Dry throat when running?

Options
amolina0810
amolina0810 Posts: 106 Member
Okay. This is a weird question LOL! When I am running, my throat gets really really dry! Does this happen to anyone else? I am almost positive it's because I breath through my mouth when I am running. It is annoying because I need to stop and get a drink of water every so often. I am running a 5k this weekend and I don't want to have to stop for water! Any ideas to help? Maybe chewing gum while running? Idk... LOL!

Replies

• trout3063
    trout3063 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I didn't have this issue till I was running longer then 60 minutes. I figured I would run with water for longer distances, but then I tried GU chews. I picked them up to "practice" with them for an upcoming relay race...and I only used them on my long Sunday runs (which are getting to be 10+ miles now) and I was pleasently suprised to find they quench my thirst/dry mouth issues too! By having one or two every few miles I can run (so far 10) miles without feeling the need for water!

If you haven't heard of them they are basically gummy bear texture and I found them are REI, though I think most sporting goods/running stores will carry a similiar product. They come with and withOUT caffiene. The caffiene ones bother my stomach.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have found that chewing gum does help. I never go for a run without gum otherwise i start dry heaving (gross, I know, but reality for me). I also found i can't chew fruity gum because it causes big loogies. Wow this post may be more than you bargained for but it's my personal experiences. Good luck and do some trial and error and you will find what works perfect for you.
  • Nina9925
    Nina9925 Posts: 33
    Options
    I chew gum to help with this!!! Good luck with you 5k!!!!
  • mom2willnmads
    Options
    Yes to the gum. I can't run without it at all. :)

I tried the chews and they just make me more thirsty and I can't handle any food (even on 10+ mile runs) so you definitely have to play with it and find what works for you.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Jolly Ranchers hard candy and splitting the difference in air intake simultaneously through both my nose and mouth helps
  • trout3063
    trout3063 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Update on the chews....tried Orange over the weekend, made me more thirsty. Berry has been the best so far!
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are properly hydrated before the run...

I pop one Halls Breezers Cool Berry just before my run. Lasts me for a little over a mile, and I find it keeps me from getting dry mouth for the rest of the run as well, at least up to 7 miles. Haven't run farther than that yet :)