Here's how you eat more to weigh less

Options
secretlobster
secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
1. Figure out your approximate BMR and TDEE
2. In general, eat more than your BMR but less than your TDEE. If you want to make it really simple, try to eat exactly your TDEE minus 15-20%

If you want to refute this please feel free, and cite your research! Completely open to debate!

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I'm learning....not being a smarta$$ like usual. Thanks
  • Drizap
    Drizap Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been eating anywhere from 1500 - 1650 calories for the last few weeks (maybe months) and I've stayed at the same weight. Maybe I should be eating more? I just did the calculations that you indicated and my tdee is somewhere between 2000 and 2200 (depending on exercise) and my BMR is 1430. I'm not trying to lose lots of weight, 2 pounds would put me at my goal. I'm mostly concerned about slowing down my metabolism by eating too little. I'm new to the science behind all of this and never tracked calories before. I guess i just figured my tdee was lower or something to be staying the same, but did the calculator after reading this topic.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you're at a point of 2 lbs needed to hit goal... You're basically going to need to make sure your net is above BMR(This will protect your metabolic rate) and to get that weight off, you're going to have to lock down your food intake.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    I've been eating anywhere from 1500 - 1650 calories for the last few weeks (maybe months) and I've stayed at the same weight. Maybe I should be eating more? I just did the calculations that you indicated and my tdee is somewhere between 2000 and 2200 (depending on exercise) and my BMR is 1430. I'm not trying to lose lots of weight, 2 pounds would put me at my goal. I'm mostly concerned about slowing down my metabolism by eating too little. I'm new to the science behind all of this and never tracked calories before. I guess i just figured my tdee was lower or something to be staying the same, but did the calculator after reading this topic.

Not trying to be rude here, but for the sake of having the right answer for you... Why do you care about two pounds? From your pictures you don't look like you have any fat to lose. I am wary of giving a person advice on fat loss (after all it's really "fat loss" not "weight loss") when they don't really seem to need it. Also, are you weight training at all? Do you know your BF% (tested by a trainer with calipers or body submersion)? At this point for you, you may need to look more about your macronutrient ratios more than your calorie intake. If you are eating above your BMR you're not going to do any metabolic damage, but you probably want to eat closer to your TDEE (like 1800-1900)
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    there's a science to it, for sure. but it's not always as simple as >bmr but 15-20% less than tdee. and for some people, tdee changes constantly. a weekly average could be suitable along with calorie zig zagging. but we also know that not everyone's bodies exist according to the science of numbers. there are a lot of variables that cause metabolism differences in people, and genetics is involved too. don't sweat the 2lbs, (i'm not sweating my 7+-) and focus more on eating healthy whole foods and getting good varying workouts.

xo
  • Drizap
    Drizap Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    there's a science to it, for sure. but it's not always as simple as >bmr but 15-20% less than tdee. and for some people, tdee changes constantly. a weekly average could be suitable along with calorie zig zagging. but we also know that not everyone's bodies exist according to the science of numbers. there are a lot of variables that cause metabolism differences in people, and genetics is involved too. don't sweat the 2lbs, (i'm not sweating my 7+-) and focus more on eating healthy whole foods and getting good varying workouts.

xo

I am not worrying about 2 lbs. I'm just trying to figure out what maintenance is for me. I thought i found it, because i've been at the same weight, and that is totally fine, but actually from what i'm reading it seems like i could/should be eating more and that's cool too. I haven't done the bf% or anything like that, and i've been tracking macro's. i'm mostly just trying to understand the way my body works with food and be healthy since my diet has changed with cutting out meat. Thanks for all the explanations everyone.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Awwww, no meat. This makes me very, very sad. :((

If you're at a maintain weight, then you want to be eating around your TDEE or lower, but no lower than BMR, but that shouldn't be a problem.

As for how your body handles the macros, I'd say try a few different things out. Everyone seems to have different responses depending on what works for them really. I try and avoid carbs personally, and removing grains has made a world of difference in my energy level! But I also know people who eat insane amounts of carbs(300-400g a day, natural carb sources though) and wouldn't change it at all.
  • secretlobster
    Options

xo

But just because your TDEE changes daily (it will always change daily) doesn't mean that it isn't still a simple equation... This is where the "consistency" folks have a good idea, they make it easy by figuring your general TDEE and then using that number rather than your exact daily TDEE
    You're saying there are a lot of variables and you're correct. But just because there are unknowables and variables doesn't mean that they aren't part of an equation that is reliable. I completely agree with you that when you're looking at two pounds, you're looking at a relatively insignificant amount of mass that isn't going to make your body composition much different. It really totally comes down to numbers. The frustrating part is being near your goal (or at your goal and looking to recomp) and trying to deal with the numbers that, as you mentioned, you can't see (metabolism mostly). There is a lot of trial and error involved in maintenance.

Edited to add: When I posted this originally, I was referring to people who have a significant amount of weight to lose; not people who are looking to recompose their body. That is trickier.