Introductions

Options
124»

Replies

• griffanie
    griffanie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

My name is Julia and I am trying to recover from a different kind of binge eating problem (mixed with an eating disorder). I joined this group for support and people who understand what I am going through. To explain quickly: I only eat one meal a day at night which usually surpasses 5000 calories. This meal is always fast food or pizza or chips..never anything healthy. The difference between me and someone suffering from bulimia is that I have never ever made myself throw up. I just can't stop eating in this pattern and I need to stop... I feel sluggish and I know i'm hurting my body...
  • LorrsMcD
    LorrsMcD Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, another binge eater here. It's been so interesting reading all of your stories and realising that I'm not alone in this. I've had a problem with food and my weight most of my life and certainly the desire to overeat/comfort eat since I was a child but the binge eating really took off in my early 20s in connection with being in a mentally abusive relationship at the time and I moved on from that but the behaviour stayed with me. I'm in my early 30s now and at the heaviest weight I've ever been in my life. I am receiving treatment for depression and it is working so this is what is motivating me to come on here and start logging my foods and exercise. I did go for CBT counselling specifically for BED last year after being referred by my doctor but I wasn't in the right place for it, I also felt that the counsellor and I didn't really have much of a rapport so I didn't enjoy going there and gave up. He based his approach around Christopher Fairburns book - Overcoming Binge Eating - which I'd already read and have my own copy of so I think I'm better off just continuing with the depression meds, working on the BED myself and seeking out support maybe in places like this.

I signed up to MFP to log foods and to use as a motivation tool. Obviously, I'd love to lose weight too but I feel like for the first time my focus is changing from focussing on the number on the scales to thinking about being fit and healthy and about putting good things in my body. I think I need to focus more on eating the way people normally eat instead of extreme dieting. In saying that, I will be trying to stick to the calorie amounts suggested on here and generally trying to make healthier choices. Recently I'd say my binge eating has toned down a bit this year - earlier this year - say from about the new year until about April/May - I was bingeing every day - not only has my weight shot up in that time but I was spending loads of money on food :( It sort of calmed down for a bit and then got really bad again about 7 weeks ago but things have calmed down a bit once again. I realise I will probably binge again but I want to work hard to try to avoid it as much as possible. If anyone would like to friend me for mutual support, please do so :)
  • FluffyFontaine
    FluffyFontaine Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm Kristy and I've had BED for most of my life. It's only in the last 5 years that it's begun to seriously affect my lifestyle and health. I'm currently on a waiting list to be admitted to a BED outpatient program at a nearby hospital. Fingers crossed I get in sooner, rather than later.

I wish all of you the best of luck! Feel free to friend me, but please do send a message along with your request, letting me know how you found me.

K.
  • dbelka16
    dbelka16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm Dasha. I'm 22 years old, female, and I struggle with binge eating. When I was younger, I restricted a lot of food and then I moved to a different state going into my freshman year of high school to Texas. I didn't know how to make friends because I'd been friends with everyone back home since we were 3, and I turned to food as a comfort. Growing up my family wasn't always in a good spot and I wasn't allowed to eat sometimes because the grown ups were talking downstairs. This led to me binging when I was able to eat, because I was so hungry.
    Now i'm out of that crazy situation and I've grown up a bit, I find myself still eating a lot at one time, even when I'm not hungry. I've known that I've struggled with eating but I've gained almost 60 pounds in 2 years and it's to the point that I'm uncomfortable.
    I know this is a lot but I'm hoping I can find a safe place to settle in and work on myself, while trying to rebuild a relationship with food that's beneficial and healthy.
    I'm excited to start working on it.