YOUR safe kitchen

Options
gemiwing
gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
How do you keep YOUR kitchen safe for you to eat in?

Does your non-allergic spouse or family members have their own utensils and plates? Does your allergen simply not gain entrance to the home? Do you have tips, tricks or compromises you've found work for you? What do YOU do?

I'm allergic to wheat, can't walk past it in the store even or I break out and can't breathe. Hubbs loves bread and we're trying to gather info on how other families cope when one member needs some special food considerations. I do all the cooking so the bread is for him for his snacks of PB&J sammiches.

Replies

• barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have four kids, and we all have different allergies/sensitivities. I'm also the cook in the family. I would go completely insane if I had to try to manage different foods/meals for everyone, so when one person is diagnosed with an allergy or sensitivity, the whole family does without. It may sound cruel, but they'll live. There are lots of yummy foods in the house to eat, and everyone can always go out to eat and indulge later. Honestly, there have been no complaints. Sometimes we sit around and indulge in a little self pity, but for the most part I try to encourage them to be grateful for what we have. My husband is completely understanding and never complains. In fact, he says that we are now all eating healthier than ever and he feels more energy and vitality.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing how your family works, barefoot. And thank you to those who PM'd me their solutions and tips.

Much appreciated and would love to hear from more people how they keep their homes allergen-free for them and comfortable for the other members of their family.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Our house is fairly nut free aside from my husband's little chocolate chip cookies he takes for lunch.

Growing up was a little different. Both my parents are allergic to eggs, my brother is allergic to wheat/lactose intolerant, and I'm the nut allergy person. My Mom would prep food in stages to prevent cross-contamination. The allergen would be added last and only for who ever was getting that portion (usually the nuts). She would sometimes make separate dishes also. My parents would have one thing, my brother another, I and another. Each item made in a separate dish with separate utensils.

If one dish didn't look clean coming out of the dishwasher, we'd run the whole load again to prevent cross contamination.

My husband's family puts food safe for me in green dishes and the unsafe foods are in red dishes. lol