Energy gels and stuff....

Options
2»

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    i like Infinit. you can make it into a paste or mix it with water, and you can customized it to your own likes

My buddies who just did IMTX love the Infinit Napalm "gel". But yeah their custom blends are awesome too.
  • leeapeea
    leeapeea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If I have the forethought to get a decent snack in before a run, I can trust my body for about 2 hours unless it's really rugged terrain. I get low blood sugar pretty quickly, and I get "hangry" (hunger angry), so I tend to pack a Gu gel or similar in my hand-held's pouch just in case.

There seriously is a TON of options on brand, but they all do the same thing. If you have local 5Ks, sometimes they'll give away samples if you want to try without buying. I started by grabbing one or two of each kind at my local running store and giving them a try. Also EMS or similar hiking stores will have similar products. They also sell crackers and cookies (Honey Stinger is a widely distributed brand) that might suit you if the gel/gooey thing doesn't work for you.

Lastly, real food also works, as long as you don't mind slowing down enough to not literally inhale it. Bananas, oranges, pretzels or chips (you need salt on hot days) trail mix with nuts, cereal, m&m's, chocolate covered espresso beans- all of these are good.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you need to experiment and find what works for you... before race day. I find that for my runs of 6+ miles, I take a Powerbar Gel befor I run, and then another after about an hour.... depending on my mileage and time I'm running. I also make sure I'm properly hydrated BEFORE a run, or I'm more sluggish. I can't tolerate sports drinks while I run, so I just bring water.

The Gu's and gels do provide energy, but you need to make sure they don't upset your stomach.
  • Joysuzhou
    Joysuzhou Posts: 29
    Options
    Interesting! All this time since I have been running long distance, never thought of adding these supplementary stuff. Thanks for sharing !
  • enchantedeskape
    Options
    I make my own (a Fuel Belt gel flask - equiv to about 4 or 5 gels - costs me a little over $1 and is enough for 2 Sunday long runs)

The measurements aren't precise but the recipe goes like this:

Fill the flask to the 3 line with honey
    Add molasses (to the 4 or 4.5 depending on how thick you like it)
    add a pinch of salt
    top up with water to dilute and shake vigorously

I've found it works as well as any of the gels I've tried, is 100% natural and is a fraction of the cost (plus it tastes like the old fashioned candy kisses that you used to get at Halloween)

Thank you!!! I have a terrible food sensitivity to a preservative that is present in a lot of the gels and such. I haven't used anything out of fear of getting sick while running. This though...This I can do :)

I had been thinking about running with honey sticks, too. A local guy at my farmer's market sales them. But I like the idea of adding a pinch of salt.
  • wils8262
    wils8262 Posts: 3
    Options
    I couldn't use gu without gi issues, so I ended up trying CarbBOOM which is has nothing artificial in it and love it.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I make my own (a Fuel Belt gel flask - equiv to about 4 or 5 gels - costs me a little over $1 and is enough for 2 Sunday long runs)

The measurements aren't precise but the recipe goes like this:

Fill the flask to the 3 line with honey
    Add molasses (to the 4 or 4.5 depending on how thick you like it)
    add a pinch of salt
    top up with water to dilute and shake vigorously

I've found it works as well as any of the gels I've tried, is 100% natural and is a fraction of the cost (plus it tastes like the old fashioned candy kisses that you used to get at Halloween)

bump thanks for this thread.