"winking"

Options
christine24t
christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
What is the point of a wink/something similar on a dating website?? If a guy winks at you, does he want you to make the first move by sending him a message? Or is this just a way of avoiding writing a message since a lot of men get rejected anyway and they don't want to waste time writing a message? Or do men just do this to "bookmark" a woman's profile page?

And women...do you respond to winks?

Replies

• Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I find it creepy as hell so I never do it, but my guess is it saves time since the response rate is generally abysmal. Some of the guys here posted a few weeks ago that they may get a response on 1 in 10 letters they write. I can't even imagine a response rate that high.
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Daisy_Cutter Posts: 774
    Options
    What is the point of a wink/something similar on a dating website?? If a guy winks at you, does he want you to make the first move by sending him a message? Or is this just a way of avoiding writing a message since a lot of men get rejected anyway and they don't want to waste time writing a message? Or do men just do this to "bookmark" a woman's profile page?

And women...do you respond to winks?

I never wink.... it's lame. IF I guy winks at me it kind of pisses me off that he doesn't have the balls to just write something down.

Oh, yeah, but then the "wink" would turn into "'Hey!" and that would be the extent of it.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Any woman who responds to a wink deserves what she gets.
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I get winked at from time to time, but I don't respond to that. I also don't give 'winks' or whatever out. I find it just too weird.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Wow, I don't do online dating now but when I did, one of the few things I liked about it was the winks. They're such fun. :bigsmile: I also saw them as a way of checking out if someone liked the look of me without putting them on the spot by sending a message. I could ignore a wink, but not a message.

I once had an entire conversation with someone via winks for days. When we ran out of smilies we started messaging. We eventually met - no chemistry alas but he was a great friend and sent me beautiful poetry - all thanks to winks :wink:
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    The guy I'm currently seeing sent me a wink. That was two weeks ago. I don't respond to all winks, but he was fine, so I did respond to his. LOL I tried to "wink" back, but couldn't, so I ended up sending him a message, saying: "ugh, stupid iphone won't let me wink at you, so consider yourself winked at." Within 30 seconds, he sent me a message back. We emailed back and forth a few times before I shot him my number. He called me that night, and we've been talking ever since. We've met in person once, and that was FANTASTIC... we talk multiple times a day... second meeting today...
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I respond to a wink with a wink. I'm big on "responding in kind" this time around, so if they wink I wink. If they write "hi" I write "hi" back. It's worked so far. In the last 2 months, I've met 14 guys and only one of them was a real jerk. So I don't have an issue with winks.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Wow, I don't do online dating now but when I did, one of the few things I liked about it was the winks. They're such fun. :bigsmile: I also saw them as a way of checking out if someone liked the look of me without putting them on the spot by sending a message. I could ignore a wink, but not a message.

this^^^^ And also, if the person hasn't subscribed the only thing they can do is wink!! A wink back may mean they will pay to talk to you, or vice versa :bigsmile: