Hello Everyone!:) New & Looking For Some Support & Advice!:)

Options
CountryMom03
CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
First off, let me introduce myself a bit:) Im a 35 yr old SAHM to 3 wonderful kids and a very loving and supportive husband:) I have a 13 yr old daughter, a 11 yr old son and another 9 yr old son:) My youngest son was just recently "officially" diagnosed with ADHD combined type. Its something that I knew for awhile but never had the official diagnosis. Since then, I went on a search...I knew I had to help my son some how, but also knew there was no way I was letting them put him on meds. We have decided to go the natural route. That being said...about 8 mnths ago I dug into the internet hard core looking for ideas and such. I found this one group called Feingold. It is a HUGE group of people who have had success at eliminating their childs symptoms by simply eliminating all processed foods, artificial colors, dyes, flavors and also preservatives. I did this and saw amazing results from not just my youngest but my others too! But it didnt completely fix the problems although its helped drastically. Anyways lol...through doing this, it got me digging deeper into food, nutrition etc etc and I was just floored at everything I found. I read a book called "Traditional Foods Are Your Best Medicine" and it just made SO much sense. The more and more I read ingredient labels and read what all are in them, the more and more I have started to despise the food industry and the FDA and all those involved who have their pockets filled by these huge food companies. And dont EVEN get me started on GMO's lol. So..with all this knowledge we have been eating pretty much a non-processed diet for 8 mnths now. There is still stuff I will buy that is processed but it cannot include any of the above ingredients in it or else I wont buy it, it has to be a TRULY all natural product for me to buy it. I also buy organic when I can...some things are such a bit more expensive and I will go ahead and get the organic on those items because I feel safer with them than non-organic. But some things are just WAY too much more expensive for our budget or they just dont carry any in organic so I have to get what they have there. So now we have been doing this for about 8 mnths now. My husband is totally on board and supportive although we had a bit of a conversation over the louisianna hot sauce he loves so much LOL and my boys are totally on board with it and actually enjoy eating healthy things. Then....there is my 13 yr old lovely daughter;)....*sigh* She never was on board and still isnt for the most part and makes her views on it vocal quit often LOL. She loves the new meals I make now and all that but she just cannot get over some of the changes that we made and def doesnt like not being able to eat junk food and junk snacks. I call those toxic snacks and toxic food LOL. I have heard that going non dairy had been successful for ADHD kids and wondered about it but thought better of it and just let it go...if we make a change for my son it will be our whole family because I am not one to say we all can have this, but you cant, etc. And Breads, Pastas, Meats and Dairy are HUGE in my family. I mean seriously, we eat tons of it and love every bit of it lol. So I just didnt think that we could pull that one off, although I was willing to at least give it a try.

THEN...my mother in law showed me that they were having this showing of Forks Over Knifes in our local community theatre last night and asked if me and my husband wanted to come along. I read the pamplet on it and although it didnt say too much I knew this was something that I DEF wanted to go see since it dealt with health and nutrition. So we went last night!:) Most of it was stuff I already knew but some of the research, studies and stuff just BLEW me away!! I knew eating whole foods that hadnt been processed was best and that if you ate anything other that you are putting your life at risk for all those diseases and sickness that the junk they put in food these days causes. BUT I didnt know about meats and dairy! Those two things were new to me. I just sat in aww the whole time. At some point throughout the show I had already had it in my head that we needed to change and do this. Then almost immediately Im thinking....but dairy???? cheese?? butter?? milk?? sour cream?? Ice cream?? ranch dressing?? Oh my goodness lol, how am I EVER going to give those up??? And even a better question, how will I get the rest of my family on board? Personally I think I can do it. It will take time for me to adjust but I do like greens, salads, onions, tomatoes, etc so I think I will make it especially with all the gained health benefits from it. I very cautiously brought it up to my husband last night afterwards and asked him what he thought about it...and he felt like I did, was nervous and afraid but knew the benefits and is willing to give it a try. The problem with this though is that my husband likes VERY little lol. He despises onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, He hates any kind of berry...sigh...how would I be able to find stuff and meals without using something that he doesnt like? I just dont see it working! lol. Then there is the kids...with my two sons, me and my husband both agreed that we could bring them over to accept it pretty easily with talking and explaining. My daughter???? ehhh not so much LOL. As my husband said last night...she would move out! And believe me if she could she would. This would totally send her over the edge I believe. I made her give up all the other stuff and she was just trying to come to terms with that and now I may be taking even more away?? geez lol.

Im so sorry this is so long!! I just felt I needed to introduce myself and let you know our story so that maybe you could see where we are and maybe offer some advice and support? I think if and when we do this, it might be best if I do it gradually instead of all at once hard core. I think of all the benefits this could give me and my husband not to mention my kids and it just seems like the right thing to do! But very very scared and nervous and lost at the same time. I honestly know nothing about whole foods plant based diets as far as whats allowed and used and whats not, etc etc

But when I think about my cholesterol coming down, maybe my tiredness, and my husbands arthritis, hips, aches and pains it seems totally worth it to me despite all the other health benefits. I want as many yrs with him and my kids as possible!

Oh...and btw I am also trying to loose 60 pounds on here! hense me being on MFP LOL;) Thanks for listening!

Replies

• CountryMom03
    Options
    Since I plan on doing it slowly and not all at once, maybe I could just not say a whole lot about it? Maybe by doing it slowly they wont be as apt to notice?
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I am the only one sticking to plant-based foods in my house. My husband and sons are omnivores. Last night for dinner I roasted chicken for them, sauteed some zucchini and mushrooms for all of us and served fresh strawberries on the side. So pretty much they eat a main dish and we all eat the side dishes. I do let my kids have junk food occasionally but not at home. It is an adjustment but has worked out pretty well so far. Best wishes on your transition. Hopefully our kids can look to us as good examples of what a healthy diet can provide . . .
  • quiescentaureateserpent
    Options
    Congratulations on your changes. Seriously. I used to eat all sorts of animal products.

Gentle persuasion is something I try very hard to stick to. It is something I desire to hold onto and keep it close to me as I wander through life seeing things that make me cringe. I will tell you that i am quite passionate about things I see as unfair or hurtful. I like to think of myself as the superwoman in a special suit that can come to the aid of those that I see suffering needlessly. Someone to put up a gentle but firm arm in between those things I see as being the cause of harm and those about to be harmed.

One of those things that I believe in firmly is being vegan. Yes I know I am sure there are some people that have had bad experiences with vegans. But know that I try to offer people the opportunity to experience what the food is like. I try my best to reinforce the experience with something positive. Am I perfect? No. Have I offended people? I am pretty sure I did with the vehemence in my voice and cause. Even though my voice remained calm at the time. I do have strong feelings.

I began in January as a vegetarian. We consumed Milk and Eggs and Cheese and Butter and yogurt and anything but the flesh of animals. I thought things were going along rather well. But my boyfriend Alexi made his feelings known to me. I respect his feelings above almost anyones and so I listened to him. I said well I cannot just go vegan like that *Imagine a finger snapping in the air* Yet he really believed in this and while I was not ready for it, I went ahead with it. I walked and most likely stomped up to my neighbors flat and knocked on his door. I tried with a calm voice to explain to him that we had some food for him. Was I happy in this moment? Not even close. But he came down and I methodically went through everything to see what we could have and by the time I was finished my neighbor had several bags of food.

The whole time I sat in my chair with an occasional glare at Alexi. I was not a happy camper but I remained silent. Our neighbor who is a lovely man left with the food and I had a calm talk with Alexi. See I cannot take yelling or being yelled at. It hurts me.So I told him that I was not happy and what would we be eating? I think a typical question for anyone that wonders what vegans eat. I felt lost to be truthful. So I told him if we are going to be vegan I had to have some things that did not change.

1. Hot Tea or coffee with cream in it.

2. Toast with butter.

Honestly those were big deals for me. He duly wrote down on a list the things that I needed and then put his notebook away. I took care of him and he held me that night as I think I still grumbled a bit. When we woke up I made him what I could. See I have always had quite a bit of pride in my cooking skills. I grew up in a house where my mother shooed me out of the kitchen and did not teach me anything. So here I was basically starting over. I was just lost..so throughout that day I did some research on the internet and later that night when Alexi came home he brought home soy milk and hemp milk and some dairy free butter spread and bread and fruits and tomatoes. The next morning he made breakfast. I was handed tea that tasted exactly the same as I remembered. He had purchased also single cream soy milk. The toast was a bit lighter than I was used to but I ate it slowly trying to get used to the taste.

He left for work and I tried my hand at my first vegan recipe and I found out that it was delicious. Here I was slowly over time working with ingredients I had never even heard of. Some i recognized but had never had before. So I had tofu, tahini, all these new herbs I had never head of.

The first thing I did was walked into the kitchen and grabbed a scone mix. I checked to make sure I could use it and jumped up for joy when I found that I could. I got the cocoa powder and some dried apricots and some ginger pieces and some almonds and some California seedless raisins. I mixed in some apple juice instead of the egg and then the required water and made my first vegan dish. I checked on the oven scared they might burn and they didn't. I was being a bit silly. When I took them out I looked at them sniffing them a bit apprehensive. Then I tried one and it was good. I would have jumped for joy if I could have. So I put them in a bowl in the microwave and waited until Alexi got home.

Now every night I run him a bath and make him a cup of tea and set up a candle and some incense and sometimes I make a dessert. I spoil him but he works so incredibly hard. He deserves it and I would do anything for him. Making him smile is a joy I look forward to. He loved them ! That made me so happy. This being the first recipe I did not write it down. But I fixed this from now on.

My next experiment was this one. *Points Down*

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

This recipe feeds myself and then a full lunch for my boyfriend. You will need.

2-3 Large potatoes.(Any color you like)

1/2 cup of onions (I usually use frozen)

1/2 cup of bell peppers(I use frozen that I cut up myself)

1/2 cup of any other veggies you may like.I recommend tomatoes,leeks,mushrooms,carrots,peas.Usually anything you have handy.

Half a cup to a full cup of pressed tofu pieces. You can usually find them in your dairy section and sometimes in the frozen section.

1 Heaping tablespoon of turmeric

Enough fresh ginger that when cut up fills your palm heaping.

Two garlic cloves

Salt and pepper to taste.

Now I usually begin by cutting up my potatoes into cubes and wait until the water in the pot is almost boiling. You can check them by pulling one out and testing it. You only want them about halfway cooked no more. Then on the other burner you put in some hemp,olive,sunflower oil...whichever you prefer. Enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Then put a lid over it and cut up your ginger and garlic. Once you have that you put it into the hot oil with the onions and peppers and whatever other vegetable you picked out. Cover on high for about five minutes then turn it down to medium low or setting 3 on your hob.

Then stir it and watch it cooking.Make sure it does not burn. Then stir in the turmeric salt and pepper. Cook until slightly all dente. Or a little more if that is what you like. Put it on a separate plate.

The potatoes once they are halfway done drain them and set aside. Then put a little more oil in the pan and once hot on high again toss in the potatoes and cook until crispy and golden.

At this point your potatoes will look exactly how you like them. Then toss in the tofu and the vegetables you just cooked. Mix well. Serve hot with a cut up tomato on the side or some greens etc.

This is my favorite dish right now. I hope you like it !

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    Well once I made this I was hooked. It was more of an experiment in the kitchen after this. Since then I have learned of the practices in the animal industry and have felt so sad. There is a difference since I learned all of this. When I go shopping and I see people and their carts full of meat and cheese and eggs and milk.. I know that they are doing themselves a disservice. Once you know the information it is impossible not to unlearn it. So you find yourself biting your tongue when you see people doing these things. When you see them not reading labels. I cringe when I see people doing there things and I have to hold back from saying anything. It is as if I have been instilled with this need to help my fellow man. I want to help them. I want them to live healthy lives and help all of these millions of animals that suffer needlessly.

My friends, bless them know how vehemently I feel about all of this. They know and they listen to me patiently. Some of them are trying to make changes and I feel good. But at night when Alexi is home I ask him. Am I doing the right thing when I tell them? Do you think they resent me? Do you think they wish I would just shut up so they could go on with their lives and not think about these things? Do they understand that I really sincerely care about them and I want them to live as long as possible and be healthy? Do they know that all this pain I am living in only strengthens my will to try and give other people a better life? I am not pompous, nor a know it all. I am always learning more. Every day.

Some people I think just listen and move on in their life. If I manage to plant a seed in one friend and help them then good. I do not watch animal cruelty videos because it is fun for me. I do not watch it because it makes me feel good. But it is knowledge. It is a perspective. It cannot and should not be ignored. So I share these things with my friends and I hope one day that people will stop.

I hope for a world where there is no more animal product consumption.

This is a list of animal products. When you read all the things they make out of animals you may feel sick. You may recognize some of these ingredients as items that are in your own products. Products that you might use every day.

http://www.peta2.com/STUFF/s-AnimalIngredientsList.asp

Now PETA is a good source of information. But I am not some enormous blind follower of them. Every group has it's issues. I am not trying to pass judgment.

Now are there some people on this planet that cannot be vegan? Yes I think so. Some of the tribes that live up towards the Arctic circle are limited on the things they can eat. So would i force them onto a vegan diet? No of course not. For the man who live in a rural part of the world that cannot afford to feed his family and is getting no help. Say he goes out and shoots some rabbits to feed his children. Am I going to go down there and preach to him about how wrong he is? No of course not. There are exceptions to almost any thing in this world really.

Some of the biggest arguments that I hear is this.

1. Being vegan is expensive - No actually if you think about it buying a bag of chickpeas some bulk herbs and some oil combined with some rice, potatoes or pasta and bags of frozen veggies are actually much cheaper than meat cheese eggs and milk.

2. Being vegan is hard - No not really. It is a change. That is the hard part. Adapting is the eventuality if you are determined. IF you need help then I do have a vegan beginners group on facebook. Here is the link http://www.facebook.com/groups/310251979023374/ You can ask me to join and I am happy to offer you help.

3.But meat tastes so good - no not really. It is a texture you have grown used to. Most people do not just put meat in a pan and cook it and eat it. They cook it with spices and cover it in gravies or marinades etc. You can do the same thing with tofu and it has a large portion of protein in it. If you have any doubts. Watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNCGkprGW_o They name Americans quite a bit but this is also true for people in any modern industrialized country.

http://www.readersdigest.co.uk/fruits-of-hot-climes/fast-food-facts-effects-and-health-risks-of-a-junk-food-diet/html Talks about the UK.

4. Animals do not feel pain. What about free range?

Farm to Fridge - The Truth Behind Meat Production
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THIODWTqx5E

Earthlings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky4RGYva90E&feature=fvst

I am quite sorry to show you these. But the screams these sentient beings make haunt me. They stay with me. I suffer with pain every day of my life. How can I possibly justify causing millions more animals to suffer without trying to help them? I just cannot do it. If you tell me I cannot watch this because it is painful. I will tell you again. Imagine how painful it is for them. I beg you to reconsider your habits please.

Also I have a vegan beginners group on facebook with lots of resources and If I can be of any help at all please let me know. You can just start buying fake meats and tofu and dont tell them what it is. You would be suprised how much the texture resembles meat. They do not have to know. I will include a few videos for you. To help you.

http://adelicatebalance.com.au/#
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VWi6dXCT7I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNCGkprGW_o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce4DJh-L7Ys

There are tons of resources out there and I am happy to offer my help in doing it. There are vegan sunflower butter spreads that may not be exactly butter but if you scoop it out into the regular containers they wont know the difference. Then voer time you can change that out. Eggs you do not need there are alternatives. In fact my husband is in the kitchen right now making a tofu scramble and it tastes just about like scrambled eggs. IT is all possible and if I can help you then that would make my day. :)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/310251979023374/
    Options
    Oh and there is such a thing as vegan junk food. It is really good. Now in moderation just like regular junk food but here are some recipes.

Here are some recipes I found. I hope you like them. =^.^=

Ice Cream Cake
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup cocoa powder
    2 tsp. baking soda
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 tsp. distilled white vinegar
    1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
    2 cups cold water
    2 pints nondairy ice cream, flavors of your choice, softened
    10 to 15 chocolate-cream sandwich cookies (such as Droxies at Keebler.com), finely ground in a food processor
    1 cup strawberry topping or pie filling

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Stir in the vanilla, vinegar, and oil. Add the water and stir well. Immediately pour the mixture into the two cake pans, dividing evenly, and bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes.

Allow the cakes to cool before removing them from the pans, then divide each cake into two layers. Put the bottom layer of one cake on a serving platter. Spread one pint of the nondairy ice cream over the top and sprinkle it with the ground cookies.

Place cake, uncovered, in the freezer for several hours to firm up.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Ambrosia
    1 cup each of chopped fresh pineapple, apples, and oranges; sliced strawberries; and organic grapes
    1/2 cup shredded coconut
    1 Tbsp. cornstarch
    6 Tbsp. lemon juice
    3 Tbsp. sugar
    3 Tbsp. orange juice
    1/2 cup soft tofu, pureed
    2 tsp. grated orange rind
    1 tsp. poppy seeds (optional)

In a large bowl, toss the fruit and coconut until well blended. Refrigerate.

Combine the cornstarch with the lemon juice in a medium saucepan and stir until well blended. Place the saucepan over low heat and add the sugar and orange juice. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the stove and allow to cool thoroughly.

Fold the pureed tofu, orange rind, and poppy seeds into the juice mixture and chill for at least 1 hour.

Pour the dressing over the fruit immediately before serving.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Apple Caramel Bake
    3/4 cup flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 cups apples, peeled and chopped
    1/2 cups slivered almonds
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup margarine
    3/4 cup boiling water
    1/2 cup soy milk

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease an 8"x 8" glass baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, apples, and almonds. Set aside. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the brown sugar, margarine, and boiling water. Stir until the butter is melted. Add the soy milk to the flour mixture. Stir well then spread into the prepared baking dish. Pour the sugar topping over the batter and bake for 40 minutes.

Apple Cobbler
    3-4 Granny Smith apples
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. ground cloves
    1/2 tsp. ground allspice
    1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
    1 cup plus 1 tsp. sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
    1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch pan. Cut the apples into thin slices; place in the pan. Sprinkle the spices and 1 tsp. of the sugar over the apples. Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and remaining sugar. Cover the apples with the flour mixture. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned. Preparation time: 15 minutes Baking time: 20 to 30 minutes

Apple Crisp
    4 large tart apples
    3/4 cup sugar or other sweetener
    1/2 cup flour
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1-1/2 cups rolled oats
    1/3 cup Spectrum Naturals Spread or margarine

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Peel the apples, if desired, then core and thinly slice them. Toss with 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, and cinnamon. Spread evenly in a 9" x 13" baking dish.

Mix the rolled oats with the remaining flour and sugar. Add the Spectrum Naturals Spread (or margarine) and work the mixture until it is uniformly crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the fruit.

Bake for 45 minutes, until lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Apple Oat Muffins

Makes 12 medium muffins
    1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    1-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1-1/4 cups quick oats or oat bran
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
    2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    2 large apples, finely chopped
    1 12-ounce can apple juice concentrate
    1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 325°F.

In a large bowl, mix the flours, oats, spices, salt, and baking soda.

Add the chopped apple along with the apple juice concentrate and raisins. Stir just enough to mix.

Spoon batter into nonstick or lightly oil-sprayed muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes, or until tops bounce back when pressed lightly.

Banana Dream Pie

Serves 8
    1 vegan pie crust
    1/2 cup sugar or other sweetener
    5 tablespoons cornstarch
    2 cups rice or soymilk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 pound firm tofu
    2 ripe bananas
    2 tablespoons coarsely chopped almonds

Prepare the crust according to directions. Cool.

Mix the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan, then stir in the milk and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until very thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.

Drain the tofu and blend it in a food processor until it is totally smooth, then add the pudding and blend until smooth.

Slice the bananas into thin rounds over the cooled crust. Spread the tofu mixture on top.

Toast the chopped almonds in a 375°F oven until lightly browned, about 10 minutes, then sprinkle evenly over the pie. Refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 2 hours.

Chocolate Pudding

This is delicious, old-fashioned chocolate pudding. Makes about 2 cups
    2 cups fortified soymilk or rice milk
    3 tablespoons cocoa
    5 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine milk, cocoa, cornstarch, sugar, and vanilla in a saucepan. Whisk smooth.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until pudding is very thick.

Pour into individual serving dishes and chill.

Easter Pie
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup dairy-free margarine
    1/4 tsp. sugar
    1 1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 cup water
    1 lb. vegetarian sausage, crumbled
    2 lbs. firm tofu, crumbled
    1/4 cup soy Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
    1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
    1/4 tsp. cayenne
    1/4 tsp. paprika
    1/4 tsp. ground fennel seeds

Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a food processor, combine the flour, margarine, sugar, and 1/4 tsp. of salt. With the machine still running, add the water to form a dough ball. Divide the dough into two balls and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the vegetarian sausage, tofu, soy Parmesan, parsley, remaining salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and fennel seeds. Roll out the dough into two 11-inch circles. Place one circle in a 10-inch pie plate and spread the filling mixture over it. Cover with the other dough, pinch the edges, and prick the center with a fork. Bake for 1 hour, or until golden brown.

Peanut Butter Pie
    16 oz. soft tofu
    1 cup creamy peanut butter
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 Tbsp. soy milk
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 unbleached, 9-inch chocolate crust, chilled

Combine all the filling ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Spoon into the pie shell. Refrigerate at least 2 hours and serve. Preparation time: 20 minutes Chilling time: 2 hours

Tiramisu
    2 cups flour
    1 cup sugar
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 cup margarine (2 sticks), softened
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 cup prepared egg replacer or 1/2 cup soft silken tofu
    2 cups strong coffee
    6 cups nondairy whipped cream (try Rich's at Richs.com) adding 2 Tbsp. amaretto or Frangelico in the last 30 seconds of mixing
    2 cups strawberries and bananas, sliced
    Bittersweet chocolate shavings or cocoa powder

Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, combine the margarine, vanilla, salt, and egg replacer or tofu, then add the margarine mixture to the flour mixture and blend thoroughly with an electric mixer. Spread this mixture on a greased and floured 11-inch-by-17-inch baking sheet or jellyroll pan and bake for 35 minutes. Allow to cool, then cut into "fingers."

Dip the cake "fingers" into the coffee and lay several in the bottom of four individual glass serving bowls. Top them with sliced fruit and a dollop of the whipped topping. Repeat these layers twice more, ending with whipped topping. Garnish each with the bittersweet chocolate shavings or cocoa powder.

Cover the tiramisu dishes with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours before serving.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Black Forest Gateau

Ingredients

Cake Ingredients

350g SR flour

25g cocoa

270g caster sugar

150ml sunflower oil

275ml water

1 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Other Ingredients

170g/6oz soft tofu

100g (4 oz) dark chocolate

1 carton of dairy-free whipping cream + more for decorating

1tsp vanilla essence

1 tin of black cherries, drained, cut into halves and soaked in kirsch.

Chocolate curls for garnish

Instructions

Cake Instructions

1) Put self-raising flour, baking powder, sugar and cocoa in a bowl and mix well.

2) Pour over vegetable oil and then the water and vanilla essence.

3) Beat thoroughly with an electric whisk.

4) Pour into two round 8" sandwich tins and bake for about 25 minutes at 180ºC until cooked through.

Other Instructions

1) Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.

2) Whisk together one carton of whipping cream, the soft tofu, melted chocolate and vanilla essence.

3) Pour into a bowl and chill until the cake has cooled down.

4) Arrange cherry halves in concentric circles on top of one of the cakes, and spread some of the chocolate cream mixture on top.

5) Put the other cake on top, and top with the remaining chocolate cream mixture. Decorate with more whipped cream.

Chocolate Brownies

Ingredients

75g (3 oz) vegan chocolate

150g (6 oz) vegan margarine

150g (6 oz) soft brown sugar

150g (6 oz) self raising flour

1tsp natural vanilla essence

3 -4 tablespoons of soya milk

Instructions

1) Melt the chocolate with the margarine in a bowl over a pan of boiling water.

2) Stir in the sugar, soya milk and vanilla essence, then add the flour. It's a strange gloopy consistency!

3) Spread into shallow oblong tin and cook for about 20 minutes at 200ºC/400ºF until cooked but still a bit squidgy.

4) Leave it in the tin to cool, then cut into slices.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Battenburg

Ingredients

1/2 almond/vanilla cake

1/2 chocolate cake

1 block of marzipan

Apricot jam

Instructions

1) Cut each cake into 4 equal 'fingers'. 2 vanilla/almond and 2 chocolate for each cake.

2) Arrange the cakes as shown in the photo, sandwiching them with a very thin layer of jam.

3) Roll out the marzipan. You need two rectangles that are about 7" x 11". (The length of each battenburg x 4 times the width).

4) Spread jam thinly over marzipan rectangle and place battenburg along the shorter edge. Roll the cake up tightly in the marzipan, pressing down where the edges meet.

Chestnut-pear Jalousie Tart with Amaretto Coconut Cream

This was a very special treat we enjoyed over the weekend. The flavors are a lovely blend of sweets, nuts and fruits. A jalousie tart has a top that looks like jalousie blinds.

Yield: 4 individual tarts

Ingredients:

for the tarts:
    8 sheets frozen puff pastry 6 inch x 6 inch squares ( 15cm x 15cm)
    2 ripe pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
    1 cup sweetened chestnut puree
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    pinch white sugar or sprinkling

for the whipped topping:
    1 cup coconut cream, chilled to be almost solid
    3 tablespoons amaretto
    1-2 tablespoons powdered sugar

Directions:

to make the tarts:
    Preheat the oven to 355 F (180 C).
    Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
    Thaw the puff pastry sheets.
    Place 4 puff pastry sheets on the baking tray.
    Spread the chestnut puree evenly over each of the the pastry sheets, leaving a 1/4 inch or 2cm border around the edge.
    Peel and slice the pears.
    Place the pear slices on top of the chestnut puree, overlapping slightly and sprinkle over the cinnamon and brown sugar.
    Moisten the edge of the puff pastry with a bit of water.
    If your pastry has waxed paper “stuck to it”, you can easily slice 1/2 inch parallel lines to make the jalousie strips a this time, and still handle the pastry gently to place on top of the pears.
    If your puff pastry does not have the paper attached, then place the pastry on top of the pears, crimp the edges closed with a fork, and then cut 1/2 inch parallel strips along the top to form the jalousies.
    The “jalousie strips” should go almost to the border of the tart, but not completely, as you want the tart to remain closed at the edges.
    Brush the pastry with a bit of water and sprinkle with the white sugar.
    Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the pastry if puffed and golden.
    Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
    It tastes great warm or at room temperature.

to make the whipped topping:
    Remove the chilled coconut cream from the can or container and place in a bowl.
    Add the amaretto and powdered sugar,
    Whip with a better to a firm smooth mixture.
    Place in the refrigerator to cool until needed.

Serve the tarts on individual plates plain, or with a dollop of amaretto cream and dusted with a light pinch of cinnamon.

Notes:

We are able to buy canned chestnut puree, either sweetened, or plain. If you can only buy plain, then warm the puree, with a bit of non-dairy milk add a bit of vanilla and sugar to taste. Mix well and remove from the heat to allow to cool. If you can not buy the puree at all, the bake whole chestnuts, peel, and then cook in non-dairy milk with vanilla and sugar to taste. Then using a staff mixer puree the cooked chestnuts.

Try these.
    Tofu is your best friend. Silken Tofu is your best friend for making vegan mousse and cheesecake and so on. Nutritional yeast you can add to give things a cheesy flavor. Applesause instead of eggs.

http://www.mediapeta.com/peta/PDF/infographicVeganBaking-peta.pdf

((VERY LARGE DISCLAIMER))

Always check labels. Check them every single time. I do it even on things I buy all the time. Because sometimes companies change things and do not warn their consumers. Also the less ingredients that are in things the better they are for you. Simple is better. If you see a chemical in there you do not recognize either set the jar down gently. Step away slowly and run away screaming. Write it down and look it up later. Or avoid. Personally if I cannot pronounce it I do not buy it. Also invest in a small notebook and a pen. Take with you everywhere to write down prices and compare. This will save you money. Save your reciepts and label everything.

1.Peanut Butter

2Fruit mixed with honey or agave syrup..

3.Frozen vegetables are a plus over canned. Get colorful veggies. Try something new.

4.Look for in season vegetables or fruits and eat them. Now some fruits and vegetables you can freeze! You will know if you go here and look at this guide. http://www.vegkitchen.com/tips/freezing-food/ In there you can find the best ways to freeze items and what items you can freeze and how. This extends the life of your food and the money you spent. I always always look at the discounted fruit and veggies.

5.Thick grainy bread or spelt bread. Do not eat white bleached bread. There is very little nutritional content in there. Also change your bread once in a while or it might get boring. Check labels.

6.Rice. Wild Rice Only

7.Spelt Pasta. Careful some is made with eggs. Once you find one that is not made with eggs then buy bunches. I recommend large bins made of plastic kept in a cool area to store food.

8.Greens ! Lots and LOTS of greens. My favorite is to take the greens and you take the leaf lay it flat.Look for spot and yellowing and cut that part off. Then using a knife and a cutting board you cut out the center. That hard bit. DO NOT throw it away. Then take the leaves and set them to the side until you get a large enough pile to make you happy. Then put the hard bits in a bowl. Take the leaves and wash them.Then dry off or get rid of as much water as you can. Then taking your hands but the leaves up into bite sized pieces and in the middle of this take a cast iron pan if you have one. If you don't then please get one. Heat up some sunflower or olive or sesame,walnut, hemp etc oil to medium heat. Place the leaves into the oil crack some pepper over them and some salt. Then using tongs if you have them move them around until they wilt. Keep an eye on them the first time you make them. Then once they are all wilted put them into a bowl and ENJOY. They are so good for you and very reasonably priced. The hard parts I recommend that you use to dip in some hummus.

9.Tahini. What is that? It is ground up sesame seeds toasted and made into a nut butter of sorts. You can use it to cook. Now if you have a food processor and some olive oil you can make your own. :)

10.A healthy cooking oil. As I mentioned before what I recommend is. Coconut oil, Olive oil(the darker green the better for me), toasted sesame oil, walnut oil, hazelnut oil, sunflower oil. I avoid corn, vegetable, canola and rapeseed. Trust me they are not that good for you.

11.Beans of all kinds. We buy them dry and soak them overnight to make massive portions of tasty beans for a few days. If you are concerned about the gas just rinse your beans and that will get rid of quite a bit of that.

12.Chickpeas are amazing. I recommend getting them dry as well.

13.Nuts any and all kinds. Walnuts, cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans, macadamia, pine nuts. Any that you can afford really.

14.Seeds pumpkin, poppy, sunflower. Excellent source of protein.

15. I HIGHLY recommend stevia. Do not use anything synthetic. Such as SPLENDA, anything with ASPARTAME. DO not be fooled by Truvia and all those that have stevia but do not tell you the other ingredient. When in doubt go online and find a source of Stevia and buy it.

16.Coconut, Rice, Hemp milk. Good stuff ! I discourage you going out and buying veggie sausages and patties right away. You are trying to become vegan not buying food that resembles meat is a good start.

17.Hot pepper sauce is benificial on veggie dishes and veggies

18.Fresh Ginger Root is fabulous in cooking ! When you break off a piece of ginger it will sort of seal itself off. Do not worry. You can also cut up the whole root and dice it and freeze it.

19.Fresh Garlic use it love it !!

20.Onions are great for cooking. We usually buy frozen bags of veggies to put into cooking. They are usually very reasonably priced. If they have a huge bag on sale then buy them and some frozen food bags and wear goggles and cut them up and freeze them in huge bags. If I can do it you can too. :)

21.Bell peppers. Same as above buy if cheap. Even if some of them seem a bit soft you can just cut that bit off. Get over your sqeamishness. Save some money. Cut them up drizzle a bit of olive oil over them and roast them in the oven. OR you can cut them up and freeze them. Then when you have rice or potatoes or pasta and want something to go with them it is quick open freezer and drop in frozen anything you have. Frozen is way better tasting than canned.

22. I recommend concentrated indian pastes and curries for your cooking needs. A tiny bit goes quite a long way and you will have flavor intense foods. Check out the international portions of your stores please. You would be amazed at some of the differences in prices.

23.Spices. There are so many spices with specific uses. I highly recommend them to you. In my spice cabinet are about thirty different bottles.

http://www.veganstreet.com/veganliving/spices.html

http://vegnewssavvyvegan.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/save-big-on-spices-and-herbs.html

Oh and remember that when you buy spices in their bottles you are paying for the bottle. It is silly. Buy baggies and keep the spices in a dark drawer. OR Go to a craft store and buy silver cans with metal lids and store your herbs and spices in there. Make sure you buy a roll of labels and label everything so you have a quick guide to what you have. I found in the indian section you can buy bulk cumin, tamarind, cardamon, coriander, dill and so on. So again look in the international section or those small stores that sell international food.

24.Chai tea. Buy it or make it yourself. It is not hard and it is really good !

http://www.chai-tea.org/recipes.html That is one source for all kinds of good chai blends.

25.Olives are good for adding flavor and texture.

26.Tomato and garlic puree in tubes. Buy these. They come in handy for flavor.

27.Sun dried tomatoes in a jar are always a good thing to have on hand.

28.You can add all sorts of spices and make something interesting.

29.Tortillas, wraps, english muffins, bagels made out of spelt flour. Check labels of course.

30 Dairy free butter. Look for all natural spreads with no dairy. Not margarine. Margarine is so bad for you !

31.Rasberry and other fruit sorbets are mostly vegan.AVOID high fructose corn syrup anywhere you can.

I cannot stress enough taking matters into your own hands. Read labels. Stock up on food when it is on sale. Get storage bins. Prepare ahead of time by buying the basics. Sticky labels, Sharpies, Save all your jars and cans, recycle your plastic bags by letting them dry inside out. Cast Iron pans last forever and cook food much better. They do not flake off all that horrible enamel that manufacturers put on things yet forget to mention how bad they are for you. Take your time and breathe. Remember to focus and if you have any questions then please come and ask me. I am more than happy to help you.
    Options
    I thought this might help you if your daughter argues with you. Also something I found out..make the vegan junk food and give her that sometimes. That should make her happy and just dont tell them that you are going vegan.

I did not write this. But I cannot find the Author. So I am just saying this is not my writing but intelligent and informative nonetheless.

How humans are not physically created to eat meat

Although some historians and anthropologists say that man is historically omnivorous, our anatomical equipment ­ teeth, jaws, and digestive system favors a fleshless diet. The American Dietetic Association notes that "most of mankind for most of human history has lived on vegetarian or near-vegetarian diets."

And much of the world still lives that way. Even on most industrialized countries, the love affair with meat is less than a hundred years old. It started with the refrigerator car and the twentieth-century consumer society. But even with the twentieth century, man's body hasn't adapted to eating meat. The prominent Swedish scientist Karl von Linne states, "Man's structure, external and internal, compared with that of the other animals, shows that fruit and succulent vegetables constitute his natural food." The chart below compares the anatomy of man with that of carnivorous and herbivorous animals.

When you look at the comparison between herbivores and humans, we compare much more closely to herbivores than meat eating animals. Humans are clearly not designed to digest and ingest meat.

Meat-eaters: have claws

Herbivores: no claws

Humans: no claws

Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue

Herbivores: perspire through skin pores

Humans: perspire through skin pores

Meat-eaters: have sharp front teeth for tearing, with no flat molar teeth for grinding

Herbivores: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Humans: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly

Herbivores: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Humans: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat

Herbivores: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Humans: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Meat-eaters: salivary glands in mouth not needed to pre-digest grains and fruits.

Herbivores: well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits

Humans: well-developed salivary glands, which are necessary to pre-digest, grains and fruits

Meat-eaters: have acid saliva with no enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Herbivores: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Humans: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Based on a chart by A.D. Andrews, Fit Food for Men, (Chicago: American Hygiene Society, 1970)

Clearly if humans were meant to eat meat we wouldn't have so many crucial ingestive/digestive similarities with animals that are herbivores.

Many people ask me, "If we weren't supposed to eat meat than why do we?". It is because we are conditioned to eat meat. Also, the ADA (American Dietetic Association) tells us that "most of mankind for most of human history has lived on a vegetarian or Lacto-ovo vegetarian diet."

A popular statement that meat eaters say is; "In the wild, animals kill other animals for food. It's a part of nature." First of all, we are not in the wild. Secondly, we can easily live without eating meat and killing. We all would be healthier this way. Finally, as I have already shown, we weren't meant to eat meat. Meat putrefies within 4 hours after consumption and the remnants cling to the walls of the intestines for 14-21 days. If a person is suffering from constipation the rotting meat can stay in the intestines for months or years. Furthermore, the saliva in humans is more alkaline, whereas in the case of flesh-eating or preying animals, it is clearly acidic. The alkaline saliva does not act properly on meat.

The final point I would like to make on how we as humans were not meant to eat meat is this; all omnivorous and carnivorous animals eat their meat raw. When a lion kills an herbivore for food, it tears right into the stomach area to eat the organs that are filled with blood (nutrients). While eating the stomach, liver, intestine, etc., the lion laps the blood in the process of eating the dead animal's flesh. Even bears that are omnivores eat salmon raw. However, eating raw bloody meat disgust us as humans. This is why we must cook it and season it to buffer the taste of the flesh.

If a deer is burned in a forest fire a carnivorous animal will NOT eat its flesh. Even circus lions have to be feed raw meat so that they will not starve to death. If humans were truly meant to eat meat then we would eat all of our meat raw and bloody. The thought of eating such meat makes one’s stomach turn. This is my point on how we as humans are conditioned to believe that animal flesh is good for us and that we were meant to consume it for survival and health purposes. If we are true carnivores or omnivores we would eat animal flesh raw and bloody. Cooking our meat and seasoning it with salt, ketchup, mayo, mustard or tabasco sauce disguise the awful taste of flesh. This is the only way we as humans would eat meat because we refuse to eat it raw and bloody like real carnivores.

Overall advantages of vegetarianism

You can reap a lot of benefits by being a vegetarian and people have become more aware of the health benefits of being a vegetarian. Animal rights issues is only one of the reasons why people decide to go on a vegetarian diet. People are beginning to care more about the environment. However, the main reason why most people go on vegetarian diet is due to the health benefits.

Meat is not good for you as it clogs your thinking. This is especially true if you eat red meat; white meat has less fat compared to red meat. Excessive intake of fats into your body can result in having a high level of cholesterol. If you think that not eating meat is going to make you look scrawny or unhealthy please think again. Just imagine that cows, goats, gorillas, elephants, rhinoceroses and so on are all vegetarians (herbivores) but look at how tough these animals are. They also have a longer life span compared to the carnivores (meat eating animals).

If you look at the chicken and vulture (carnivores), these animals eat just about everything and notice how unhealthy these animals look. The Chinese believe that the chi or life force in your body is less when you consume meat and so do the Indians with their ancient yogic principles [their life force was called prana].

The great Tai Chi masters of China were adept at preserving their chi. Even though some of the masters were not vegetarians they still had a balanced diet. It has now been scientifically proven that a balanced vegetarian diet is better compared to a diet that is taken with meat.

There are a lot of misconceptions about being a vegetarian; protein is one of the main topics of debate as a lot of people think that you can only get protein from meat. Vegetarians get a lot of protein when they eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes. What vegetarians don't get is the excess protein of the traditional American diet. This type of diet leads to liver toxicity, kidney overload and mineral deficiency diseases.

A lot of people also think that a vegetarian diet is not a balanced diet. Vegetarian diets have a proportion of three macro nutrients which are complex carbohydrates, protein and fat. Vegetarian food sources (plants) tend to be higher sources of most micro nutrients. Another myth that needs to be clarified is the so-called lack of calcium among vegetarians. Many vegetables especially green leafy ones have a good supply of calcium. The truth is that vegetarians suffer less from osteoporosis (a deficiency of calcium that leads to weak bones).

It is not my intention to force people to become vegetarians. However, vegetarianism is my answer to complete health and wellness. The three issues to consider in regard to vegetarianism are: spiritual, mental and physical (nutritional).

The spiritually aspiring person attempts to work on his/her self. The purpose of spiritual growth is to move away from the animal nature into the more human nature that God intended for us to have. Meat eating inhibits this. The same science that attempts to ignore the existence of a force higher than man also proved that aggression levels are much higher in meat eaters than non-meat eaters! The animal instincts become more powerful every time you eat meat. Another spiritual aspect of being a meat eater is when one must question the necessity and method of killing animals. However, everyone has their own morals to which they must determine for themselves. It is not the purpose of my dissertation to force a specific moral behavior on anyone. Most spiritual people believe in auras. Kirilian photography shows us that a force field still remains around dead or amputated flesh. You adopt that animal aura when you eat it's dead flesh. Fruits and vegetables have a higher vibration al aura than animal products.

“You are what you eat”, is a slogan that I love to use to show the mental aspect of vegetarianism. When animals are slaughtered, fear and aggression enzymes are shot into their muscle tissue. They remain in the meat until the consumer ingests the flesh and adapts the same emotions. Fruits and vegetables do not have emotions; therefore, when they are picked they do not release any emotional cells prior to digestion. The enzymes within fruits and vegetables supply the body with sufficient nutrients that will always uphold a healthy state of mind.

Fruits and vegetables are high in nutrients; the very thing the body needs to live a long disease and pain free life. The same cannot be said for meat. Nutritionally, the alkaline-based digestive system of humans will not properly break down substantial acid substances of meat.

Colon cancer is rampant! This is caused by the slow evacuation and putrefaction of meat in the colon. Lifelong vegetarians never suffer from such an illness. Many meat eaters believe that meat is the sole source of protein. However, the quality of this protein is so poor that little of it can ever be utilized by humans. This is due to its incomplete combination of amino acids [the building blocks of protein]. Studies show that the average American gets five times the amount of protein needed. It is a common medical fact that excess protein is dangerous. The prime danger of excess meat consumption is uric acid (the waste product produced in the process of digesting protein). Uric acid attacks the kidneys and breaks down the kidney cells called nephrons. This condition is called nephritis; the prime cause of it is overburdening the kidneys. More usable protein is found in one tablespoon of tofu or soybeans than the average serving of meat!

Have you ever seen what happens to a piece of meat that stays in the sun for three days? Meat can stay in the warmth of the intestine for at least four to five days until it is digested. It does nothing but wait for passage. Often, it usually stays there for much longer. Medical doctors have found traces of undigested meat remaining in the colon for up to several months. Colonic therapists always see meat passing through people who have been vegetarians for several years, thus indicating that meat remains undigested there for a long time. Occasionally this has been documented in twenty-year vegetarians!

Some vegetarians claim they are more satisfied after they eat. The reason for this is that there are fewer ketones (protein-digestive substances) formed when vegetable protein is digested. For many, ketones cause a trace amount of nausea which one normally interprets as a decreased desire for food due to this uncomfortable and slight degree of queasiness. Although the body calls for more food, the taste buds tolerate less. This is the danger of the popular high-protein diet substances on the market. This abnormally high level of ketones is called ketosis and refers to the state of starvation that the body incurs due to the inability of the appetite to call for nutrition. Most Americans who eat the wrong type of carbohydrates never recognize the high amount of complex carbohydrates required to overthrow this condition. Keep in mind that when the blood ketone level are too high it results in abnormally acidic blood called acidosis.

Tigers or lions who eat meat have an acid-based digestive systems. Our Hydrochloric Acid isn’t strong enough to fully digest meat. Also, their intestines measures about five feet long, not twisted and turned, layer over layer, compacted into a small area like the human intestine [which is twenty feet long].

Meats are frozen for a long period of times. Some meats (especially poultry) are frozen up to two years. Cold temperatures do not kill all species of bacteria. Worse than this, as it is shipped and stored, most frozen meat is thawed and refrozen many times. This is almost unavoidable.

Meat eaters suffer more frequently from various types of food poisoning than vegetarian. Statistics show that every American has had food poisoning at least once. When you've felt ill, had diarrhea or were just a little sick to your stomach, no doubt you had not the slightest idea that you had been poisoned by scavengers living off the dead carcass you just ate.

Meat is costly and it is the most wasteful source of resources. When one removes meat from his or her diet a whole new world of eating opens up. Cooking and preparing vegetarian style is no more time consuming than cooking meat. It costs less than half as much to eat vegetarian as it does to eat meat. There are excellent, nutritious, and easy to prepare vegetarian dishes that are Italian, Chinese, Indian, Mid-Eastern, French, Spanish, etc.

Additionally, one can enjoy many other foods that he or she has never tasted because of the meat craze. Most consumers have eaten no more than five or six varieties of beans and legumes. This is less than 10% of what is available.

In my opinion, there are far more benefits to becoming a vegetarian then there are staying a meat eater. Due to the fact that I was raised on meat, I have experienced both worlds. As a meat eater I was constantly sick, tired, and overweight. As a vegetarian, I am healthy, full of energy and maintaining a perfect weight. I love being a vegetarian and it shows. Because I wish the best for myself, it’s just second nature to want the best for others. From my past experience and research, going vegetarian is the best thing anyone can do for their mind, body and spirit.
  • CountryMom03
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the information and support!:) Quiescentaure...I will DEF be trying out those recipes next week when I go to the store!:) Thank you!:) I feel alot like you do. The more I learn, the more I want to shout it out to the whole world so they will know and also be informed! It really hurts though when I bring something up or have a video or documentary that I share and no one even cares or even takes the time to just watch it! Im not asking them to watch or read this and then change their whole life, thats not what Im after. I would just like them to take the time to look at it and thats it!! But they dont:(

Back when we started eating healthier, I became a nut about it. All these carcinogenics toxins are in just about every type of food in the grocery store, even fruit!!! They DYE certain kinds of fruit to make it look "prettier"!! And despite them saying...oh just wash it good and it will be fine is just a bold faced lie. It seeps through the skin and into the fruit itself, and the tests and studies prove it! We are living in a time when cancer is running rampant and our kids are coming down with all forms of it at an earlier and earlier age, heart disease and diabetes are coming up in our kids at very young ages even with kids who arent overweight! Autism and ADHD are the majority in kids instead of the minority. Now...you see all this...and then you see all the studies that are overwhelming in saying its what we are putting into our bodies thats the culprit, and how can people NOT want to change how they eat? Doesnt your family, your kids, your husband deserve it? And if you had the choice...which you do...wouldnt you want to reverse the damage to your body thats already been done?? The only thing that I can think of is that most people do not and will not ever look at it...they wont watch the videos, they wont research the studies and that way they can just shrug it off easier when they hear someone mumbling about it.

I used to post on FB every article I read that had to do with the ingredients in food because I truly care about my friends but it got to a point to where no one ever commented or said anything at all, it was like I was talking to the air so I just gave up. I will still post one here and there if its a really good one or very important one, but the way I see it now, they know me, they know how I feel about all this and if they one day wake up and want more info, then they can come to me and Ill do my best to help them.

I know what you mean about the animals and how they are treated. I have seen undercover videos of what goes on in these factories and farms and it is disgusting and just plain out cruel. All of the meat I buy are organic and grass fed. Yes I know that abuse still happens in those also but I dont think its as prevalent as the huge company mass producing ones. At least its better and also doesnt contain any toxins in the meat. Speaking of my daughter lol, she actually refuses to eat any beef or dairy that isnt grown and cared for humanly. She saw a video of the beef and dairy cows and how they were treated and she decided then that she didnt want to have any part in it, even if its just consuming it. We took a trip to the actual farm where our meat and diary comes from without them knowing we were coming just to see if they would let us in and give us a tour. To my surprise they did!! They took us out and let us see all the cows, see the inside of the plant, etc the whole works and that was nice, alot of places wont do that.

I too and a livid ingredient checker hehe. Thats the first thing I do when I pick up a package or item and I always start at the bottom of the list and go up because usually the bottom is where you find all the toxins and chemicals. You also have to be careful because sometimes the food in a bag will be ok and pure but the packaging it is in will be sprayed or laced with a toxin, *sigh* they really make it tuff on people! lol

We used to eat some vegetarian meats, like chicettes, stripples, worthington brand veggie meats, etc until we realized it too contained carcinogens and msg's. My husband grew up a vegetarian so we naturally ate some also when we got together:) Im nervous though when it comes to soy milk, havent done alot of research on it but depending on what I find I may just stay clear of it all together if its possible due to the majority of all soy comes from monsanto and has GMO's. Granted I still buy some things that have GMO's in it because its all they have available but I do try my best to get as little as possible that is. And Im not perfect by no means lol. I still have my favs that I endulge in from time to time that I know are bad...like coke products lol, but Im working on it and getting better:)

Thank you for all the advice and support! I will def check out that group you have on FB because its something I truly want and feel is needed, just going to take some time of incorporating it more into our meals and becoming adjusted to it:) And thanks for the recipes!!:) Cant wait to try them out:)
    Options
    In the US sadly much soy does in fact come from that source but not all. There is also oat milk. We love that one. There is also hemp milk coconut milk almond milk hazelnut milk and so on. Perhaps find a bulk organic provider online and weight the costs yourself?

I know that organic and grassfed seem kinder. But this is just my personal opinion. When the time comes they are still killing that animal. When you cook it's flesh then you get carcinogens. If you watch a delicate balance it goes into that more.

I want a few pet pigs to be honest but out flat is too small for it. So we hav einstead two lovely kitties that masquerade as panthers. :)