Its June, who's still with me!?

Options
tameko2
tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
Happy June 1st! Where we at folks?

I struggled and pushed hard on the bench press yesterday and made it through the full 5x5 at 77.5. I am really thankful for my fractional weights, last time I went to 80 I just failed all over the place because it was too big of a jump. I even kind of regret not buying the smaller fractionals as well (like getting the whole set) just because I'm not sure I won't still fail at 80, but we'll see.

I would love to bypass 85 this month.

Hopefully I'll be hitting the 165 deadlift this month and working my way back to that 145 squat (Although frankly the idea makes me want to cry, I do not like squatting at all, I just like the results).

And -- AS OF YESTERDAY I FINALLY FEEL LIKE I'M DOING THE PENDLAY ROWS CORRECTLY (and my husband finally agrees with that)

Replies

• dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Me ME! I am with you!! :laugh:

Ran today, lifting tomorrow!

I need to review form for pendlays, cuz i am pretty sure I am doing more of an upright row than a pendlay, but I have low back issues, so i may just have to compromise.....
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!! I'm new to this, as i've stated in a previous post but I'm hoping to steadily build throughout June with now failing. I'm also going to be doing cardio at least 4 days a week. I've taken measurements and pictures before my start.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Pendlay Rows have now been demoted to most hated exercise. :laugh:

And as much as I used to hate squats, I don't anymore. I don't increase weight each time with these, still. I want to be extra careful my form doesn't slip. So I take video each set. I've been at 70 lbs twice now, but I really think I should try 70 one more time to make sure form is better, before increasing.

I do feel like I'm close to my max on everything else.
    70 lbs bench (again...I can't seem to pass 75)
    75 lbs rows (I failed majorly at 85...had to deload)
    60 lbs OHP (65 was comical...deloaded)
    120 lbs DL...I hurt my back at 145. Not painfully, but not pleasant. So I deloaded, and I'm now increasing only 5 lbs each time, instead of 10.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I'm getting back to it tomorrrow...
  • tameko2
    Options
    Pendlay Rows have now been demoted to most hated exercise. :laugh:

And as much as I used to hate squats, I don't anymore. I don't increase weight each time with these, still. I want to be extra careful my form doesn't slip. So I take video each set. I've been at 70 lbs twice now, but I really think I should try 70 one more time to make sure form is better, before increasing.

I do feel like I'm close to my max on everything else.
    70 lbs bench (again...I can't seem to pass 75)
    75 lbs rows (I failed majorly at 85...had to deload)
    60 lbs OHP (65 was comical...deloaded)
    120 lbs DL...I hurt my back at 145. Not painfully, but not pleasant. So I deloaded, and I'm now increasing only 5 lbs each time, instead of 10.

if you can afford it, grab these:
    http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/equipment/fractional-plates/olympic-2-in-fractional-plates.html

If you're a cheapskate like me, even just these is a big help:
    http://www.amazon.com/Chromed-Machined-Olympic-Plates-Pair/dp/B003BRRMKA/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1

(But now I sort of regret not having at least one set of 3/4 lb ones too especially for stuff like OHP, but hey, I'll live).

Really really really awesome for pushing the weight up sloooowwly.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hey! Just started this week and I think I'm going to like it. After NRLW and Lean Hybrid Muscle Reloaded, I'm ready for some "back to basics".

I thought deloading all the way to bar would be way easy, but I really concentrated on form and range of motion, so guess what? Yep, I finished out both sessions completely cooked. I'm looking forward to improving my form even more, and learning the Pendlay Row next session (yeah, I did it wrong the first time. Go, me, for being observant!)

Question about fractionals (when I get to that point)...could I just strap a set of ankle weights or wrist weights on the end of the bar? I have 1 pounders and 1.5's. Weight is weight, right?
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Wow, June got here quick!

I'm still dealing with my lower back pain so I've been modifying the program a bit. Squats are what irritate it so I'm taking a break from barbell squats and trying goblets and box squats to perfect my form.

I've also been adding some accessory lifts on days when I have the time. Mostly Lat Pull downs, Tricep push down's and back hyper-extensions.

I'm currently lifting at these numbers.

Squats - Was at 105 when I hurt myself. Taking a break from this lift to heal up.

OHP - Still at a measly 55lbs

Pendlay Row - I think I'm the only person who enjoys this lift. I'm still at 85lbs on it though. I can almost do all 5x5, the last set is still very difficult and I can't get full ROM so I call that a "fail".

Bench - I was just able to do all 5x5 at 70lbs this morning. I'm a little scared of 75lbs to be honest though.

Deadlift - Progressed up to 145lbs last week, I was able to do all 5 but it was very difficult so I'm going to stay at 145 a little longer.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    todays results:

squat 135
    bench press 85: failed 4th and 5th sets after 4 reps
    row 85
  • britcurl
    britcurl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am new to the forum and to Stronglifts 5x5. Been doing NROLFW and have decided to push that to the side for now and do this for 12 weeks. I will start tonight and let everyone know what my stats are.
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am still here. Starting back today after a 2 week break. Last session was #9 on May 18. I didn't know it had been that long until I checked my app this morning. Dang time flies. I see a de-load in my future.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Just purchased these...I will update everyone with how it goes. I'm excited to show improvements again, but I just can't increase 5 lbs each time, anymore.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Just purchased these...I will update everyone with how it goes. I'm excited to show improvements again, but I just can't increase 5 lbs each time, anymore.

cool - I think even going up a half pound is totally worth it, its gradual but you do get to make some kind of progress. My friend was telling me the only way he was able to get his bench press up was with incrementals, he just couldn't break past a certain point without them.
  • schmetterling1
    schmetterling1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just started in May. I have been doing this at home with just weights. When I do squats that bar stays there until my sets are done.
    Also have changed it to 8 reps last session because I don't feel comfortable increasing weight. Missed today, hurt my back doing some heavy yard work.

Squats 50lbs
    press 45lbs
    ohp 30lbs
    dl 50lbs
    row 45lbs
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Still here :)

Doing some heavily modified program so I don't tend to post often. I exchanged the back squat for the goblet and I only do about ten of them total- no 25, it's too taxing on my CNS post-brain injury. DLs are Romanian and I love them! Only increasing slowly on those as my hams were atrophied from being in the wheelchair for so long. I'm pleased as pink lemonade to be able to even DO them let alone increase. I'm going nice and slow increase on those- keeping at one weight for over three weeks has helped out a lot. No pressure- just enjoying the movement.

I love love love rows- love em! I'm up to 45lbs doing 3x8 (5x5 takes too dang long). Chest press I'm up to 55lbs 5x5, Overhead I'm up to around 45lbs.

I don't do every exercise every week and I add in kettlebells for rehab purposes. So really only one or two days MAX for SL5x5s.

Still- going from air movements to 55lb chest press? I'll take that :D
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the group, but not to lifting heavy, I'm about a month in. I never thought I'd enjoy lifting so much. The only draw back is the callouses. I wish I would have taken measurements when I started..oh well...I can see my progress, besides at 54 I'm not taking pictures of this body.....I'm just hoping eventually I'll learn to like what I see in the mirror.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Gemi - woohoo, 55lb from what you were doing before it AWESOME!

Mary - you can somewhat manage the callouses by being very careful how and where you grip the bar - mine are actually hardly visible although it could be because of my skintone somewhat. When you first go to grip the bar, think about where the bar will get pulled/slide as you go through the movement. If the bar is going to slide down towrad your palm, make sure you set up so that you grip it there. If its going to slide toward you fingers then grip it in your fingers to start with (This one is more common, we usually do a palm grip because normally you would, and then when you pull on the bar like for a deadlift it slides towards the base of your fingers, that extra friction makes them way worse).
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm still here, but taking the week off due to vacation. I'll start up again next week. I'm having to increase weight by 10 lbs, since my gym doesn't have 2.5 weights. I'm toying with the idea of buying my own and taking them to the gym. Has anyone else had to do this?

I'm with you, hazymary. I'm 53 and taking would rather not takes pics. I'll just go with measuring. *lol*
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    A note on calluses:
    I used to have them, then I bought these:

http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-Womens-Meshback-Lifting-Gloves/dp/B001E6FLXU/ref=lh_ni_t

...now I don't...:wink: AND, my grip feels more secure.

Today was my first June session.

95 on squats, first time ever at that weight and didn't feel like failing.
    55 on bench, almost failed on very last rep
    75 on pendlays, still not 100% sure I'm doing these right. My form feels slightly different each time.:huh:
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Not good last night, I did something to my calf muscle last week and I thought it was completely fine. Then last night doing squats it really flared up again so I had to stop. I could tell I would just injure myself if I kept going so I got in 2 sets of squats at 140lb before I stopped. Bench was ok, but not perfect 5x5@93lb :)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I'm still here.