prenatal exercises

Options
this has probably been already asked but I cannot find it. Well before I found out i was pregnant I has lost 19lbs and was doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Since it has ab exercises I know they're not allowed while pregnant. what do you suggest would be a good exercise to keep my weight or at a good level while I'm pregnant. I'm considered obese so I know I don't need to gain anything while pregnant.

Replies

• mrs_deg1983
    mrs_deg1983 Posts: 157
    Options
    try baby center.com
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of prenatal DVD - including a 10 minute Pilates one (which has 5 sections so 50 mins in total or just do part of it). It does have a core section which I do but its obviously modified for being pregnant.

I also walk most days (with dogs) and try to swim each week.

Hope you find something that works for you
  • Aphrodite3010
    Aphrodite3010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I walk 3 times a week and do a 90 minute yoga class to help keep me in shape and maintain my weight loss, at 26 weeks I have yet to gain anything and am stil down 30 lbs!
  • Schuyler
    Schuyler Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ab exercises are allowed during pregnancy. In the 1st trimester you really don't need to do anything different (listen to your body of course). In the 2nd and 3rd trimester you need to modify so you arent lying on your back. There are a ton of great prenatal DVDs out there. I like Prenatal Pilates with Lizbeth Garcia and Baby Bells (a kettlebell workout). I have been lifting weights in the gym and doing 45 min - hour of cardio (treadmill, elliptical, etc). Despite all my exercising I've still gained 35 lbs at 32 weeks. Sigh. I gained 45 with both of my other pregnancies, so I'm starting to think I'm just destined to gain that amount. Thankfully I've been able to lose it (and then some!) both times within 8 months. Enjoy your pregnancy and don't be too concerned with that number on the scale. Congrats!
  • DaynaR0se
    DaynaR0se Posts: 3
    Options
    Despite all my exercising I've still gained 35 lbs at 32 weeks. Sigh. I gained 45 with both of my other pregnancies, so I'm starting to think I'm just destined to gain that amount. Thankfully I've been able to lose it (and then some!) both times within 8 months. Enjoy your pregnancy and don't be too concerned with that number on the scale. Congrats!

This is the best advice -- don't worry about the scale, its more important to continue healthy habits through pregnancy. Awesome work on losing the weight in just 8 months!
  • breskittle
    breskittle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I found these DVDs called "Body By Trimester" (google it, theres a website & it shows sample videos so you know what it's like)
    There are 9 DVD's , 3 for each Trimester. I'm ordering them on Friday!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I've been doing water aerobics. Sounds silly, but you can make it difficult by increasing the resistance or intensity. I really like it. I was doing Stronglifts 5x5 program before, but unfortunately, I am no longer allowed to do compound lifts.
  • jessdeweerdt
    jessdeweerdt Posts: 128
    Options
    I'm 13 weeks, my dr has cleared me to do whatever exercises I want at this point. She stressed the importance of exercise and she said walk/run/dance whatever.. so, I'm back to my slow walk/jogging and zumba.. and when it's too much, I modify...