Success stories! What worked for you?

Options
sarahkatara
sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
A place to share our successes, NSVs, and tips and tricks about healthy living. Keep in mind we are ALL very different so what worked for one may not work for another! :bigsmile:

Replies

• vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    I can't wait to start reading people's NSV's! They always cheer me up!

One thing that has worked wonders for me is actually sitting down and writing my goals as they relate to this journey. This is what I came up with: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/614285-my-new-health-manifesto-re-evaluating-my-goals

Since I wrote this I have found it easier to stick to my plans. I also have something to read when things don't go so well, and it motivates me all over again. I am being easier on myself, trying to see the big picture. I am happier overall.

I hope you guys will read it and let me know what you think!
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll write my NSV… I wrote it in my blog last night.

A few months ago I had a very hard struggle lifting a 45lb bar. Yesterday, I managed to lift that very bar with 20lbs added onto it with no struggle at all. I'm quite proud! and quite sore...
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options

A few months ago I had a very hard struggle lifting a 45lb bar. Yesterday, I managed to lift that very bar with 20lbs added onto it with no struggle at all. I'm quite proud! and quite sore...

That's an incredible achievement! Congratulations!
  • piari
    piari Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My biggest NSV was a couple of weeks ago. At the place my parents work, there is an enormous, steep hill which I had never been able to climb without needing to sit down and catch my breath. I've even seen people I regard as being athletic have problems with this hill.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I found I had to go up it again. I walked straight up that damn hill without stopping!!!! I felt like I was going to keel over and die at the end, but I did it, and I feel incredibly proud about it. :bigsmile:

And I must say, the worst time I ever had with that hill was back when I was eating 800 cals a day and exercising a lot of them off. I had to sit down so many times, and my mother pushed me for the last 100 yards. (I can't remember if I was on MFP yet at that point... Probably not.) Now that I am eating twice that amount, I can do it!
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Today I had a monthly check up at the ED hospital. My first since being discharged. My therapist was so happy with my progress. I told her all the foods I've tried from my fear food list (about 30), how I've maintained a BMI above 20 for over 3 months, how my social eating has progressed to pretty much normal person levels, how I'm eating over 2000 calories a day on average and never dipping below 1800...
    I told her how much I still have to deal with like fear of weight gain, stopping calorie counting, compulsive exercise, and she said that I am doing perfectly, and if I just continue doing what I'm doing, I will naturally start to overcome those more difficult obstacles as I get comfortable with this new healthy lifestyle and start to relax about food.

I am so incredibly amazed at my progress. Four months ago I was close to dead, depressed, suicidal, in ketosis, spending way to much time in the ER with a failing heart beating at 30 BPM. I hadn't practiced violin in months. Now - I've just completed my end of year recital exam, I'm running a 10k and a 1/2 marathon soon and my expected times are exceptional, I'm eating more than my 5'11 boyfriend, and I am ALIVE. I never thought I could get this life back, but the biggest steps I've made in recovery have been my own making, since I felt therapy.

NSV or what?
    :)
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Today I had a monthly check up at the ED hospital. My first since being discharged. My therapist was so happy with my progress. I told her all the foods I've tried from my fear food list (about 30), how I've maintained a BMI above 20 for over 3 months, how my social eating has progressed to pretty much normal person levels, how I'm eating over 2000 calories a day on average and never dipping below 1800...
    I told her how much I still have to deal with like fear of weight gain, stopping calorie counting, compulsive exercise, and she said that I am doing perfectly, and if I just continue doing what I'm doing, I will naturally start to overcome those more difficult obstacles as I get comfortable with this new healthy lifestyle and start to relax about food.

I am so incredibly amazed at my progress. Four months ago I was close to dead, depressed, suicidal, in ketosis, spending way to much time in the ER with a failing heart beating at 30 BPM. I hadn't practiced violin in months. Now - I've just completed my end of year recital exam, I'm running a 10k and a 1/2 marathon soon and my expected times are exceptional, I'm eating more than my 5'11 boyfriend, and I am ALIVE. I never thought I could get this life back, but the biggest steps I've made in recovery have been my own making, since I felt therapy.

NSV or what?

I know I dont know you, but I am so proud of you! Wow, this is absolutely awesome. Having a sister who has had (and never totally beaten) an ED, I know how difficult it is to get over it. Well done, you are a winner!
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    I can't wait to start reading people's NSV's! They always cheer me up!

One thing that has worked wonders for me is actually sitting down and writing my goals as they relate to this journey. This is what I came up with: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/614285-my-new-health-manifesto-re-evaluating-my-goals

Since I wrote this I have found it easier to stick to my plans. I also have something to read when things don't go so well, and it motivates me all over again. I am being easier on myself, trying to see the big picture. I am happier overall.

I hope you guys will read it and let me know what you think!

I love this! I find that when I write down my goals and hang them up in an area where I will see them regularly, it reminds me consistently of what I'm working on and why and helps me make better decision. For example, I had a one month workout challenge. I printed out the challenge calendar and hung it on my fridge. I crossed each day off as I went and I don't like to NOT cross it off so I make sure to do what I need to! Great suggestion!!
  • sarahkatara
    Options

NSV or what?

As someone who has known you at your worst and your best, I couldn't be prouder or happier for you. You have truly come back from the "edge" and back into the crazy, wonderful, sometimes scary, but always worth it- experience of living. You constantly amaze me with your strength and determination. BE PROUD OF YOURSELF!!!!
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    My biggest NSV was a couple of weeks ago. At the place my parents work, there is an enormous, steep hill which I had never been able to climb without needing to sit down and catch my breath. I've even seen people I regard as being athletic have problems with this hill.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I found I had to go up it again. I walked straight up that damn hill without stopping!!!! I felt like I was going to keel over and die at the end, but I did it, and I feel incredibly proud about it. :bigsmile:

And I must say, the worst time I ever had with that hill was back when I was eating 800 cals a day and exercising a lot of them off. I had to sit down so many times, and my mother pushed me for the last 100 yards. (I can't remember if I was on MFP yet at that point... Probably not.) Now that I am eating twice that amount, I can do it!

This is so cool Pia! I know I tend to underestimate hills. I'm like, oh this will be no problem! But it IS very hard! This is a great NSV. You're healthy and strong!
  • sarahkatara
    Options

FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!!!!
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    My NSV isn't anything huge. But my Penguin can't stop telling me how good I look, that he's proud of my hard work, I look beautiful/hot, and even that I'm carrying myself differently. When he says he's proud of me, I feel so fulfilled. I know these comments are genuine because he'll come out with it OFTEN and at really random times. It's nice :)