Cycling shoes / cleats / clips / SPD....HELP!!!

Options
Frannybobs
Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
When I'm cycling I'm finding that my feet slip off the pedals and I lose momentum. I'm just using some old running traininers, Nike Airshox or something. The pedals are metal and have jagged edges (sorry for poor description) - standard as fitted to Specialized Vita Elite 2012 if that helps. I was at a local cycle shop yesterday and looking at their cycling shoes. I am hoping to get a mountain bike and go off into the woods and slightly off-road at weekends, so ones for MTB and commute, so not the shiny slippy road ones.

I saw that a lot of them had rubber things on the soles you could remove to clip to pedals - I think these are what people refer to as 'cleats'. Now I have zero co-ordination and am a little worried about this and the potential for multiple falls. So I thought about a compromise and having the metal front half clip things to put on the pedals so the front of your foot is under that - but not at the sides so you can get out.

But then that would mean I don't get the benefit of greater momentum on the upwards part of the pedal motion. Looking on here I see reference to clip and clipless pedals, SPD, different cleats etc.

Please can someone help explain and perhaps give a bit of guidance. So if I'm getting an MTB as well - one that would work for both would be great - or different options advised for both would be fine too

Many thanks,
Fran

Replies

• dazlite
    dazlite Posts: 45
    Options
    Hi Fran,

I'd advise getting something like Shimano SPD pedals. You can get small ones which you only have the option of clipping into, or larger ones which clip in one side and are flat to let you wear regular shoes on the other side.

With the matching Shimano cycling shoes these work a treat. They have thick rubber soles to ensure your foot stays completely flat which really helps. The cleats screw into the soles, they are actually metal. This is the bit that clips into the pedal.

I was worried about these at first, but you just need to practice a bit. To get your foot out of the pedal is you just need to twist your heel 45 degrees outwards. The trick is to do this in advance of traffic lights potentially changing, etc.

I've been using them for over a year and not fallen off once. I find they really help me keep my foot in the right place and I can also pedal faster as I can pull the pedals up as well as pushing them down.

Go for it Franny, you won't look back!

Daz
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Thanks Daz - that really helps. I think the "clipless" bit was confusing me - but I get it now!! I am thinking I may go for it - with the ones that you can adjust to come out more easily at first :-) Going to properly look into it now - better to buy online or try in a shop do you reckon? I think the shoes I'd like to try on....
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I've been using spd's for six years now. No falls yet. I do set my release tension fairly loose but not loose enough to pull out during the stroke. As far as buying, I get my pedals online (if it's a lot less) but I always try my shoes on in a shop setting. Different companies will size slightly different. I have a pair of Northwave that are a 44 while my Bontrager pairs are 46.
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Brilliant - thanks for all the advice :)
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Others have already given good advice and yet I'll throw in two more cents.

How fast are you looking to ride? IMHO if you are not trying to race then the clipless system is extra expense with diminishing returns. I do have a clipless system on my road bike but that is because it was given to me.

For casual riding and commuting I prefer the pedals with cages (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BW3HKU/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i03). These pedals give me near the same efficiency as the clipless system except I do notice that soles on my sneakers are really not stiff.

My plan for my main commuting bike will be to use those pedals with a set of mountain bike shoes so that I get the stiff sole of a cycling shoe but can still pedal the bike without special shoes if needed and I'll be able to walk when not riding the bike.

BTW, I have not yet fallen with the clipless system and the efficiencies gained are nice when my average speed exceeds 18mph. I have fallen once with the caged pedals because I adjusted the straps too tight on a shoe I was wearing for the first time. You learn to roll like a turtle when you realize your foot is stuck to the pedal.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I found this podcast to be very helpful when deciding to go with clipless pedals. Even though they don't specifically mention SPD style pedals, the base information of using toe clips vs. clipless systems is very sound. I am using Shimano SPD pedals and Specialized Taho Mountain Bike shoes. A vast improvement over the rat trap pedals and skater shoes I was using. I have actually gained about 1mph average in speed for the same effort over the standard pedals. Clipping in and out takes some practice, but it doesn't take long at all and they are well worth it..
    I concur with looking at the dual sided SPD pedals like these: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-A530-Dual-Platform-Pedal/dp/B001MZ2AGO/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1339452703&sr=1-4&keywords=bike+pedals+clipless

I'm currently using the Shimano PD M530 Trail Mountain pedals, they are similar, but mine have the clips on both sides of the pedal. It makes it much easier to ride with my cycling shoes, but more uncomfortable with regular shoes because of the clip. Try some out, I bet you will fall in love with them.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I use SPD-SL pedals with the 'yellow' cleats (6° of float) - love 'em to bits!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    On my Hybrid, where I'm concerned about walkability and getting onto the pedals fast (I ride in traffic) I use SPD pedals that also have a platform side. For shoes, I wear recessed cleats. That way, if I have to GO quickly, I don't have to worry about clipping in. I can just hit the platform side and clip as I move.

Plus, I can just use the platforms if I don't want to wear cleats. Also, I take these to spin class and I can walk into the gym with them. No one would know they are cycling shoes.

I use SPD-SL on my road bike. HAVE to clip, and walkability sucks. But I feel like it's a better combo for power (partially because my other cleats have squishy soles)

I stand to can't ride without clipless pedals anymore!
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone - that's all really helpful. I think I may start with the dual pedals and see how I get on with the clips, but I've got the option to just cycle normally if I choose. It looks like Shimano is the brand to go with, I've seen some Shimano ladies MTB shoes (got good treads but not totally clumpy) as they have the bit you can take out and put the cleats in (sorry, not quite got all the jargon yet!) and they'd do for the mountain bike I'm looking to get for weekend rides

I am definitely looking to improve and go faster, and do some bike events, such as Manchester to Blackpool I did last year (62 miles) and the Great Manchester Cycle I did last week. I'm not in it to become an elite athlete (obviously) but I like challenging myself and beating my best times etc. I average 13mph on my commute to work but it's not flat, so it would be great to see a further improvement to that .

Oooo I love getting new cycling stuff :) Cheers all- I love this website!!!
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    One thing that may save you some money,
    If you go to you local bike store and ask for a set of "Take Off's"
    These are standard clip-less that are taken off a bike and replaced with higher end or different pedals.
    The standard one I have seen in most shops have the flat on one side and clip-less on the other, but the platform can be removed to make them dual sided clip-less.

They are inexpensive way to try them out.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have been using cleats for about 4 years on my road bike. Got a new to me touring bike this past winter with traditional pedals and cages (toeclips). I realize how much I now circle pedal. I pull up with every stroke, as bike articles call for. So, to do this with my clips, I tighten them down. I have actually fallen more with clips than with clipless. I am going to buy clipless pedals soon and shoes that have inset cleats to ride on my touring bike.
  • dragonfire1967
    dragonfire1967 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You might want to start out with toe cages for your pedals and then transition later on when your riding skills improve. It is not only a huge adjustment to make from regular pedals to toe cages and clip on pedals, but the cost to install clip pedals and the additional cost of the shoes is a pretty significant investment. If you start with the toe cages there is still a bit of a learning curve to using them. Clip pedals are pretty daunting knowing that your feet are pasted to the pedals, especially if you are not used to the feeling. Ask your local bike shop for advice on the toe cages and the clip pedals. Most bike shop employees are very helpful because most are avid, experienced riders themselves. Toe cages can run from $40 and clip pedals can run from $40 to plus $100 in addition to the shoes, which can run from $40 to $200 plus. Hope this helped.
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Just to let you all know that after some careful consideration and chatting to various people, I got some proper cycling shoes - the ones TDGee mentioned, but women's version - Specialized Tahoe 2012 Women's MTB shoes. I also got some dual pedals, Shimano PD-M324. Hope to try them out next week!
  • jaded082
    jaded082 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this Fran. Lot's of great info here I needed also!
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Just to let you all know that after some careful consideration and chatting to various people, I got some proper cycling shoes - the ones TDGee mentioned, but women's version - Specialized Tahoe 2012 Women's MTB shoes. I also got some dual pedals, Shimano PD-M324. Hope to try them out next week!

I have used a pair of Specialized road shoes for 3-4 years as mentioned above. Enjoy using them, but when I ride into town (35 miles) to meet my wife shopping, I need to remember to send shoes with her or I have to walk funny all day.

This past winter, I bought a used touring bike, and using toe clips. Yesterday, I went to my LBS and bought new shoes. And, without paying attention to the discussion here, I too bought Specialized Tahoe shoes. I got the SPD A530 pedals with SPD on one side and flat on the other. Then, I can ride my Trek to the office with regular shoes when I want. NOw, time to install them.

Hope you enjoy yours and feel this was a good decision in a month or two. When I got my first pair, I put my bike in the trainer and practiced getting out. Saved me from falling on the road.

Ride safe.