New Years Resolution

Options
MNchick
MNchick Posts: 371 Member
So, for the last umpteen years, I've resolved to lose weight...and jacked it up every. single. time.

This year, my resolution was to spend at least one weekend a month away from Augusta, GA. As a single person in a military town, a lot of my friends are either married or don't have the money in their budget for a lot of extras, so i had kind of got in the habit of just sitting at home with my dogs...which is lame.

Off with my resolution!

January - Estes Park, Co - 2 friends got married and we had 10 people stay in a huge cabin! made new friends, had Elk hang out in our back yard. The hotel where we had the reception was the inspiration for Stephen King's The Shining

February - Allentown, PA - went to go hang out with a military friend home on leave from Spain and meet their family/friends

March - Myrtle Beach, SC - a coworker owns a condo, so we did an office trip. got to know my coworkers a lot better, and this was while I was training for a half marathon and I was able to do my first 4 miler!

April - Helen, GA - THIS PLACE IS AMAZING! It is like being in Germany, without flying over an entire ocean! Got to do some yummy wine tasting, horseback riding and MET NEW PEOPLE (some were even from MINNESOTA!)

May - North Myrtle Beach, CA - I signed up for the Run Like A Diva Half Marathon...AND FINISHED IT! I got to know my running buddy so much better...I don't know how I lived without her before, and met so many fun people along the way.

June - Atlanta, GA - heading out to a HUGE Crawfish Boil with some friends I met TEN YEARS AGO when a girlfriend and I just decided to go hang out in the Buckhead area of Atlanta. I still talk to them and they do this crawfish boil every year and, talk about a fun bunch of people.

I may not have met Mr. Right through all of this (YET!), but I've been able to meet some pretty awesome people along the way.

Just thought others might like to make a 2012 and a half resolution!

(i don't know if it will be August or September, but I know I'm gonna be able to finally meet some awesome Minnesota MFPers face-to-face!)

Replies

• dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    That sounds like an awesome resolution. I take it you meant one weekend PER MONTH away from Augusta, Ga.
  • MNchick
    Options
    haha, you're right...I corrected it!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Really fantastic resolution, I love this idea!
  • dbrightwell1270
    Options
    If your travels ever take you to Springfield IL, I can point you to Lincoln's tomb, his home, his Presidential Library and Museum, and his old law office. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be much of a guide. I've lived here for 4 years, work within 5 blocks of everything but his tomb and haven't been to any of them.
  • MNchick
    Options
    If your travels ever take you to Springfield IL, I can point you to Lincoln's tomb, his home, his Presidential Library and Museum, and his old law office. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be much of a guide. I've lived here for 4 years, work within 5 blocks of everything but his tomb and haven't been to any of them.

I've been guilty of the same thing! That's why it's fun to have people visit...it forces you to see things you haven't made time for !
  • MNchick
    Options
    Oh...forgot to point out that I think it is kinda funny that the year I didn't resolve to lose weight is the year that it happened!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    You should try and go to Savannah one weekend. I love that town. Also if you ever make it up to Charlotte let me know, we could be two MN girls in the south.
  • MNchick
    Options
    You should try and go to Savannah one weekend. I love that town. Also if you ever make it up to Charlotte let me know, we could be two MN girls in the south.

Savannah is my favorite town!!!

I'll totally come up to Charlotte...I end up there a lot, but only because I fly US Airways all the time and have layovers there
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I love this post. So cool that you did this!!! I'm still working on the things that I have on my Leap List. :)
  • MNchick
    Options
    Also, I talked to my friend on Friday (the coworker I convinced to go to Helen, GA with me and that trip she was able to cross 'horseback riding' off of her bucket list) and she said that she'd be up for trying one of the Singles Cruises...this could be a fun Fall for 2012!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    So, for the last umpteen years, I've resolved to lose weight...and jacked it up every. single. time.

This year, my resolution was to spend at least one weekend a month away from Augusta, GA. As a single person in a military town, a lot of my friends are either married or don't have the money in their budget for a lot of extras, so i had kind of got in the habit of just sitting at home with my dogs...which is lame.

Off with my resolution!

January - Estes Park, Co - 2 friends got married and we had 10 people stay in a huge cabin! made new friends, had Elk hang out in our back yard. The hotel where we had the reception was the inspiration for Stephen King's The Shining

February - Allentown, PA - went to go hang out with a military friend home on leave from Spain and meet their family/friends

March - Myrtle Beach, SC - a coworker owns a condo, so we did an office trip. got to know my coworkers a lot better, and this was while I was training for a half marathon and I was able to do my first 4 miler!

April - Helen, GA - THIS PLACE IS AMAZING! It is like being in Germany, without flying over an entire ocean! Got to do some yummy wine tasting, horseback riding and MET NEW PEOPLE (some were even from MINNESOTA!)

May - North Myrtle Beach, CA - I signed up for the Run Like A Diva Half Marathon...AND FINISHED IT! I got to know my running buddy so much better...I don't know how I lived without her before, and met so many fun people along the way.

June - Atlanta, GA - heading out to a HUGE Crawfish Boil with some friends I met TEN YEARS AGO when a girlfriend and I just decided to go hang out in the Buckhead area of Atlanta. I still talk to them and they do this crawfish boil every year and, talk about a fun bunch of people.

I may not have met Mr. Right through all of this (YET!), but I've been able to meet some pretty awesome people along the way.

Just thought others might like to make a 2012 and a half resolution!

(i don't know if it will be August or September, but I know I'm gonna be able to finally meet some awesome Minnesota MFPers face-to-face!)

Pretty interesting idea. Sounds fun, and sounds like you're enjoying yourself.
  • MNchick
    Options
    Thanks...I think I'd go nuts if I just stayed home every weekend :)

Any suggestions for places to check out?
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options
    Have you been to Nashville or Piegon Forge yet?
  • MNchick
    Options
    YES and yes!

2 friends got married in Pigeon Forge back in 2009, that was really the first time I had spent any time in TN.

Last fall I had to work in Knoxville, TN for almost 6 weeks and at the end I went into Nashville and FELL IN LOVE! I thought I loved Austin, TX for the crowd and all the live music...Nashville totally won me over!
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options
    hrmm how about Charleston or Orlando or Pensacola.
  • MNchick
    Options
    Charleston a looooong time ago...2002, I think, so that's one I'll have to revisit!

And I've really only been to Jacksonville for a family Christmas, so...FL is on the list. I'm actually thinking of doing a few half marathons at Disney. One in November and one in January :)
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options
    I am doing the half at disney in Jan.
  • MNchick
    Options
    I am doing the half at disney in Jan.

Oooooh...how fast do you think you'll run it??
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options
    I have the Savannah Rock N Roll half in Nov and I think that will determine it right now I am thinking around 2 hours 40 mins.
  • dbrightwell1270
    Options
    I'm running the Rock N Roll half in Vegas in December. 2 hrs 40 mins is what I'm hoping for too.