Calf strain help

Options
nowornever250
nowornever250 Posts: 69 Member
Hi

I'm training for the great north run and at the moment my longest run is 5 miles and am doing a 5k race for life this coming Friday. BUT on the last day of sunny weather we had in the north east I went out for a run and after 3 miles my right calf muscle pulled and I rested it for a week and went for a run yesterday and it was achy until I pushed to go uphill when it hurt again. No where near as painful as the original injury. So a couple of questions :

Any suggestions for treatment? I have used a cold spray and ibruprofen gel

As my long term aim is the great north run should I do the 5k if it still hurts or am I being a wuss thinking about giving it a miss?

Any suggestions more than welcome:happy:

Thanks Anne:

Replies

• theoldem
    theoldem Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As someone who "played" on with injuries and has regretted ever since, I wouldn't recommend it, listen to your body if it hurts don't do it !.

You need to make sure you are fully recovered before you push it, as you could end up making your recovery far longer, i would start with some gentle exercises, and suggest you get some advice from a physio.

By the way when is the great north run, i am visiting the area for a holiday in July.
  • nowornever250
    nowornever250 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for that, will make up my mind on Fri morning I think, if I'm going to run. Will just go on the bike this week.

The great north run is on Sunday Sept 16th. So fingers crossed plenty of time to get the miles in and for my calf to get better.