good running books

Options
jocamaria
jocamaria Posts: 25 Member
Can anyone recommend a good book about running? I'm still a beginner (3 months under my belt). I love running, and I'd like to get better. Eventually I'd like to complete a half marathon. I'd love a book that talks nutritution, training plans, and staying injury free.

Thanks.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Daniels Running Formula by Jack Daniels

http://www.amazon.com/Daniels-Running-Formula-2nd-Edition/dp/0736054928

It covers it, soup to nuts. There is a lot of technical stuff in there. Don't get hung up on it at first. It covers all the basics too.
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading "Performance Nutrition for Runners" by Matthew Fitzgerald. He's got a lot of books out there, thorugh Runner's World. I'd like to read "Racing Weight" (also by Fitzgerald).

As a beginner, I've always enjoyed reading Runner's World magazine. It's got a lot of good tips when you're starting out. Basically you can find all the articles in the magazine on the website for free, and the message boards and forum discussions are informative.

And if you really want to get motivated to run that half (or someday full!) marathon, read "Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide: Advice, Plans, and Programs for Half and Full Marathons" by Hal Higdon.

That's a good start at least. Happy reading and welcome to the running world!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    "Chi Running" by Danny Dreyer totally changed how I run. I had never thought about form much at all, but following his method, I was running further and faster than I ever had almost right away. It also increased how much I enjoyed running.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Runner's World is a great resource... even if you just read the forums... !
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The Runners Body (Tucker, Dugas, Fitzgerald) It's a Rodale/Runners World book but buy it from amazon.

+1 on Daniel's Running Formula.
  • roadrunner32
    Options
    Christopher McDougall — Born to Run
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading "Performance Nutrition for Runners" by Matthew Fitzgerald. He's got a lot of books out there, thorugh Runner's World. I'd like to read "Racing Weight" (also by Fitzgerald).

As a beginner, I've always enjoyed reading Runner's World magazine. It's got a lot of good tips when you're starting out. Basically you can find all the articles in the magazine on the website for free, and the message boards and forum discussions are informative.

And if you really want to get motivated to run that half (or someday full!) marathon, read "Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide: Advice, Plans, and Programs for Half and Full Marathons" by Hal Higdon.

That's a good start at least. Happy reading and welcome to the running world!

i've never heard of the first book, but the runners world and hal higdon suggestions are spot on.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach
    Brad Hudson (Author), Matt Fitzgerald (Author)
  • jocamaria
    jocamaria Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've been reading runner's world magazine. It's been really helpful so far. I look forward to pick some of the books you guys listed this summer.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've been reading runner's world magazine. It's been really helpful so far. I look forward to pick some of the books you guys listed this summer.

I prefer Running Times to Runner's World by a factor of 10. All the good stuff without the fluff.
  • dane11235813
    Options

I prefer Running Times to Runner's World by a factor of 10. All the good stuff without the fluff.

i don't think i've ever seen that magazine up here.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

www,runningtimes.com
  • dane11235813
    Options

www,runningtimes.com

ya i just read their online article on some trail races.

funny thing is when you go to the subscription order page....at the bottom there's a tab to "add one year of Runners World for $16"
    LOL
    i guess they're owned by the same company?!?!
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Yes, they are. Same publisher.
  • Emilit_uk
    Emilit_uk Posts: 87
    Options
    Runners world for info, for inspiration, Ultra marathon man by Dean Karnasez, this guy is my hero!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Running times is better..and was even better before Runners World bought them out.

I'm not a fan of any running magazine that photoshops body parts around for their covers...and yes, they have done that.