orgran cake mix.

Options
Flab2fitfi
Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
Its my daughters birthday next week and is on a dairy free diet. As hubby and I are both gluten free ( I have coeliacs) i have decided to try and make her a gluten free diary free cake.

As I cant have eggs or soya either I have ordered orgran chocolate cake mix ( she loves her chocolate cake) and was wondering if anyone else had baked with it.

Cakes are the one thing I'm terrible at ( my sister just chucks thing in a bowl and voilà perfect cakes) and thinking of leaving hubby to make it ( he has never baked in his life) especially as I have an exam on her bday.

Replies

• lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have not tried that cake mix.....

I found this though: http://www.instructables.com/id/One-Pan-Chocolate-Cake-Gluten-free-dairy-free-e/
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried that cake mix (actually, I've never heard of it). But I have tried Namaste cake mix, and had to bake without eggs for approx. 2 years.

I've found that applesauce and mashed bananas make a great egg sub, and flax seed as well. Do you have any gf cookbooks? I highly recommend the Allergen Free Bakers Handbook. It's gluten, dairy, egg, soy, and nut free. Everything I've made from there as turned out great! I don't really care for mixes, but that's my own personal thing.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,149 Member
    Options
    I've not tried orgran either but I have used Namaste. Oh Lord, it's wonderful. :-}
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    I have not tried that cake mix.....

I found this though: http://www.instructables.com/id/One-Pan-Chocolate-Cake-Gluten-free-dairy-free-e/

Thank you. I'm going to look into that - one thing though it asks for vinegar so what sort should I use.

Thanks everyone else - as i live in the uk we dont have Namaste but will look up that cook book. I'm pretty use to doing most of my own cooking just not making cakes.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Always use white vinegar in baking... it is purely for the acid (which highlights the sweetness), and not for flavor.
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have not tried orgran cake mix, but i did buy some of their all purpose gf flour blend, and i felt like it has a weird taste to it that other brands don't have. :cry:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Always use white vinegar in baking... it is purely for the acid (which highlights the sweetness), and not for flavor.

thank you I'm going to give it a try next weekend.