century and heavy weight lifting

Options
sleepytexan
sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
Hi there,

In March I added heavy lifting into my workout schedule. I'm doing SL 5x5, and have a question for any of you who lift heavy in addition to cycling.

I'm doing the San Luis Obispo Lighthouse Century at the end of Sept. - just the 77 mile option. I did the full century last year (with 3500 ft. of climibing), BUT I did not lift heavy then.

Do you think it is necessary to temporarily stop lifting or else deload for some period of time before the ride?

How long before? What percentage deload?

Many thanks for your advice.

blessings.

Replies

• sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I don't lift heavy (yet) but I took a little over a week off from all workouts before my century. I just wanted to make sure I was well rested and didn't have to worry about any DOMS. Wish I could help more with the lifting question.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I would say do your normal taper prior to the ride. With heavy lifting you are working your core which is huge for cycling, it'll make your stronger specifically the squats which are going to be great for developing hamstrings and quads.

I have also started 5x5 and found that I have become much stronger on the climbs and holding cadence.

Hope this helps
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    thank you both.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Power cleans are amazing for cycling. They really helped my out-of-the-saddle power.

You should definitely consider how much fatigue you're getting from lifting. A solid sets of squats can utterly wipe your legs for 1-2 days.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    It's a beautiful ride. Have fun!