Ab exercises with sensitive scar tissue?!

Options
Lose_It_Leo
Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
I was wondering if anyone has any tips to help improve toning my abs? I have some weak scar tissue that I have to be very careful with not to damage as it might cause me to have another hernia. It annoyingly causes me to do uneven exercises - it's not intentional, I do it instinctively. I should note that it has fully healed but it didn't heal well and has left me weaker there overall.

Replies

• mariaj1979
    mariaj1979 Posts: 31
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone has any tips to help improve toning my abs? I have some weak scar tissue that I have to be very careful with not to damage as it might cause me to have another hernia. It annoyingly causes me to do uneven exercises - it's not intentional, I do it instinctively. I should note that it has fully healed but it didn't heal well and has left me weaker there overall.

Thats a bit of a toughie, have you considered kettle bells? its an all over work out that doesnt bulk you up and doesnt require doing sit ups or crunches. Hope that helps
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will give that a go.
  • Anna_43
    Anna_43 Posts: 117
    Options
    Will be watching this topic as post op myself... Have 3 small scars and one bigger, had a kidney removed less than 2 month ago so really not supposed to exercise at all but....

To add to it, can not even walk as I used to as now my poor dog had a hip replacement 2 weeks ago so needs to be on cage rest and only 5 min pee breaks 4 times a day - and we used to walk for hoursssssssssssssssss every day.

I am worried I will not put all that weight back on.....

Plebzillion - have you spoken to your GP about "Exercise Referral Scheme"? It is like a post code lottery really as not available in all UK but perhaps worth asking?

Mine referred me but then I was diagnosed and had to have an op so had to put it on hold. The way it works is they refer you to a guy and you have a plan made specifically for you so taking into account any medical conditions you may have. The fees are very low roo as you are being referred.

I plan to give mine a call next week and see if they can book me now, could not do it before the durgery but perhaps now....
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Thats a bit of a toughie, have you considered kettle bells? its an all over work out that doesnt bulk you up and doesnt require doing sit ups or crunches. Hope that helps

What exercises would you recommend, and what's a good weight for a beginner?