Tera

Options
scunningham2012
scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
While my fiance has run off to Diablo 3 I find myself bored on TERA with no one to talk to. If anyone plays let me know! :) I would love to have someone to chit-chat with while I run around enjoying the graphics and killing things!

Replies

• jl622
    jl622 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi. There is another tera post on here, don't know if you saw it. Anyway, I was hating on tera at first but I have changed my character and play almost every night now. I'm at level 24 now. What level are you?? Add me, my name is Kewps. I'm on Dragonfall server.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    How is Tera? Is it another WoW copy?
  • scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    @Jl622 - I'm level 29 almost 30. I will add you but I think I may be in a different server (lol).
    @Kapeluza - Not really. You have some typical races and classes but there are no factions and there are newer races and classes to chose from, you actually have to dodge who you're fighting and the quest line is pretty good. Customization is pretty good as well!
  • jl622
    jl622 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    @Jl622 - I'm level 29 almost 30. I will add you but I think I may be in a different server (lol).

oooo, that sucks.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    How is Tera? Is it another WoW copy?

Because WoW was the first MMO.

Tera is a pretty typical in the repetitive-quest department.
    It's new and fun in the way combat works - no tab targeting and turreting. It's more like playing a twitch game. Sort of like Soulcalibur MMO.
    There's also a political system in game where you can run provinces. Not sure how in-depth the running gets, aside from setting taxes and unlocking vendors.
    It's also very pretty and power efficient.
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Sorry, it's off-topic, but my inner gaming historian is screaming out here. WoW is the most recognized MMO of all time, but it only launched in 2004. Long before Wow, in 1999, there was the popular Everquest. Before that, in 1997, there was Ultima Online. And the first graphical MMORPG, AD&D Neverwinter Nights (not to be confused with the later Bioware title), was released in 1991. And there were plenty of games between these, too.

And before all of those, beginning in 1978 and gaining more popularity in the late 80s, there were text-based MUDs. There is some disagreement over whether these truly qualify as "MMORPGs," and I really don't know how large they were earlier on... but I can say that that around 2002 I played the Discworld MUD, which was founded in 1991 and opened to the public in 1992, and it was definitely an RPG, and it definitely had a massive number of players. Which means that there was a good chance that this, and at least some others before it, were essentially MMORPGs as well. Maybe a pre-90s gamer can confirm this.

...Anyway. That's all.

tl;dr - WoW was definitely not the first MMORPG.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Sorry, it's off-topic, but my inner gaming historian is screaming out here. WoW is the most recognized MMO of all time, but it only launched in 2004. Long before Wow, in 1999, there was the popular Everquest. Before that, in 1997, there was Ultima Online. And the first graphical MMORPG, AD&D Neverwinter Nights (not to be confused with the later Bioware title), was released in 1991. And there were plenty of games between these, too.

And before all of those, beginning in 1978 and gaining more popularity in the late 80s, there were text-based MUDs. There is some disagreement over whether these truly qualify as "MMORPGs," and I really don't know how large they were earlier on... but I can say that that around 2002 I played the Discworld MUD, which was founded in 1991 and opened to the public in 1992, and it was definitely an RPG, and it definitely had a massive number of players. Which means that there was a good chance that this, and at least some others before it, were essentially MMORPGs as well. Maybe a pre-90s gamer can confirm this.

...Anyway. That's all.

tl;dr - WoW was definitely not the first MMORPG.

*facepalm*
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    It's okay wellbert, I recognized your sarcasm.
  • unassembledandy
    Options
    It's okay wellbert, I recognized your sarcasm.

*chuckle*

but yeah everything gets compared to WoW, because its the giant target, like every shooter gets compared to COD, or a while back every platformer to mario

*every* <-- obviously not... but still

i cant wait for GW2, but maaan i wish people would stop with the "wow killer" etc...
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    *facepalm*

Oh dear... *self-facepalm*
    I'm sorry, so many modern gamers have this exact misconception... but that's exactly what makes it great sarcasm. >_>