage, toys that weren't going to be played with... I was a mess for a few days... over a ferret... when I've lost dogs, cats, etc. before, and i was like what is with me?!! We haven't gotten another one yet just because I'm not sure we could deal with having that happen again, God forbid. We talk about it occasionally though.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    i have lost 2 pets in my life to old age. it wasn't easy either time. the first one, i wasn't there. it was my parent's dog and i don't think i cried. the 2nd one was my DH's cat, Kitty. i have never been a cat fan, but i loved her. it was so hard watching my DH have to make the decision to end her misery. so, now i have a 6 yr old boxer mix boy, Kirby, my baby. and Ziggy, our 3 yr old beagle mix girl. i know that i am going to be a basket case when both are gone, especially Kirby. i hope that for all of you that have lost your furkids, no matter the "kind", that time heals the hurt and it gets easier to remember the good things.
  • paulipet
    paulipet Posts: 70
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. It really really hurts when we lose a fur kid (and only other animal lovers truly understand).
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss (((hugs))). I can't imagine how you must feel. I sometimes watch my two Poodle babies and think about what my life would be like when they are gone. It makes me cry because I know it will break me for sure. Thats why we have to cherush the time we do have with our furkids....they are so precious. I pray time helps to heal your pain.
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    I am deeply sorry for all of you that have lost your precious babies...It is so hard to love so much & lose them. It isn't easy if it is sudden or if you have time to say goodbye, you never are ready no matter what. The year I graduated from vet school...I graduated on a Saturday & that Tuesday, my beloved Dalmatian, Sugar, went down in the back & couldn't stand at all. She had back issues that I had been treating, but at 11 yrs old, I didn't want her last days on this Earth to be recovering from back surgery. It is a long road & I just couldn't put her through it. So we made the hardest decision & we were so fortunate that my best friend is also a vet. She was so compassionate & Sugar's death was so peaceful. Then that Thursday, my Australian Shepherd, Sydney, who I had since he was 10 days old, choked on a rawhide & I was the only one home. I knew what to do & I tried so hard to save him, but I just couldn't. I felt like I failed him because I didn't protect him. When I knew he was passing, I took him in my arms & sang to him until he was gone. I didn't want him to die scared. That was 2 years ago & I still bawl like a baby when I even think about it. I was the first thing he ever saw in his life & the last thing he ever saw in his life. I miss them both more than anyone could ever know, but time does heal the rawness & allows the good memories to break through. When we moved from our house, we rented it to some friends of my husband. The last time we went back to visit, she showed us a picture that she had taken of the backyard & she had sent it off to a paranormal website, b/c the negative of the picture...clear as day...has a dog peering around a tree with a big smile on his face...I burst into tears when I saw that picture...it was Sydney!!! I am not kidding...it was Syd. Then, about 6 months later, while I was working emergency, someone brought in a Australian Cattle Dog puppy that they found on the side of the road...my new puppy...Finn has SO many characteristics of Sydney, it is crazy...I sincerely believe they return to you. I am still looking for Sugar...I know one day I will find her too....
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    Yea, I've briefly considered getting a little ferret paw tattoo behind my ear, half for commemoration, half because I like it.

I think that is so cool. I have a tattoo on my back of the vet school symbol where I went & paw prints of all of my babies (5). I love it...
  • missrat
    Options
    I'm so sorry that such a lot of you are going through this. I had to say goodbye to Winter a few weeks ago. It became clear that she has a particularly unpleasnat type of tumour, and I felt it better to let her go before she knew any distress.

On Sunday I collected two lovely new boys for showing - Twix (a silvered black) and Milky Way (an ivory). They are now settled in with Yorkie, Club and Mars-Bar.