Is everyone weighing themselves daily?

Options
When I was trying to lose weight before I got pregnant I used to weight myself daily in the morning. Now that Im pregnant I've realized that the gain is inevitable and it may be damaging to my self image if I concentrate so much on the number. Im 32 weeks no and the doc wants me to try and minimize weight gain for the rest of my pregnancy. I've gained 40lbs total. I'm not sure if I should be weighing myself in between OB visits, though. Im going every 2 weeks for the next month and then weekly for my last month. The last visit went well, I had only gained one pound in the 2 week period (thanks to MFP:) I'm worried that if I obsess too much about the weight that I may be inclined to make less healthy decisions for me and the baby, such as working out too hard/too long, or not eating as much as I should. Do you all weigh yourself often?

Replies

• mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Once a week.....naked, first thing in the morning, post bathroom, pre breakfast. If i weighed myself more often I'd cry everyday. After years of being on weight watchers I had a really tough time coming to terms with pregnancy weight gain and i'm still struggling with it but learning not to be so hard on myself. It sounds like you know what you need to do.....eat healthy, stay active and get lots of rest, your baby is almost here! good luck!
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Ive had to do awa y with the scale for a bit, because i get near hysterical when i step on it. I cant cut my calories anymore for the fear that me or the baby are not getting the right nutrients. I am hoping that my initial weight gain of 10lbs is mostly water. I now am just relying on my dr appt weigh ins until i get to my second trimester
  • Schuyler
    Schuyler Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I used to, but a couple of months ago put the scale up. I had gained 10 lbs in a month in my 2nd trimester and it was depressing me. No need to see the number go up and have no way to get it back down. I'm also 32 weeks and since that appointment where I gained 10 lbs, I've only gained 2. I decided that for me it wasn't worth the stress. I'll deal with the weight gain after pregnancy. Until then I make smart choices and work out.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    yup every morning. It helps keep my weight in check and be more aware of what i am eating and what to stay away from.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Nope, because your weight will go up and down daily due to sodium, water, etc... I just weigh myself once a week and it keeps me on track.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    i weigh in about 2 times a week. I'm almost in my 2nd trimester and haven't gained anything yet. first pregnancy I stopped looking at the scale and gained 60lbs. don't want to go there again. hoping to be between 25-30lbs this time..
  • ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am weighing once a week. I have doctor's appointments every two weeks (because I'm high risk), so I get weighed quite often! It sucks!
  • JLatham325
    JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Once a week.....naked, first thing in the morning, post bathroom, pre breakfast. If i weighed myself more often I'd cry everyday. After years of being on weight watchers I had a really tough time coming to terms with pregnancy weight gain and i'm still struggling with it but learning not to be so hard on myself. It sounds like you know what you need to do.....eat healthy, stay active and get lots of rest, your baby is almost here! good luck!

^This, I do the same thing, once a week, after I do my morning pee, naked, etc. I actually did my weigh-in this morning, and I'm 27 weeks today, and up 21 pounds total so far now, which I've been at for the past 2 weeks. My doctor also asked me to slow down my weight gain, because she prefers that I only gain 30 pounds overall.... however I have 13 weeks left, so honestly I'll be happy if I stay under 40 pounds.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I weight daily, but mostly weekly. I'm 27 weeks and up about 25-30lbs. I work out daily and try to control my food intake the best that I can (I'm no saint!), but the weight is just piling on. I think most of it is water and baby with a little fat. At this rate I'm hoping to stay under 40-50lbs. It's so hard coming to terms with the weight gain. But what I've learned is that you can't compare yourself to other women. Everyone gains differently! My mother gained 60 and lost it all within a month. My best friend on the other hand only gained 30lbs... and a year later she still hasnt lost anything (no clue how that worked).
  • katkada
    katkada Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes I do!! But i fluctuate back and forth like crazy. they say your not supposed to weigh yourself everyday because when your pregnant the water weight fluctuates and it seems like thats what happening. I am 28 weeks and i fluctuate daily from 154 to 151
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do weigh myself daily as it is my habit and I can't help it. I feel that it kind of helps me, if I've gained 2+ lbs in a day then I really try to cut down on sodium the next day and drink a lot of water. I understand it fluctuates, even before getting pregnant, and do not get too upset because of this. I think I will continue to weigh daily, but it is what it is :)
  • Aphrodite3010
    Aphrodite3010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I probably weigh myself twice daily, in the morning and before bed. Ive maintained my 30+ lb weight loss and know that for me, I'm actually losing weight still but the baby weight is balancing that out so I'm within a few lbs of my lowest weight. My OB isnt concerned at all about my weight and I continue to lose at every appointment. Ive just been eating far healthier and working out a ton more than my last pregnancy where I gained 30 lbs and lost none of it. I'll be very curious to see where I am about 2 weeks post partum.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi

I weigh myself every few weeks. I didnt gain much to start with but at 20 weeks I was up 20lb, but now at 31 weeks Im up 25lb so its balancing out.

You dont get weighed here (UK) at your midwife appointments and they never have asked re weigh gain so Im just keeping an eye on it myself as I want to be able to get back into my old clothes.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I was weighing every day but I had to stop I would fluctuate like 4 lbs day to day so Im not really on a routine with it bc I've been so constipated LOL so I will usually weigh the morning after I can finally go to the bathroom, tmi, sorry! :)