Do you share you diary - if so, why? If not, why not?

SlinkyNewMe
SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
I am not an expert in nutrition and dietetics. I DO know what is healthy and not healthy. I have learnt the hard way that the starvation levels set by MFP are unworkable and will wreck your metabolism - having been on a plateau for 4 months now. I BELIEVE from my own experience of being on this plateau, from reading stuff on the internet, from the fat2fitradio.com website, and from reading posts on the Eat More to Weigh Less group on here, that no-one should EVER eat under their BMR for a sustained period to time.

I have raised my calories to 1800 calories and I am trying to get as close to that as possible - my appetite has been wrecked from starving myself on 1200 then 1500 calories since January so now I am "never hungry" a classic sign that my metabolism has slowed down.

I am a strict vegetarian, eating only plant based foods - I share my diary with my MFP friends. I take their comments on board, I consider their comments and dismiss those I feel are irrelevant to me, incorporate those that I feel are helpful. Sharing my diary has helped me to increase my protein, reduce my carbohydrates, watch my sodium intake, learn about different foods I can include in my daily diet, try and drink more water. It has also held me accountable so when I slip up and have that wine, or dessert - everyone who looks at my diary will know about it! If I did that for a couple of days in a row, I believe one or more of my lovely MFP's will say "hey, what's up girl?" and guide me towards more healthier choices.

I hope that sharing my diary has also introduced my MFP friends into a new way of eating. I am not here to proselytise the benefits of veganism - but I hope they can see that it is possible eat that way, and still have variety, and not starve! So I feel that sharing diaries can be of reciprocal benefit. The times I have hidden my diary have been times when I have felt pessimistic about my weight loss journey - when I have felt I have been doing all the right things but getting nowhere, and have therefore felt a bit defensive about the comments - that were given with my interests at heart. But those were my issues - not my MFP's.

So those are my reasons for sharing my diary. Of course in sharing you have to learn how to give and receive feedback. That has not always been easy, but I have learnt that if I feel defensive about certain feedback, there must be a reason for that. If I was 100% happy with what I was doing, I would not feel that way.

So I am wondering amongst you ladies, do you share your diary - if so why? if not, why not? What difficulties have you faced with sharing/not sharing? How do you feel about giving feedback when you see big "no-no's" on your friend's diaries or calorie intake? How do you feel about the feedback you receive?

It would be interesting to hear your views.

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    yes, I always question myself when I get defensive even if it not at the specific time that I get defensive. Usually there is a really good reason why I react strongly about something. I will never comment on a closed diary ! If I don't know what people are eating and how much they are eating, then how could I possibly comment?!! I am not much for being phoney. I understand some of the reasons I have heard and respect people that want to keep it to themslves, but in return it really puts me at a loss on how to support. Especially since their weight loss could be due to not eating enough or eating super unhealthy food. I can support their exercise and I do. Saying that though, right now I am practicing not tracking and I took away the scale except for once a month. I need to know that I can do it while I am on vacation for a month. I am letting the way my clothes fit me be my guide and I am so sick of letting the number on the scale define who I am. But my friends all know that I eat extremely healthy. Exercise was my downfall before but I continue to log all my exercise now. My life is an open book. I don't like to keep secrets ;). To each his own but I prefer people that have a similar mindset to me. I like to know where I have people and I am nosey ;) hehe.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Agreed. Sometimes people belong to a group elsewhere and use MFP for logging and for the social network. I agree with you, that it is difficult to offer genuine feedback or support to a closed diary so I just don't do it either.
  • seguess
    seguess Posts: 36 Member
    I'd open mine up but I don't know how to do it...if you can give me instructions, I'd be glad to open it up! I had a nutrition coach for an 8 week session, but that's over now and I'd like to get feedback and new ideas from others as well as share some things I've learned.
  • themissusc
    themissusc Posts: 20
    I'd open mine up but I don't know how to do it...if you can give me instructions, I'd be glad to open it up! I had a nutrition coach for an 8 week session, but that's over now and I'd like to get feedback and new ideas from others as well as share some things I've learned.

Go to your Settings page (link is at the top/left side of the page)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/settings
    and you'll see the Diary options :flowerforyou:
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    I do not share my diary. Here's why. I find that I have a strong desire to fudge what I'm eating, and may let little things slip, like dressing, or a few bites here and there, because I don't want to share the details of my bad day. I find I am much more honest with myself, and hold myself more accountable, if I keep it private. There are too many factors that go into a "bad day" that just the food list doesn't fully take into account. So, it's not about you, it's about me. At the end of the day, I have to keep myself to the most honest detailed account of what is going in my mouth. I do that better when I keep it private. As to commenting on what others eat, I don't. Ever. I offer support. If asked, ideas on what has worked for me, recipes, exercise suggestions, or just a "way to go". Judgement? Never.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    I support everyone's individual choice to do what is right for them. You have to be honest with yourself before you cna be honest with others. I have my diary open to my friends because I welcome feedback and support but I don't want random people who know nothing about me or my journey to be commenting on my choices. I've never had any of my friends comment negatively about my diary even when I'm "bad" and eat french fries, go out for a few drinks or don't exercise. We're all supposed to lift each other up and not cut each other down but I can understand why some people would be worried to share the "whole truth" based on some of the comments I've read in the forums.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    My diary is open. I strive for 1800 calories a day. Otherwise, I'm just too hungry. I like looking at other members' diaries just to see the variety.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    I just noticed my diary is open to friends...if you want to see, friend me ; )
  • beccahummel423
    beccahummel423 Posts: 72 Member
    I have mine open to friends only. I like getting feedback from friends & getting ideas as well.
  • riouxt
    riouxt Posts: 104 Member
    I like looking at friends' diaries to see what adjustments I can make and for meal ideas. I keep mine open (to friends) so if (more likely when) I need some help, others can take a peek and offer helpful information. I'm not the healthiest by any stretch but just am trying to eat better. Yes there is dessert on my diary and hamburgers and fries but there are also fruit and veggies and even the odd glass of milk. My friends will understand and support me as I try and choose the less healthy things less often. Just as I support them.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Some great replies there. I only share my diary with friends, not the whole of MFP. Lately I have commenting more on exercise than on diaries. If someone chooses to use their calories on fries and burgers I don't what can I say? Probably better to say nothing and let my own diary speak for itself. Another option would be to explain your philosophy in the profile something like "I believe in eating clean and healthy most of the time and not starving myself by eating under 1500 calories to loose weight - please friend me if you believe the same" .....or something like that anyway.
  • jenjones28
    jenjones28 Posts: 66 Member
    I like looking at friends' diaries to see what adjustments I can make and for meal ideas. I keep mine open (to friends) so if (more likely when) I need some help, others can take a peek and offer helpful information. I'm not the healthiest by any stretch but just am trying to eat better. Yes there is dessert on my diary and hamburgers and fries but there are also fruit and veggies and even the odd glass of milk. My friends will understand and support me as I try and choose the less healthy things less often. Just as I support them.
    Amen to what you said! I like looking at others' diaries to get ideas for what I can add to my own choices. I'm always flipping through diaries of my friends who are doing well and thinking "Oooh, that sounds good" or "Oooh, I hadn't thought of that". I like to make positive comments for them because I know the people I've friended on this site are trying hard, even though they may stumble once in a while. I'm open to feedback and suggestions on my own diary too, but as you can't really tell a person's overall situation (age, height, bone and muscle build), and you have no idea of what their day is like other than what exercise they log, I take all the feedback with a grain of salt and trust that it's meant in good faith. If someone is making comments that seem judgemental and not meant to be helpful....well, maybe that's someone I don't need on my weight loss journey.
  • riouxt
    riouxt Posts: 104 Member
    Some great replies there. I only share my diary with friends, not the whole of MFP. Lately I have commenting more on exercise than on diaries. If someone chooses to use their calories on fries and burgers I don't what can I say? Probably better to say nothing and let my own diary speak for itself. Another option would be to explain your philosophy in the profile something like "I believe in eating clean and healthy most of the time and not starving myself by eating under 1500 calories to loose weight - please friend me if you believe the same" .....or something like that anyway.

Hear, hear. I totally agree.
  • sheshemac2012
    sheshemac2012 Posts: 12 Member
    I do not share my diary. Here's why. I find that I have a strong desire to fudge what I'm eating, and may let little things slip, like dressing, or a few bites here and there, because I don't want to share the details of my bad day. I find I am much more honest with myself, and hold myself more accountable, if I keep it private. There are too many factors that go into a "bad day" that just the food list doesn't fully take into account. So, it's not about you, it's about me. At the end of the day, I have to keep myself to the most honest detailed account of what is going in my mouth. I do that better when I keep it private. As to commenting on what others eat, I don't. Ever. I offer support. If asked, ideas on what has worked for me, recipes, exercise suggestions, or just a "way to go". Judgement? Never.

I just opened my diary to my 'friends' only. I opened it for the same reason you keep yours private. I think I am more likely to fudge what I am eating if people can't see what I'm eating. I had a habit of not completing my diary if I knew I went WAY over my calorie limit. I am hoping the sharing my diary make me more accountable...because it's easier for me to be dishonest with myself, than it is to be dishonest with others.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Mine is open, and I am very good (so far) about logging everything I eat, I'm trying to stay on top of it, so if I have a problem later on, someone can look at my diet and see what I may be able to change. I'm not doing any "kind" of diet this time, just watching my cals, making good choices, and enjoying what I want in moderation, my problem isnt sweets, fried food, or junk food, its just too much food, so, I got a scale, I'm weighing everything, it makes a huge difference. Mostly however, I prefer an open diary so I can see what other people have for snacks, dinner, etc and get some ideas! My exercise is the only thing I'm not doing regularly yet, I am working on it though, it takes lots of will power to go from fat & lazy to being active. I'm weening myself off the "lazy".