Recovery & Growth- whoever you are!

Options
sarahkatara
sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
A SAFE place for us to share our struggles, whatever they may be, and receive only positivity and support. For those in our group who are moving towards recovery from an eating disorder or anything else, please feel safe to talk about your issues here but refrain from sharing numbers, descriptions of how you engage in your symptoms, ways you've used to lose weight, etc. To keep this a healthy place, I will be moderating the boards carefully, just to make sure we ALL get the support we need!

Replies

• Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this with Sarah earlier. Acceptance was a hard thing for me. My brother committed suicide when I was 17 and he was 25. I'm almost the age he was when he did it. I've had my own demons dealing with that realization. I was also raped the very same day my brother died. I absolutely refuse to be a victim to the BOY who raped me. I survived. I think that identifying myself as a survivor rather than a victim has brought me a sense of closure and confidence in being a decent person without it negatively defining me.
  • chickenrider
    Options
    I was just talking about this with Sarah earlier. Acceptance was a hard thing for me. My brother committed suicide when I was 17 and he was 25. I'm almost the age he was when he did it. I've had my own demons dealing with that realization. I was also raped the very same day my brother died. I absolutely refuse to be a victim to the BOY who raped me. I survived. I think that identifying myself as a survivor rather than a victim has brought me a sense of closure and confidence in being a decent person without it negatively defining me.

When I read this I just had to respond. I listen to a man named Joel Osteen in the morning and he has a quote 'When negative thoughts come to discourage you, remind yourself that you are a child of the Most High God. You are a victor, not a victim!'

You remember that, I love everyone in this group. There is no room for the negative thoughts to breed if you push them out with positive thoughts :)
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options

Ashley, thanks for always being so open. You are one of the most inspiring and strong people I know. I couldn't imagine losing my sibling. My brother is one of my best friends, despite our 5 year age difference. As far as the assault, you know I've been there too and you constantly give me hope and remind me that I am a survivor and never a victim. WE are in control and it feels so good.