Grand Old Day

Options
MNchick
MNchick Posts: 371 Member
Anyone go? Have a good time? Any good music? Food?

Replies

• bhayes82
    bhayes82 Posts: 37
    Options
    Grand Old Day has turned in to a cluster**** of massive proportions, from the crowds of *kitten* to the complete stupidity that is an $8 wristband just to buy a $10 beer.

So, no, I did not go. I rode my bike around the river with some friends, and had beers on their patio. :P

Grand Ave is a lovely place to hang out on any other day of the year, however. Although I'm more of a Selby guy, I guess. Happy Gnome, Muddy Pig, Nina's, Costello's, Moscow on the Hill, W.A. Frost... yes please.
  • MNchick
    Options
    I just went to the Muddy Pig for the first time last summer. I'll definitely be back this summer!
  • bhayes82
    bhayes82 Posts: 37
    Options
    I just went to the Muddy Pig for the first time last summer. I'll definitely be back this summer!

Their patio is tiny, but fabulous if you can grab a spot. Great beer list, too!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Nope I didn't go. I hate that place. I have never liked going there. I had a few friends who wanted to go see GB Leighton out there but I don't know if they actual went.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I had to pop to Kowalskis for my birthday cake and it was hell getting in and out of the parking lot!

LOTS of people getting pulled over for seatbelt violations too. Derp.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Grand Old Day has turned into a first class *kitten* show!! I went for the last time 3 years ago and will never go back!! I hear it gets bigger and crazier every year still tho.
  • StarryOne
    StarryOne Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear I am not just becoming a crotchety old lady in my despise of Grand Old Day. I loved it back when I was in high school, but now it is just a gross frat party. I avoided Grand Ave all together- and didn't even forget it was happening and get stuck in the mess of traffic.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have gone for like 3 years but really what is there to do.
    I personally don't drink all that often and when I do it isn't beer, I never buy crap from vendors

So for me it is just a "free" event to go to and look at all the idiots causing chaos.. so nope didn't go this year.
    Maybe next year to get my idiot fill.. But I can do that anyday of the week by going to MOA :)
  • The_Carrie
    The_Carrie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Missed Grand Old day this year. My brother and his wife used to live on Grand right next to Kowalski's and would always have a keg. Ever since they moved, there is less of a draw to go back. Enjoying a brew on the streets of Grand has become so expensive.
  • MNchick
    Options
    I used to live off of Osceola/Victoria and work at Kowalskis...all before I was 21, so I think just being able to walk up there and walk around and watch the parade was fun back then.

Things were at least a bit calmer at our restaurant than last year...last year a couple getting it on got booted from the bathroom and then someone managed to separate a bathroom sink from the wall...YIKES!
  • poncho33
    Options
    I used to live off of Osceola/Victoria and work at Kowalskis...all before I was 21, so I think just being able to walk up there and walk around and watch the parade was fun back then.

Things were at least a bit calmer at our restaurant than last year...last year a couple getting it on got booted from the bathroom and then someone managed to separate a bathroom sink from the wall...YIKES!

My buddy is a bouncer at Wild Onion, he has to boot people every night for trying to do the deed in the downstairs womans bathroom!!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I had to pop to Kowalskis for my birthday cake and it was hell getting in and out of the parking lot!

LOTS of people getting pulled over for seatbelt violations too. Derp.

LOVE ME some Kowalskis! We don't have anything like that in Duluth...........I like Grand Ave for hanging out on a quiet day - have never heard of "grand old day", and it sounds like a zoo!
  • MNchick
    Options
    Yeah...I think things have maybe become crazier in the last few years. I try to go if I'm home for that time of year, just to help out at the restaurant, otherwise, I'm just as happy to go to Taste of MN or go to the State Fair
  • poncho33
    Options
    Yeah...I think things have maybe become crazier in the last few years. I try to go if I'm home for that time of year, just to help out at the restaurant, otherwise, I'm just as happy to go to Taste of MN or go to the State Fair

I think they got rid of Taste of MN, also Lumberjack days in stillwater is gone.
  • StarryOne
    Options
    MNChick- which restaurant is your family's? If it's in Saint Paul, I've probably been there!
  • MNchick
    Options
    MNChick- which restaurant is your family's? If it's in Saint Paul, I've probably been there!

Tavern on Grand
  • StarryOne
    Options
    Cool! That's a great place. I've been there many, many times!
  • MNchick
    Options
    My favorite thing of all time there is the Chicken Pot Pie...too bad it is only seasonal :(