Lifting Bloopers

Qarol
Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
A funny thing happened to me at the gym tonight...

And because I can laugh at myself, and because I don't mind when others do either, I share this nugget with y'all.

Tonight, I was supposed to squat 75 lbs. New weight amount for me. woot. I confidently put a 10 lb plate, a 5 lb plate, and a 2.5 lb plate on each side of that 45 lb olympic bar.

Have you figured out the problem yet? Yea, I didn't figure out the problem until I finished and moved onto bench. Also at 75 lbs. I stopped and thought, wait...that means only the 10 lb and 5 lb plates. No 2.5 lb plate. Oops.

This tops the time I was supposed to bench 60 lbs and row 65 lbs but wound up benching 65 lbs and rows at 60 lbs.

I think I may have killed a few million brain cells since college...I aced calculus but can't seem to do basic math when it comes to these plates. derp...

The good news? My form wasn't half bad tonight...but after the first set, my husband asked me how it felt. I said, "heavy." Even HE didn't catch the error!

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    did you end up doing all 5X5 at 80? with good form?

(I've f*ed up my plates before too, nothing to feel bad about!)
  • Qarol
    did you end up doing all 5X5 at 80? with good form?
    YES! At least, halfway decent form. After dinner, I will upload the video.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I hate messing up the plates, but I must say that it's always great to mess 'em up with a heavier weight and find that it works. Go Q!!
  • Qarol
    aaaand...you wanted video. My last set. Don't count the first rep, please.

Now the million dollar question is...do I go back to 75 lbs next time or stay at 80 lbs? :huh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-0OrXU0FRY
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    My B.A. is in math.

I've messed up my squat weight 3 or 4 times now.

*sigh*
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Hey, if you can do the 80, stay there. Heck, maybe even move up again.