Happy June!

Options
sarah44254
sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
June is here!

June brings the official first day of summer (20th)
as well as Hurricane Season for the Atlantic Coast (be careful if you are in that area :noway: )
World Environment Day! (what the heck? the 5th)
Philippines Independence Day (11th)
Flag Day (14th) National Flag week sometimes observed 14th through 20th
Father's Day (17th)
Juneteenth, Emancipation, or Freedom day (19th) celebrating the abolishment of slavery in the United States, June 19th, 1865
St. Baptiste Day (for French-Canadians! 24th)
Paul Bunyan day (28th) hah.

June is also National DAIRY and National ROSE month!

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    And my 30th birthday, the 18th. Very important national holiday. Probably.

Also, yay for DAIRY month! EAT ALL THE ICE CREAM! NATIONAL DAIRY MONTH COMMANDS YOU!
  • sarah44254
    Options
    OooOOO! I will remember :) My little brother will be 9 on the 27th!
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My birthday is also a national holiday, today! :D Tameko, my fellow June birthday baby we will declare June BIRTHDAY MONTH! :D

This month also brings my FAVORITE festival, panegyri festival here in Cincinnati. It it a huge greek festival. I LOVE it. How can you not love chocolate covered baklava, gyros AND spanikopia! mmm.

My goal is to hopefully lose 5lbs this month. I made 2-3 last month so it is a reachable goal. :D

Happy June everyone!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Happy June everyone! I played my last concert of the season last night and tomorrow is my last day of school. I'm looking forward to some summer relaxation! My goal is to lose another half inch around my waist and belly like I did in May. My new calorie limit is working well. Upping it was a wise move -- I needed to eat more. I'm not as hungry, so I'm not tempted to binge, and my weight is holding very steady.

Food for thought: The starting point of all achievement is desire. Keep this constantly in mind. Strengthen Your Desire! Weak desires bring weak results, just as a small amount of fire makes a small amount of heat.

Good luck on reaching your goals this month!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    hey, everyone! not super active these days, but i'm still lurking around. i'm really digging into writing this book, and my brain activity is going off the charts. but i'm having a hard time balancing it with getting off my *kitten*. if i can manage a walk today, i'll call it good. and i have tap tonight too. but my logging has gone to the dumps. i'll work something out eventually. can't believe it's june already! happy monday!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Well then Chan, this is totally applicable to you.

I have this posted in my other group too because I'm trying to remind myself to do it.

Let's make this the month of what I have dubbed ACTIVE SITTING (maybe this is a real thing, I don't know).

Here are the rules:

At least once an hour while you are sitting, for as long as you can or is reasonable, scooch away from your chair back, sit straight with really good posture.

If you are doing something computer related try and arrange things so you can be looking STRAIGHT ahead, not down. If you are sitting and reading/chatting on your phone, hold the phone up in front of you so your head is neutral.

Does this burn extra calories? Yes. How many? No clue. More importantly, its really bad for your back and neck to be constantly leaning against a chair back (instead of using your own back muscles to hold you up) or looking down at a desk or screen.

You won't be able to keep it up all the time, its pretty strenuous. But work on it.
  • vendygirl
    Options
    Tameko - My chair sits so low that people kind of stumble if they sit in it! LOL. I have it so low so that my when I type my arms and hand are laying on the desk horizontal with the keyboard. I also try to sit on the edge of my chair from time to time to force myself to sit up straight.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    ...or better yet -- replace your chair with a stability ball for a few hours a day. I'm thinking I might start doing this at school.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    tameko, thanks for the input - i've been working on it, and yes, it's harder than it seems. mainly because it's easy to forget, so i'm trying to make a habit of it.

going to psycho lady today - first workout in two weeks. i can't figure out my deal - my motivation is not *totally* lost, but it's definitely sputting big time. maybe psycho lady can push me back over.

anyhoo, i just got accepted to graduate school, so that is the latest and greatest in my world - very excited!

i'm going to head off before i can say i missed psycho lady's class because i sat on the computer too long! happy thursday, everyone!
  • vendygirl
    Options
    Chan - Congrats on acceptance to Graudate School! That is wonderful.

This past weekend was LOOOOOONG. We left for St. Louis Thursday after work (6 hr drive) then just chilled Friday. My father-in-law too us to his favorite pubs that he is always checking into with his co-worker (the staff know them by first name.) Then hit up the Cardinals game with his sister that had a fireworks display after the game (Cardinals lost, Cincinnati won - two totally different games. ;D) Then got up early Saturday to drive to Joplin MO for his cousins wedding. 5 hour drive. Checked into the WORST hotel ever (and this place was re-modeled after the big tornado that tore this town apart last year). The wedding was fun. Got to see the crazy clan that is my new family but there was a sadness that was hanging over all of us as his favorite Aunt was back in IL in the hospital. She is fighting her third bought of Cancer and it is not looking well so we were all happy for Kristen to start her new marriage but sad that we know the end is coming for Colleen. **** YOU CANCER is all I have to say.
    Then Sunday we got up at 5am and drove 10 and 1/2 hours straight back to Cincinnati.

Got up and did Bootcamp this morning. I am beat. Then we also have to start mad packing as the closing for our house is next Monday! EEKK!!! I have a friend coming over to help me start the real push to pack tonight while my husband is at class.

Also found out that we have one wedding next summer already (I swear I need put professional wedding guest on my resume as I go to at least 1-2 weddings a year since I was 16!!!) Another cousin of my husbands.

I hop everyone has a good week!
  • sarah44254
    Options
    This weekend is the celebration of Midsummer! Make a crown of flowers, hop over a (small) fire to cleanse your soul, and dance around a pole - also covered in flowers.

Basically just be out in nature and enjoying the longest days of the year!
  • vendygirl
    Options
    This weekend is the celebration of Midsummer! Make a crown of flowers, hop over a (small) fire to cleanse your soul, and dance around a pole - also covered in flowers.

Basically just be out in nature and enjoying the longest days of the year!

If anyone does any of this, I want pictures. :D
  • sarah44254
    Options
    I just read this, aww! I have no pictures. I had a small bonfire in my backyard and ran around it with my puppy. I drove slowly along the highways and backroads but could not find any flowers (hottest days of summer in the desert = no life)
  • vendygirl
    Options
    No worries Sarah! I was celebrating by eating LOTS of greek food at Panegyri festival with lots of beer after a long hard day of cleaning the old apartment out and unpacking the new house!

So June is almost over ladies. I have NO idea if I have lost any weight and nor will I because I have managed to pack up my scale and not find it yet. I think if it is found I might throw it out! LOL. I will go by how I feel and how my clothes fit for a bit. Okay I won't throw it out but I will give it to the husband to put somewhere I won't find it.

I have 3 more weeks of bootcamp left and then I have to figure out what I want to do on my own that won't cost me as much money. They do have a PE class but it just seems a little too much for me but if I pay for the class it will get my butt in gear. This week probably isn't the week for me to make decisions because the last three weeks have been an emotional roller coaster both personally and at work. I am looking forward to just relaxing ALL weekend doing very little. We are still unpacking but most of the house is slowly coming together. My office hasn't been touched but I don't use it that often right now so I am not worried, plus I can close the door to that room and ignore it! LOL

Have a good day ladies.
  • WA_Teacher
    WA_Teacher Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    HI LADIES!:flowerforyou:

Hope all is well. I am enjoying the first few days of summer break. Because of the heavy snow this winter, we had LOTS of snow days to make up and our last day was the 22nd...:grumble: ugh it about killed me. Right now I'm enjoying my morning coffee while watching the Today Show.

As for my goals, I'm back in the gym on a regular basis and I'm starting to drop the pounds I gained whenI tried to quit smoking. I can't believe I gained 20 pounds in those 5 months. But I'm not giving up; I'm going to try to quit smoking again and will keep trying until it sticks...I will not let cigs beat me!

Alrighty, I better get breakfast so I can get motivated.
    Have great day ladies and ttfn! :wink:
    V
  • vendygirl
    Options

As for my goals, I'm back in the gym on a regular basis and I'm starting to drop the pounds I gained whenI tried to quit smoking. I can't believe I gained 20 pounds in those 5 months. But I'm not giving up; I'm going to try to quit smoking again and will keep trying until it sticks...I will not let cigs beat me!

Alrighty, I better get breakfast so I can get motivated.
    Have great day ladies and ttfn! :wink:
    V

That is the spirit V! Get back on that wagon. It is hard to quit (took me SEVERAL tries before it stuck). Some folks get it done first try, some take a dozen or more. Just take it one day at a time and you will get there!

Enjoy your summer vacation.