How accurate are Filipino foods calories listed here?

Options
Hi everyone, do you have an idea how accurate Filipino foods listed here? How do you estimate your foods? Currently I use the generic ones whenever I have something Filipino like halo-halo, gulaman or kare-kare. Also I have no idea if McDonald's, KFC, Subway etc. in the Philippines uses the same ingredients as the one in US or overseas. I see some calorie listing of these fast food stores from US, Canada, UK, Australia, NZ, México etc. but never saw one from Philippines. I know most restaurants & fast food chains here don't disclose nutritional info in public & that is the downside because I know most foods here are high in calories & fat.

Anyway I consulted a nutritionist at my gym & then she told me that most of the food items listed in several sites are US based & that the ingredients may not be the same. I told her that I'm eating approx 1400-1600 cals a day when not working out (I'm currently on cutting cycle) & around 1800-2000+ cals when working out or when I'm in bulking cycle but when the nutritionist assessed the foods that I typically eat daily, she told me that I only eat close to 1050 cals a day which is way too low for me! Based on my age, current height & weight, my BMR is 1315 cals and that excludes those muscles that I gained so meaning my bmr is more than that. I'm not here to lose weight & my aesthetic goal is to have a fitness model body which translates to high muscle mass & around 16-17% body fat.

Replies

• justbob707
    justbob707 Posts: 21
    Options
    I don't know how accurate it is. Some of it seems off in my opinion. The calories seems kinda low to me. So whenever I eat a Filipino dish, I use the recipe nutrition facts calculator to be more accurate.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. I agree that some of the Filipino foods listed here are kinda off. Kare-kare for one I know has higher calories because of the peanut butter although I don't know of other Filipino foods because those that I eat are kare-kare, lechon, sisig, crispy pata which are high in calories & kilawin (kinda similar to ceviche) & grilled seafoods are low calorie. However I'm not sure if McDonald's, Subway, KFC, Burger King etc. has the same calories as the one listed here, I'm sure that there are difference because of the ingredients.

I also use that calculator whenever I cook my own food although honestly I don't know how to make a Filipino dish aside from the kilawin, I only know how to eat them :P
  • khei20
    khei20 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    its hard to tell if its accurate or not. that's why i prepare my own meals and i gave up fast food. eating clean is the main key. by the way, you guys might want to check #pinoyfit page on FB. i'd love to meet you there =)
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, do you have an idea how accurate Filipino foods listed here? How do you estimate your foods? Currently I use the generic ones whenever I have something Filipino like halo-halo, gulaman or kare-kare. Also I have no idea if McDonald's, KFC, Subway etc. in the Philippines uses the same ingredients as the one in US or overseas. I see some calorie listing of these fast food stores from US, Canada, UK, Australia, NZ, México etc. but never saw one from Philippines. I know most restaurants & fast food chains here don't disclose nutritional info in public & that is the downside because I know most foods here are high in calories & fat.

Anyway I consulted a nutritionist at my gym & then she told me that most of the food items listed in several sites are US based & that the ingredients may not be the same. I told her that I'm eating approx 1400-1600 cals a day when not working out (I'm currently on cutting cycle) & around 1800-2000+ cals when working out or when I'm in bulking cycle but when the nutritionist assessed the foods that I typically eat daily, she told me that I only eat close to 1050 cals a day which is way too low for me! Based on my age, current height & weight, my BMR is 1315 cals and that excludes those muscles that I gained so meaning my bmr is more than that. I'm not here to lose weight & my aesthetic goal is to have a fitness model body which translates to high muscle mass & around 16-17% body fat.

Good Evening LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo,

When I cook my Filipino dishes. I scan all of the ingredients that I use to make the dish with my Android phone & I measure out every ingredient that I put into the dish. I created a recipe and submitted into MFP for Sinigang. I hope they approve it for the rest of the community. It took me a while to figure out how to use & Create a Recipe on MFP. I also look at other cooking websites like Allrecipes to get more Nutritional facts.

I don't know if this will help you with the restaurants in the Philippines but I use a website called Caloriecount.com to get the Nutritional facts from restaurants.

. Be Blessed in health, healing, and wholeness! Have a blessed and prosperous day! AMEN †
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses everyone. Well that's what I also experience here.

I also cook my own food at home but its mostly Mexican foods, grilled salmon or tuna with many chili peppers since I love spicy foods. I admit that I'm not a fan of most Filipino food & in fact only have a few that I like such as kare-kare, kilawin (yes I love raw fish), lechon and sisig (the last two I prefer beef as I'm also not a fan of pork). However the problem is that I'm always out of the house & there are times where my schedule is hectic that preparing food to bring to work becomes out of the question.

Whenever I eat out, its mostly Kenny Rogers or Subway.