Gloves

Options
katy84o
katy84o Posts: 744 Member
Hey everyone, this will be my third week into lifting and i'm starting to notice small calluses forming on my palm below my ring finger. I'm not really concerned right now about them but I figure as I start to lift heavier and heavier these calluses may get bigger. For those of you who have been lifting for a while, is it worth purchasing gloves?

Replies

• jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.

The gloves helped me with my grip early on, so I thought, but working without them forced my grip to strengthen on its own.

I needed the emotional comfort of them in the beginning...putting them on made me feel like a badass. :laugh:

I do have calluses, but they are flat, not huge. Get your grip right at the start (palm for pushing, nearer the fingers for pulling) and the bar won't move as much = easier on the hands.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that! I'll stick to glove-less for now :)
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options
    I find that gloves interfere with my grip, so I picked up one of those callous removal stone things you can use for pedicures and it's really helped. Glove-less is sexier anyways! :wink:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    in my case callous appeared after 3 weeks, and were really bad. gloves helped a lot, now I still have them, but flat and almost unnoticable.
    also, my grip got firmer with the gloves one,
    I know it's better not to use them, but for now I find them really necesarry
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves. They don't seem to affect my grip strength. Lifting without them makes my hands hurt for several hours aterwards.
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves.

My hands are tiny (barely wrap around the OLY bars) and I really struggled with grip as chalk seems to be a no-no at my gym. Sicne I started wearing the gloves I've found it much easier to hold the bars. If you can't circle them, you gotta find ways to modify ;)
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am wearing gloves at the moment purely because its so freezing and the bar is like a block of ice. Generally though, nope I love my callouses :)