Stress = Losing Weight

Options
LovesGG
LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
I hate that when I am stressed out or depressed, I can't even eat a pea. I feel like my metabolism turns all the way up and my stomach decides to shut the door and pretend to be full. When my mind is occupied with overwhelming thoughts I have a very hard time even getting 1200 calories in. I'm struggling with keeping my intake up on bad days/weeks.

Anyone else have this equation in common?
Do you force yourself through it, make up for it later, or just wait until you feel better (and lose a massive amount of weight) and start at square one again?
Also, I'm very open for tips because I feel like I stress myself out even more when I realize that I should really eat something.

Replies

• RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    i have the exact same problem
    when i'm stressed i completely lose my appetite and if i try to force myself to eat something as soon as it hits my tongue i feel nauseated

what i try to do is
    1. drink calories esp. a fruit smoothie! that seems to go down alright
    2. eat when i can even... if it is just a piece of toast or crackers
    3. de-stress! mindfulness or hatha yoga, prayer & breathing exercises works for me

ever since i started doing mindfulness yoga & meditation consistently i rarely feel stressed
  • ijiiii
    ijiiii Posts: 61
    Options
    I have the same issue as well. Depression and stress kills my appetite. Yesterday I had my worst eating day since I've joined due to a little bit of depression and stress.

However I keep coming back to this site and another to help keep me motivated. I'm almost 30 years old and I can't keep putting off my weight every time I have issues. Sometimes I wish I had a real life eating buddy who I can pig out with through thick and thin.

For now, just shake it off best you can and just focus on the rewards of reaching your goals. Good luck to all of us.
  • Zsala88
    Zsala88 Posts: 8
    Options
    Yes! Never had it made much of an impact on my weight until last year, I suffered a breif bout of illness onset by stress.
    Waiting through it, I made the biggest mistake. I lost almost 30lbs in a few months period.

I couldnt really "eat" much but I failed to realize there are a few other options.
    You can take multi-vitamins, protein shakes, smoothies worked better for me since I wouldnt want to add milk to my upset stomach. Or try trail mix, wheat toast with peanut butter, you'll be suprised at how many calories you can make up by quick snacking.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely have similar issues, Stress is a killer for me too, same if I'm very upset, I seem to be an emotional uneater...all you can do is shove something in cause you know you body needs it. Try to make really calorie dense choices with what you eat, cause you will be eating less of everything. Or like Rae said, drink your cals with juices and shakes and nibble on nuts, that's a great trick of mine, dry roasted almond make me thirsty so I always nibble on them with a glass of juice, easy calories!