Pickles

Options
katmariew
katmariew Posts: 87 Member
I just ate 4 mini-dill pickles (20 cals!) They tasted slightly off (not bad, just different) than what I'm used to. Looked at the expiration date...December 2011. I just opened the jar today, broke the seal. It had never been open before. Is it okay to eat, other than being ever so slightly off tasting?

I love pickles, they soothe hunger and satisfy salty snack cravings :)

Replies

• DarinGettingHawtin2013
    DarinGettingHawtin2013 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You should be okay. I mean, throw away your jar and buy a new one. But you're going to be fine.

The worst you will most likely suffer is the poor taste. But in terms of bacterial or fungal growth, there is enough acid/salt in the pickling juice to prevent growth of anything yucky.

Now this is talking as though you are talking major brand - Klaussen, Mt Olive, that one with the pelican who eats pickles, etc. If they're home-pickled, there's more variation (but you're fine if the pickler followed the recipe and sealed it correctly).

If you start feeling unwell, keep an eye on it and be reasonable. As in, if your lifestyle is disrupted significantly, go to a doctor. I guess that should go for anyone at any time at all, by the way. :sick: