Training time and sets

Options
My weights workout has somehow become 1.5-2hrs long - as the weights increased I've needed longer between sets and also I'm lifting slower. I'm working out 3 times a week. I think ideally I only need an hour - both in terms of time I have for it and the ideal time needed for muscle growth.

So I have cut one of the sets for each of the three exercises I do in a workout, now 2x8 rather than 3x8 per exercise. Hopefully this should help with being able to add more weight, but I am just concerned that I am doing the right thing

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    How many excercises are you doing in each session?

As a comparison, I get through the stronglifts program (three exercises of 5X5) plus an additional exercise (triceps or calves), a 5 minute warmup and stretching, in about an hour (slightly quicker on deadlift days, and slightly longer on the other days).
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    2x8 is not enough unless your doing 5 different exercises .
    example work out chest and tris
    bench press 3x8
    incline dumbbell 3x8
    flat dumbbell 3x8
    incline fly's 2x10 light weight to stretch out chest
    tricep push down 2x10
    skull crushers 2x10
    tri kick back 2x10
    60 -90 second rest between sets ,40min work out not including warm up or stretch.
    if it helps and you want more work out send message and i'll try and help
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    2x8 is not enough unless your doing 5 different exercises .
    example work out chest and tris
    bench press 3x8
    incline dumbbell 3x8
    flat dumbbell 3x8
    incline fly's 2x10 light weight to stretch out chest
    tricep push down 2x10
    skull crushers 2x10
    tri kick back 2x10
    60 -90 second rest between sets ,40min work out not including warm up or stretch.
    if it helps and you want more work out send message and i'll try and help

alot depends on what your goals are. this is a decent workout but has too much isolation stuff for me.
  • stphnstevey
    Options
    I'm alternating between these groups of exercises, three times a week

A) Weighted press up, Weighted Chin ups with leg raise, Bent over row with arm raise
    B) Deadlift with overhead press, Weighted chair dips, Dumbell press

Was doing 3x8 for each exercise, but now just 2x8 each exercise.

I'm hitting the hour mark I wanted now and also able to increase the weight alot faster, which I think is more important than doing loads of reps. From what studies I have read, its seems more than two-three sets of average reps had no more benefit for muscle hypertrophy
  • aaronf289
    aaronf289 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started timing my rest between sets....helped me cut down on my time while still getting all my work in. The shorter the rest period, the more cardio your doing at the same time. Only down side is that you will lose some strength initially until your body adjusts. I use Jefit on my andriod phone....logs everything and has a timer. Great app, and its free