Things men wish women knew...

Options
Carl01
Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
http://yahoo.match.com/y/article.aspx?articleid=11866&TrackingID=526103&BannerID=133849

Obviously there will always be issues with generalizations but it seems more accurate then not.

Replies

• Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    Blasted Sonic Wall!!!! Will check this out when I get home! grrrrrr
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    LOL Blocked at my work. Will have to read when I get home.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    This is all news?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Pretty much
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    What surprises me about this list is that the first two imply one thing then say another.

For example, "make the first move" which I (and I'm sure many ladies) would interpret as "ask him out, ask his number" but really means "smile and make eye contact and let him come over to approach you" Or, avoid stale, old school tactics of playing hard to get (but, really you do need to play hard to get).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i like these.

the #1 is pretty much what i consider making the first move. it's not going up to the guy but looking at him, smiling and looking away and then looking back again as if to say "hey i see you. you can come say hi if you want and I'd like that".

#6 is pretty funny because it's something i've noted with guys. i'm always thinking why did this guy call me to not talk? but the explanation makes sense now.

#8 : i've definitely noticed this. if you reach the meet my friends stage then you're pretty far along, especially if they all seem to know everything about you
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    1. I don't consider smiling/flirting from across the room to be "making the first move." Aren't most women born with that instinct? If that's what men think of as making a move, I've got it covered.

2. Whatever. This isn't about gender. It's about people. Some people like to play games; others don't.

3. I don't think expecting a man to earn a good living is superficial. Nobody blinks twice if a man says he expects a woman to have a good job, but if a woman says the same thing about a man, she's a gold-digger. I'm looking for two things: a solid work ethic (to me, this says something about your capacity for loyalty and devotion) and some indication that if we were to get married and start a family and I lose my job for whatever reason, our kids are not going to starve, and the bank isn't going to take our home. That's not superficial; it's practical.

4. I'll speak up when I'm unhappy if you promise to listen and to knock it off in the future so I don't have to bring it up again and be accused of nagging. Deal?

5. You want constructive feedback without having to ask for it. I'm down with that. I like an unsolicited compliment myself from time to time.

6. I'd rather you not call if you don't have time to focus on the conversation. I get pretty annoyed when anyone -- friend, family, or guy I'm dating -- calls me and proceeds to ignore me while doing something that is obviously more important. Did you think I was just sitting by the phone, waiting for it to ring? We all have stuff to do. If I like you, I want to hear from you. But it can wait till you have time to talk. Really, it can.

7. Don't say it if you don't mean it. But if you do mean it, for the love of all that is holy, freaking SAY it. Enough with the "my actions are sufficient" crap. Women are not men. We DO want and need to hear the words, too. This is not us being difficult; it's us having ovaries.

8. Depends on the guy. I've dated guys who brought a different girl to every party and every family function, so being one of those guys' dates didn't mean anything other than he wanted/needed to show up with a girl on his arm. But I do agree with the premise that if you've been dating a guy for months and still haven't met anyone who matters to him, he's not sure about you yet. You may be okay with that, you may not.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I think the article hits pretty spot on. I do think more and more guys are being put under the same microscope for how we look that women have had for the last 50+ years. And with this being a weight loss site, our insecurities are basically doubled. Even when I was over weight I was never as critical of myself and my clothes as I am now.

To add to #1 - it is perfectly okay for a girl to even go so far as to approach a guy. I'm sorry but in a crowded bar, expecting me to catch a split second lingering glance and compute that into an interest just isn't going to happen. I promise that if walk up and say ANYTHING to a guy you're interested in he will get the hint. Ask us what we're drinkng or if we come there often. May sound cheesy but you can quickly show interest by ordering whatever he is drinking for yourself or remarking that you'd like to see him there again sometime. Then just walk away! At that point you've been social and flirty and I promise either that guy or one of his friends will be over to chat you up more.

Sorry for ranting, just really tired of the social stigma for how men are required to approach women.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    What surprises me about this list is that the first two imply one thing then say another.

For example, "make the first move" which I (and I'm sure many ladies) would interpret as "ask him out, ask his number" but really means "smile and make eye contact and let him come over to approach you" Or, avoid stale, old school tactics of playing hard to get (but, really you do need to play hard to get).

It's simple, small, and subtle, but it indicates that you would be ok with being approached. It doesn't seem like a big move, but it is, at least to me. The only thing more uncomfortable than being approached by someone you're not interested in is approaching someone who takes no interest in you.