Protein

mgoetsch1982
mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
I know that you need protein to building muscles and to help them recover. Is there a point where it becomes too much protein in your system? Also, what are your opinions on drinking a protein shake after a workout, especially if you workout at night before bed? I have Isopure Creamy Vanilla (25g protein per scoop, no carbs). I mix it with Almond Milk. I know that I need to build the muscle and that it needs to be fed. However, I bulk up easily and I don't want that. I'm concerned that drinking the shake after my workout at night will slow down my weightloss.

Replies

• nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    General rule of thumb is don't eat an hour or two before bed. You don't need a ton of protien after a workout to refresh muscles. You do want some generally, so maybe switch out the shake just for milk (still has some protien) or something with less calories.

Bulk vs lean muscle generally has to do more with sets, reps, weight, and the types of exercise than the actual protien and food consumed before, after, or during a workout.

Honestly if you are gaining weight due to muscle, I wouldn't worry about it it. It's better to gain muscle and not lose weight on the scale than to lose weight on the scale and either not have muscle or be losing muscle. Muscle is very important to current and future health.
  • mgoetsch1982
    Ok. Maybe I'll have it about an hour before working out. Then I have the protein in my system and my body can use it for muscle recovery afterwards. Plus I'm not eating anything right before bed. Most of the time I am going to bed about an hour after working out.

Isopure Creamy Vanilla Nutritional facts (per scoop)
    Calories: 105
    Fat: 0.5g
    Carbs: 0g
    Protein: 25g
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Get enough protein during the day and before your workout. It takes a while for protein to digest, so if you drink protein at sometime right before your workout, its not gonna digest a half hour later, it'll digest hours later when your muscles need it.

As long as you have adequate amounts of protein for the entire day then its not necesary to drink your shake right before you go to bed.

Watch this video. http://youtu.be/fqSNOKL5ZkA
  • mgoetsch1982
    How much time should I let my protein shake settle in my stomach before working out if I have it before my workout?
  • Shellanfit
    Shellanfit Posts: 261 Member
    chocolate milk is a great after workout drink I read on a beach body site.
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Just depends whats in the shake. Anywhere from 20 to 90 minutes. Its just about how you feel working out with food in your stomach. If you dont mind, then go ahead and eat Olive Garden and drive straight to the gym. Most people dont like to workout on a full stomach though.

Your body uses blood to digest your food. Your body also uses blood to workout. So, just give yourself whatever amount of time you think is good to let your food go down. A preworkout MEAL should be eaten an hour to 2 hours before a workout. Like I said, people will feel light headed or as if they're tired if they try to workout 5 minutes after they eat. Do what works best for you and your schedule.

Just make sure to eat the adequate amount of protein grams for the entire day.

You can drink your shake before bed as long as the food in your stomach doesnt keep you awake.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    I know that you need protein to building muscles and to help them recover. Is there a point where it becomes too much protein in your system? Also, what are your opinions on drinking a protein shake after a workout, especially if you workout at night before bed? I have Isopure Creamy Vanilla (25g protein per scoop, no carbs). I mix it with Almond Milk. I know that I need to build the muscle and that it needs to be fed. However, I bulk up easily and I don't want that. I'm concerned that drinking the shake after my workout at night will slow down my weightloss.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    you can buy a special protein drink for nighttime if you can get onto the "MYPROTEIN,COM site i don,t know if they deliver to your area but you might find something similar once you know what you are wanting this site also explains wat each product does for the body and if it suits your needs ok
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    for anyone in ontario canada, chocolate milk is on sale at metro!